Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A plan for Pentax MF going forward

Let's say that Ricoh are not ready to drop a new 70-80-90-100mp sensor into the 645z, or that sensor doesn't exist yet.

What about a mid-cycle refresh of the 645z, a 645Z II, with the following changes:

- K1 articulating screen
- Faster processor
- An array of shutter options such as full electronic, electronic first curtain etc
- selectcable long exposure shutter speeds when turning the shutter dial when in manual mode, such as 45s, 60s, 90s, 120s, 150s, 180s, 240s and more

Plus:

- release a super hot 45-90mm OS lens and a new 45mm f/2.8
- then release a 23mm f/4 or f/5.6 and a 90-180mm OS lens

The above camera would be a killer!

03-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #2

That all sounds pretty good to me...
03-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I think most people would be happy with the current body if they brought out some new lenses.
03-12-2017, 01:23 AM   #4

Exactly^^^

---------- Post added 03-12-17 at 01:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I think most people would be happy with the current body if they brought out some new lenses.
Your work is outstanding BTW.

03-12-2017, 02:20 AM   #5

Pentax has an option on the Sony 100MP sensor that's in the latest Phase One and Hasselblad. That was documented some time ago when they took up the option.

I'd be quite surprised if this never saw the light of day, unless market forces don't make it a viable product for them.

I'd also be very surprised if the camera design and engineering team was the same as the lens design and engineering team since these are two very different skillsets. So there's no reason why we couldn't be getting new lenses as well, especially as there'd be an expectation of new, high-quality glass alongside a 100MP sensor.
03-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
Pentax has an option on the Sony 100MP sensor that's in the latest Phase One and Hasselblad. That was documented some time ago when they took up the option.

I'd be quite surprised if this never saw the light of day, unless market forces don't make it a viable product for them.

I'd also be very surprised if the camera design and engineering team was the same as the lens design and engineering team since these are two very different skillsets. So there's no reason why we couldn't be getting new lenses as well, especially as there'd be an expectation of new, high-quality glass alongside a 100MP sensor.
There must perforce be some crosstalk between them, inasmuch as lens control technology is evolving within the Pentax ecosystem (PLM electronic aperture, and focus-by-wire becoming more common are examples, however much they may or may not relate to medium format in the near future). Optical design is certainly a very different kettle of fish, but driving the lens elements back and forth for focus (and perhaps even the optical stabilisation of lens elements) is ultimately handled within the camera, so there's that.
03-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
Forum Member

I'd like Pentax to just do anything in this segment, to show they still care really. I'm looking to upgrade soon (I still shoot the 645D), and wouldn't mind staying with Pentax given the not perfect implementations of the new similarly priced Fuji and Hasselblad options. I've also heard that Sony might be entering the MF market soon. I can't hold out longer than this summer.

03-12-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Let's say that Ricoh are not ready to drop a new 70-80-90-100mp sensor into the 645z, or that sensor doesn't exist yet.

What about a mid-cycle refresh of the 645z, a 645Z II, with the following changes:

- K1 articulating screen
- Faster processor
- An array of shutter options such as full electronic, electronic first curtain etc
- selectcable long exposure shutter speeds when turning the shutter dial when in manual mode, such as 45s, 60s, 90s, 120s, 150s, 180s, 240s and more

Plus:

- release a super hot 45-90mm OS lens and a new 45mm f/2.8
- then release a 23mm f/4 or f/5.6 and a 90-180mm OS lens

The above camera would be a killer!
This is a remarkably positive post. I mostly agree with your lens suggestions, although I worry about OS adding size/weight/cost in large measure. Those 2 workhorse lenses are due for a refresh, though. The difficulty here for Pentax is that if they can't keep the price down, most users will accept the current lenses as "good enough" (I have no complaints about them...). But I wholeheartedly agree with the addition of those primes----way overdue for the 45, and I'd be satisfied with a slow but small as possible wide, 23 or new 25. I'd even be willing to have it be a manual focus lens to save weight/size/cost---I feel like AF is less necessary for this sort of lens anyway.

All of us have differing desires for the body, but a couple of yours are certainly standard wants. I'd add for me much higher sync speed and better (by a lot) video, plus more interval shooting goodness. Needing these at work lately, and using the K1 to get it (which is saying something, as the K1's video is no great shakes...). And although I have been a touch screen luddite until now, I am truly converted after using my museum's new 5DmkIV's. I'd also add selectable colors for focus peaking and zebras. I much preferred red for focus peaking with my A7R.
03-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think that Ricoh will add in-body image stabilization and thus Pixel Shift to the 645. That fits with what Ricoh seems to be doing. The 50MP sensor is kept for another generation with the addition of Pixel Shift. Bring K-1 technology to the 645 line. That is probably cheaper than going with Sony's new sensor technology.
03-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That would require the space around the sensor to be used differently. I am sure it's feasible in the chunky body but wonder if they have an appetite for that. Hope so!
03-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by creative69 Quote
Exactly^^^

---------- Post added 03-12-17 at 01:26 AM ----------

Your work is outstanding BTW.
Thank you!
03-14-2017, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #12

if the guys at pentax had the slightest bit of brains they'd issue a press release saying "hey guys, 645z mk2 is in design stage. We expect to release more info in Q4 2017. Hold tight".
03-14-2017, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gavincato Quote
if the guys at pentax had the slightest bit of brains they'd issue a press release saying "hey guys, 645z mk2 is in design stage. We expect to release more info in Q4 2017. Hold tight".
The problem with that is that it would freeze sales of the 645z and all the distributors holding inventory would be pretty pissed about that.
03-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #14
Forum Member

Pentax is pretty bad at any sort of customer communication - whether it's about future plans or repair issues - it is the main reason I have issues with the company and reservations about sticking with them. The product itself usually does what it's supposes to, but they do not inspire confidence in terms of public optics.

If they were smart they would knock the price down for the existing Z, compensate retailers a part of the difference if they were that worried about backlash - and keep pressing forward. Dealers shouldn't be that mad if they have a new product in a few months that drives a lot of sales.
03-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The problem with that is that it would freeze sales of the 645z and all the distributors holding inventory would be pretty pissed about that.
I think 645z sales would be near frozen at the moment because of the gfx regardless..