Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2017, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Anyone got an Arsat 30/3.5?

I just bought one for 645 mount. It was cheap. I don't have my hopes set very high but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised if it's decent.
I read that old review on LL a while back which gives me hope.

Anyone else here got one? How do you like it?
I hope to take mine out for its inaugural shoot this evening.

03-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I just bought one for 645 mount. It was cheap. I don't have my hopes set very high but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised if it's decent.
I read that old review on LL a while back which gives me hope.

Anyone else here got one? How do you like it?
I hope to take mine out for its inaugural shoot this evening.
I am looking forward to seeing how the Arsat treats you. The Arsenal line contains some of the hidden gems of the former Soviet lens makers and I hope you like it.

Steve
03-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
Unregistered User

I had one with a Kiev. It was O.K. on film, might not be up to digital standards. Kind of odd, I think a fisheye works better on a smaller format, the depth of field on the Arsat is relatively shallow compared to smaller formats. I've got a Q 03 fisheye and I think the images from that are better because of the great depth of field.
03-13-2017, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, first outing was just to the local creek this evening. Seems pretty good but I see what you mean about DOF. I should have stopped down more, I think these are only f/8 and I backed off from infinity just a tad. The edges are soft and there is CA (not hard to correct) but I think I can work with it. Images are noticeably better than with the Zeiss Distagon 30/3.5 I bought but returned and the Arsat is a fraction of the price. I think that Zeiss has something wrong with it.
But the Arsat seems like a keeper. I think I can dial it in and get images I can use from it. These images are de-fished a little (+30-40) and seem very usable.

03-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

OK, first outing was just to the local creek this evening. Seems pretty good but I see what you mean about DOF. I should have stopped down more, I think these are only f/8 and I backed off from infinity just a tad. The edges are soft and there is CA (not hard to correct) but I think I can work with it. Images are noticeably better than with the Zeiss Distagon 30/3.5 I bought but returned and the Arsat is a fraction of the price. I think that Zeiss has something wrong with it.
But the Arsat seems like a keeper. I think I can dial it in and get images I can use from it. These images are de-fished a little (+30-40) and seem very usable.

Images look nice. Sugus has one as well. I remember him posting some photos...
03-13-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
Unregistered User

Looks good, in a lot of nature scenes you don't really see the fish-eye, it gives an interesting sense of space.
03-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It seems to underexpose about a stop but I can work around that too.
It also came with a filter. A small very dark one (ND I assume) but I can't figure out how it would mount. It has no ring, just a glass disk.
It is the same size as the clear rear filter but I don't see how they could be exchanged. I think maybe the 645 mount makes it harder to get to.

03-14-2017, 01:00 AM   #8

It also came with a filter. A small very dark one (ND I assume) but I can't figure out how it would mount. It has no ring, just a glass disk.
It is the same size as the clear rear filter but I don't see how they could be exchanged. I think maybe the 645 mount makes it harder to get to.
The filter is part of the optical formula for this lens and there were originally four delivered with a holder.....you can read a little bit of background info here

Bob
03-14-2017, 06:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool, looks like you've got a keeper!

FWIW, my new favourite thing to do with fisheye lenses is take "straight up" tree photos. There's very little perceived distortion as all the lines are converging to the centre (or something.) I bet this lens would do splendidly at this kind of shot.
03-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Cool, looks like you've got a keeper!

FWIW, my new favourite thing to do with fisheye lenses is take "straight up" tree photos. There's very little perceived distortion as all the lines are converging to the centre (or something.) I bet this lens would do splendidly at this kind of shot.
Yes, I bet it will. I've done some like that with my Rokinon 8mm on crop cameras and it's fun. Even with distortion!

---------- Post added 03-14-17 at 11:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
The filter is part of the optical formula for this lens and there were originally four delivered with a holder.....you can read a little bit of background info here

Bob
Thanks, I've seen that and my filter is different from those. What's weird is the included uninstalled filter with mine is not colored and also has no ring around it. It looks dark, like a 10 stop ND.

I think I see the clear one on the back of the lens but it is recessed into the mount so I can't grip the edges enough to turn it. And if I did get it off, I wonder if this ND would go inside the other filter ring or what? I'd love to see how the filters actually come out before trying to crank on mine too hard if I don't have it right.
03-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #11

Thanks, I've seen that and my filter is different from those. What's weird is the included uninstalled filter with mine is not colored and also has no ring around it. It looks dark, like a 10 stop ND.

I think I see the clear one on the back of the lens but it is recessed into the mount so I can't grip the edges enough to turn it. And if I did get it off, I wonder if this ND would go inside the other filter ring or what? I'd love to see how the filters actually come out before trying to crank on mine too hard if I don't have it right.
You should contact TRD at the Pentacon Six website and I'm sure that he'll be able to shed some light on this. I've run several things past him in recent years and he's quick to respond and there's little that he doesn't know about P6 (origin) lenses.

Bob
03-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I bet it will. I've done some like that with my Rokinon 8mm on crop cameras and it's fun. Even with distortion!

---------- Post added 03-14-17 at 11:14 AM ----------

My Russian Zenit (Zenitar?) 16mm full frame fisheye has a similar set of rear filters. I've never cross threaded them (I have a lot of mechanical hobbies and know better), but the threads on them are pretty rough and non cooperative. I'd love to chase them with a die if I had one for that thread pitch... It could be yours is of similar, uh, tolerance, and just needs some persuasion.