Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Way to derail the conversation guys
Derailing the conversation is more entertaining than yet another post complaining about DPR and their review staff.

It is healthy to have a degree of cynicism when dealing with sites like DPR, DXO - they have commercial interest that puts them under pressure to steer consumers choices towards a particular product.

03-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The rational conclusion, if indeed D810 is a better IQ/price value than crop MF is . . . what about K-1?

Oh. Wait.
03-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose their next big article is about how the older D810 is superior in IQ to the K-1...somehow.
03-21-2017, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The rational conclusion, if indeed D810 is a better IQ/price value than crop MF is . . . what about K-1?

Oh. Wait.
Don't go there, Monochrome!

That recommendation might get people coming to this forum and clicking through to its associated sellers, B&H/Adorama, instead.

03-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Don't go there, Monochrome!

That recommendation might get people coming to this forum and clicking through to its associated sellers, B&H/Adorama, instead.
I won't go there.
03-21-2017, 07:09 PM   #36
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I won't go there.
Too late.

Cat's outta the bag now.
03-21-2017, 07:11 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfkiii Quote
Thinking about buying a Fujifilm GFX 50S? Read this first: Digital Photography Review

Actually, the article is about the Fuji GFX 50s but they throw the X1D and 645z under the bus too. I'd like to rush in with counter arguments but I am afraid I'd come across as nothing more than a fanboy. They compare the 44x33 sensors unfavorably to sensors from the D810 & A7r II neither of which I've tested. I rented the A7r II for a weekend but I was actually checking out the Zeiss Batis 25mm mostly. Any thoughts?
From someone who uses both the 645Z and the A7RII, I'd say they are talking from the proverbial. The Sony takes bloody good images for sure, but the Z has an edge. A definite edge. I was at a Sony event in Dubai last night and had a short chat with Tenji Tanaka who is General Manager of Digital Imaging for Sony and he hinted at a new A7 series camera at some point very soon, but got no detail. I don't think that it will be on the same level as the Z. I don't know whether it is down to the processor or the sensor as I'm not one for charts and graphs, but the two cameras treat the same light differently and I prefer the rendering of the Z. The Sony is very very good, and is definitely a handy size with a fairly small lens on it, but medium format it aint.

03-21-2017, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I won't go there.
I went there, took a photo with my Fuji GFX 50, i'm still waiting for the viewfinder blackout to pass.
03-22-2017, 02:28 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The funny thing is that multiple times in the comments, Richard Butler shows up saying that they aren't saying that the Fuji is a bad camera, they just want people to think it through before they spend so much money on a camera that may not be as good as a full frame camera. Which sounds like pretty faint praise indeed.
03-22-2017, 02:32 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Rishi would attack him because he shot at f64, hence proving the Nikon D810 is better
yup, that just about sums it up

my thought also

Last edited by ffking; 03-22-2017 at 02:42 AM.
03-22-2017, 04:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Has anybody looked at their GFX vs A7RII studio noise scene and changed the A7RII to the 645z.

To my eyes, the 645z at ISO 12800 bests the GFX with a much finer noise pattern and less colour issues.
03-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
they just want people to think it through before they spend so much money on a camera
I may be missing something but wouldn't someone willing to spend a five figure sum on a camera system have thought it through and not have to rely on the dubious writings of Rishi?
03-22-2017, 06:40 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
I may be missing something but wouldn't someone willing to spend a five figure sum on a camera system have thought it through and not have to rely on the dubious writings of Rishi?
One would think so.

But maybe they haven't delved into all the intricacies of equivalence, like Rishi has, either.
03-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Richard Butler shows up saying that they aren't saying that the Fuji is a bad camera, they just want people to think it through before they spend so much money on a camera that may not be as good as a full frame camera.
Amateur Damage Control.

I think they need to make a finer point than that: it is a specialized camera - it may be within the means of a newbie to buy one, but they are more than likely to be disappointed by the experience of working with such a technically demanding camera.

At this point Fuji doesn't have a lot of lenses for the system, third party manufacturers are probably taking note of how well it is selling, and seeing if it really does bring MF to the mainstream like so many other cameras have failed at*.

Years ago I worked with the Alpa 12 FPS ( A rather misleading product name, as no MFDB can shoot at 12 FPS) which was an early mirrorless Medium format camera, It was slow to work with, it reduced all lenses to strictly manual focus, it wasn't quite hand hold-able but through the use of a grip it could be managed**. Alpa also provided adapter plates*** so it could accept practically any lens from any manufacturer. It would also work with (almost) any MFDB on the market so if you wanted a new back, with a bigger sensor you could go out and buy one and still keep the camera.

* I don't think MF will ever be as big as full frame, many experts in the industry state that camera sales are projected to remain in decline.
** the camera itself was basically just a shutter unit with a lens mount on the front and a MFDB back mount on the other side. With a highly advanced programmable vertical travel focal plane shutter between the mounts.
*** for really obscure lens mounts Alpa would make custom plates mated to the lens in question but like all things from Alpa typically carry a hefty price.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-22-2017 at 07:30 AM.
03-22-2017, 08:55 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
DPReview
Woah there! someone could get an aneurysm with words like that around here. It's refreshing to see the Walmart of photography websites taking information any competent photographer already knew and spinning it into a new source of renewable energy.
Closed Thread