Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
I agree with Rob's observation that the author is cherry picking facts that support his view, to the exclusion of facts that contradict him.

As already mentioned by tex, the crops from the two side-by-side comparisons are clearly chosen to favour the 24x36 cameras. If you move the Sony v Fuji crop to a high-detail area, rather than a flat grey square on a test chart, the Fuji wins by a landslide.

The Nikon v Pentax comparison gets complicated because the lenses seem to have wildly different field curvature, but again, the author chose a crop dominated by straight lines and devoid of complex detail, masking any resolution deficit; looking around, the Pentax 645Z generally comes out on top - which should surprise absolutely no one.

I think this article comment makes a good point:
QuoteQuote:
To get the same performance as the GFX I need :
1) the Sony a7R II for low light performance
2) the Canon 5DS R for the 50 megapixels
3) and the Nikon D810 for the Dynamic range...

03-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a pretty well written article. Very informative. Probably not error free, but well written none the less.
03-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
Write by Rishi! Ignore him.
I read it. I'm not ignoring Rishi, but I won't get drawn into a comment war again. Especially since I don't own a Z.

But the comments so far from those who do reveal that the article is true to form for DPR. Selective data presentation, Cognitive Dissonance and Confirmation Bias.
03-21-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Selective data presentation, Cognitive Dissonance and Confirmation Bias.
That's become all the rage lately, hasn't it. Not that it makes it any better.

03-21-2017, 03:50 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
But then again they hid the leaked 645z review that blew their other stuff away back in August of 2015, so I'm not sayng they have an agenda with their advertisers, but....
Wasn't that DXO?
03-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

We've had to put up with this guy before.

The allegiances are there for anyone to see on his LinkedIn profile: "Deputy Editor / Technical Editor at DPReview.com, an amazon.com Company"

Are Fujifilm currently 'on the outer' with Amazon?

If he's spent years now arguing your APS-C camera is no good, upgrade to the larger Canikon FF (plenty of Amazon links down the side), he's now happy to argue the reverse ... DON'T upgrade to MF, the format of hardcore professionals!

And he does it by evoking the worst equivalence/ total light rubbish you can imagine. His PhD is in viruses/proteins, but he's hired allegedly to do the testing methodologies for cameras, like the notorious shaky bike test invented for the K-1 and not used on any other product.

In the interests of finding something nice to say about someone, I like his actual photography.
03-21-2017, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
DON'T upgrade to MF, the format of hardcore professionals!
MF was never the format of hardcore professionals. 4X5, 5X7 and 8X10 - now those formats are hardcore.

03-21-2017, 04:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

We've had to put up with this guy before.

The allegiances are there for anyone to see on his LinkedIn profile: "Deputy Editor / Technical Editor at DPReview.com, an amazon.com Company?tag=pentaxforums-20&"

Are Fujifilm currently 'on the outer' with Amazon?

If he's spent years now arguing your APS-C camera is no good, upgrade to the larger Canikon FF (plenty of Amazon links down the side), he's now happy to argue the reverse ... DON'T upgrade to MF, the format of hardcore professionals!

And he does it by evoking the worst equivalence/ total light rubbish you can imagine. His PhD is in viruses/proteins, but he's hired allegedly to do the testing methodologies for cameras, like the notorious shaky bike test invented for the K-1 and not used on any other product.

In the interests of finding something nice to say about someone, I like his actual photography.
He used shaky bike test for the A99II review. Came to the same conclusion as he did the K-1.

Think shaky bike tester might be the problem.
03-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
MF was never the format of hardcore professionals. 4X5, 5X7 and 8X10 - now those formats are hardcore.
Well, that's in the film age, Digitalis ... I think DPR are even less concerned with all that, no matter how great.

As I've said in the past, someone like Ansel Adams would laugh to hear '35mm' being called Full Frame.

Rishi would attack him because he shot at f64, hence proving the Nikon D810 is better.
03-21-2017, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I get so aggravated by the focus on maximum equivalent apertures. It is such a red herring. Most types of photography don't depend on f1.4 lenses. Even with portrait photography, you benefit from stopping down to f2.8 on full frame because your image will look sharper, more will be in focus and your transitions from in focus to out of focus will be smoother.

I like full frame and I don't have money for medium format, but it still irritates me when someone breaks out the "Well, they don't have f1.4 lenses for medium format," argument. Try shooting landscape photography with an f1.4 lens at f1.4. It can be done, but most will look better stopped down to f8.
03-21-2017, 05:05 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

His PhD is in viruses/proteins, but he's hired allegedly to do the testing methodologies for cameras
Much to my shame, I read the article. Science is a word that appears several times, usually in proximity to false analogies and other logical fallacies, but sometimes proudly naked, as in "Because science." DPR is doing mankind a real service by keeping Rishi Sanyal a safe distance from real scientific research in the field of study he holds his doctorate in.
03-21-2017, 05:11 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that's in the film age, Digitalis ... I think DPR are even less concerned with all that, no matter how great.
DPR would be at a loss if they had to review what I work with everyday:

The Ebony R810E - Ebony heartwood, leather bellows with solid titanium fittings.

Speaking of Ebony cameras, I recently did a review* of the SW410 - Ebony's first non-folding 4X10 panoramic camera.

* unfortunately it's behind a paywall, people actually pay me to do things like use exquisitely hand crafted large format cameras and write about the experience - photographers are weird.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-21-2017 at 05:21 PM.
03-21-2017, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Wasn't that DXO?
oops, brainfart, still, I'd say that ads had a thing to do with it
03-21-2017, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Much to my shame, I read the article. Science is a word that appears several times, usually in proximity to false analogies and other logical fallacies, but sometimes proudly naked, as in "Because science." DPR is doing mankind a real service by keeping Rishi Sanyal a safe distance from real scientific research in the field of study he holds his doctorate in.
That's seeing the silver lining!!!
03-21-2017, 05:58 PM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Well, that's in the film age, Digitalis ... I think DPR are even less concerned with all that, no matter how great.

As I've said in the past, someone like Ansel Adams would laugh to hear '35mm' being called Full Frame.

Rishi would attack him because he shot at f64, hence proving the Nikon D810 is better.
DPR would be at a loss if they had to review what I work with everyday:

The Ebony R810E - Ebony heartwood, leather bellows with solid titanium fittings.

Speaking of Ebony cameras, I recently did a review* of the SW410 - Ebony's first non-folding 4X10 panoramic camera.

* unfortunately it's behind a paywall, people actually pay me to do things like use exquisitely hand crafted large format cameras and write about the experience - photographers are weird.
Way to derail the conversation guys!

Closed Thread