Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

First 'real' shoot with the 645D

First post here, recent convert from Canon. My first dSLR was the *istD about 12 years ago, and my first real film camera the K1000, so not new to Pentax. Just got my 645D in last week, along with my first lens, the 120 A Macro. Spent about four hours this morning trying to figure out how to cable tether it before giving up and realizing I will probably have to find and pay for a copy of Image Transmitter. For now, I'm 'tethering' with an eyeFi X2, and transferring small jpegs is reasonably fast.

I did some handheld shooting when I first got the camera, which was a fun workout. Today I had some paintings in from a client, so I got a chance to really see what the beast can do. And I definitely wasn't disappointed. The resolution and clarity is stunning, a definite improvement over the also quite good Canon 5D Mark III and 100mm Macro. I was going to share a couple samples, but it turns out watercolors aren't a great subject to show resolution and sharpness....

04-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #2

Congratulations on getting the D. I use the Z rather than the D, so I haven't tried this, but have you tried the Lightroom tethering plugin that's available for download from the Pentax site to see if it's compatible with the D? It doesn't offer a ton of functionality other than shutter release, but it works fine for what I need.

Worth a shot before spending money on ImageTransmitter if you haven't already tried it.

If you do go the ImageTransmitter route then you can set up a watched folder or hot folder in whatever capture software you prefer and grab the images straight out of ImageTransmitter.
04-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks! I would have liked the Z, but the $4k price difference made it a little out of reach. I've tried both the Pentax and DNA plugins with no luck. I have been using the eyefi with auto import, which works alright, if a little slowly.
04-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just output the video to a screen. The screen tells me every thing I need. I also shoot raw +jpeg which works great.

04-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #5

I'm pretty sure the lightroom plugin only works with the Z. I think u need image transmitter 2 software which unfortunately is $200.
04-07-2017, 07:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
Tried the LR plugin, it is just for the Z, sadly. I'm downloading small jpegs with the eyeFi, and then importing the RAW files after, which isn't ideal, but works. I think they only work with the original Image Transmitter software, too.
04-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

Try PK-Tether,
it works with the 645D if you don't shoot a to fast sequence.

-Linus-