Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Color rendering difference between K3/K1 and 645z ?

Everytime I look at photographs taken from the 645z, there is often of moment of Wowwww, even at web size.
Can't be the better noise, it's not visible at small sizes.
Could be to be something to do with a difference of how colors are recorded and rendered for both formats.
Is there anyone having taken the same shots with different formats of Pentax cameras and seen a different on how they render colors, typically, difference between apsc or FF, and 645z ?
Thanks for sharing.

04-11-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Everytime I look at photographs taken from the 645z, there is often of moment of Wowwww, even at web size.
Can't be the better noise, it's not visible at small sizes.
Could be to be something to do with a difference of how colors are recorded and rendered for both formats.
Is there anyone having taken the same shots with different formats of Pentax cameras and seen a different on how they render colors, typically, difference between apsc or FF, and 645z ?
Thanks for sharing.
I have the same reaction. I've yet to hear a convincing theory of what's happening or even description of what it is I'm seeing. My runner up theories are that they are just more carefully photographed and more subtly pp'd. When people go overboard with pp the MF advantage is lost to my eyes. I'm looking mainly at landscape and city photographs and there even wide shots have a short tele look. Flat, smooth and relaxed somehow.
04-11-2017, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From a purely technical perspective, more pixels means more accurate colors because of the way the bayer filter works, not considering larger pixel pitch, which means less noise. And that improvement will certainly carry over when the image is scaled, though it should be quite similar to the K-1 with pixel shift on, for instance.

But I do believe that in many cases, the reason 645Z photos often stand out is thanks to the photographers' skill both while shooting and during PP.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But I do believe that in many cases, the reason 645Z photos often stand out is thanks to the photographers' skill both while shooting and during PP.
Sure. Would you eventually have tried yourself to take the same photos from a K3 or K1 and 645z, post-processed the same way , to see if Pentax fitted a different CFA for their 645z and other cameras ?

04-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's been so long now that I can't remember, but I think the 645Z and K-3 use the same image processing engine. Here you can see that starting at ISO 1600+ the 645Z stays quite consistent while the K-3 rapidly starts losing color accuracy:

Pentax 645Z Review - Daytime High-ISO | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's been so long now that I can't remember, but I think the 645Z and K-3 use the same image processing engine. Here you can see that starting at ISO 1600+ the 645Z stays quite consistent while the K-3 rapidly starts losing color accuracy: Pentax 645Z Review - Daytime High-ISO | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Interesting , thanks very much for the link.
04-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #7

I've noticed the same.
K1 + 24-70mm
vs 645z + 75mm

Same studio light, same model, same settings. Same C1 processing (but different profile). And i'm not happy with k1 picture.

04-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya_sp Quote
I've noticed the same.
K1 + 24-70mm
vs 645z + 75mm

Same studio light, same model, same settings. Same C1 processing (but different profile). And i'm not happy with k1 picture.
How did you use C1 on 645Z files?
04-11-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya_sp Quote
I've noticed the same.
K1 + 24-70mm
vs 645z + 75mm

Am I missing something? Was there supposed to be some comparison photographs? BTW...different profile means a lot.

Steve
04-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ive often done comparisons between the k-3, k-1 and the 645z. I think the one part that sets the k3/k1 and the 645z apart is the way someone sets up the camera(lighting), processes the images, and also the frame of the picture (4:3, 2:3). There are subtle differences but it is possible to get the same image with the various formats.

04-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't think there is anything to that. Perhaps as others suggested, more intentional processing, etc to the MF images, but I dunno.

That said, I'd say the best OOC rendering I have ever seen were the luscious tones of the 645D, and that is actually 2 smaller (~22x33) CCD sensors fused together.
04-12-2017, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #12

Interesting. While I own the 645z I have never really been into the colors it produces. Especially skin tones, and highlights in general.
I much prefer the look of the larger pixel backs and CCD sensors. I am usually much more "wowed" by colors from older Leica S, Hassy, Phase or Leaf. I much prefer the color output from the 645D as well...same Kodak ccd.
04-14-2017, 03:40 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I have the same reaction. I've yet to hear a convincing theory of what's happening or even description of what it is I'm seeing. My runner up theories are that they are just more carefully photographed and more subtly pp'd. When people go overboard with pp the MF advantage is lost to my eyes. I'm looking mainly at landscape and city photographs and there even wide shots have a short tele look. Flat, smooth and relaxed somehow.

Post a RAW from one of these "lesser" cameras and let's see if post processing skill has anything to do with the look. Overall, your eyes aren't lying to you (although I am not sure of the remark about "short tele").