Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2017, 02:06 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Bye bye GFX - back to 645z

Hi to all 645z users

After having worked with the 645z for more than 2 years and did not see any perspectives for this system anymore, I was tempted to go for the Fuji GFX. I have used this new camera with almost all available adapters and lenses for the last 3-4 weeks - and I am finally back to my 645z - because of its optical viewfinder. The Fuji EVF shows you something, which is the complete contrary of what you could call WYSIWYG. I would call it: What You See Is What You Would Not Like To Get. This EVF of the GFX is a nightmare with huge problems in case of a large dynamic range or hazy light. - And for me the viewfinder is one of the reasons for me to go for medium format. The GFX has lots of features, which are way better, than what we know from the 645z. Also the IQ is better - and Fuji has prepared some nice camera profiles for LR. But the most important thing for me is the creative interaction between the photographers eye/brain and the camera view - and this happens via the viewfinder. I am sure, there will be new and better versions of the GFX - but I still hope, that Pentax will not quit this business, since they could be among the major players, if they would continue what they have started - finally... So keep on supporting this system.

Markus

04-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for sharing! And this is the exactly reason why traditional DSLR systems are here to stay, at least in the immediate future.

DSLRs are Pentax's core business, so I don't see them abandoning it until something truly revolutionary comes along.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My perspective on OVF vs EVF

So....I have used large and medium format film cameras, 35mm film cameras, point and shoots, then in digital phones, small sensor cameras, 4/3, APSC, FF and DMF. In digital FF I have used both OVF's (A850, K1) and EVF's (A7R). In DMF the Z. So I can't speak to the specific case of the Fuji. Stop reading now if you wish.

It would have to be an awfully good EVF to have me switch from the Z's beautiful OVF. But below that in FF.....the A7R's EVF compared favorably with the OVF's of all the others. Different, very much so. But while the Z's OVF is brilliant and huge, dropping back down to the K1 was a jolt. It seemed super cramped and dim. Hence the way that the A7R's EVF could compare favorably with its additional features. In dark conditions an EVF can be like a night vision device. Therefore for me right now it's a size issue.

So, we'll see how things advance with larger EVF's. Honestly, my ideal would be some way to switch between the two, not using the back of the camera which can be inconvenient. Fuji has done something along these lines, but I'd like to see a different implementation, like some sort of sliding screen that moved in front of the OVF view, in between the prism and the exit pupil, I guess (thinking out loud, here...).

But after all of that....I still think the Z is the best camera and value in DMF. The Fuji looks decent and it is remarkably small, but otherwise all the advantages are the Z's IMO.
04-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I switched from an mft camera with an evf to a ovf on my k-1. It took some time to get used to, but now I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'm sure advantages and disadvantages of both were discussed to death on the forum)

04-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by macz5024 Quote

the IQ is better

Markus

This is all I care about based on how I use the 645z.

I rarely use the VF, O or E. I mostly use Live View to compose, focus and expose. I do see EVF as "Live View in My Face" without the environmental glare washing out the back LCD. More than 99% of my images are static landscapes so maybe this makes it easier to use LV/EVF.
04-16-2017, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

You just never know until you try it. Thanks for trying, it's free information for the rest of us.
04-16-2017, 05:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfkiii Quote
This is all I care about based on how I use the 645z.

I rarely use the VF, O or E. I mostly use Live View to compose, focus and expose. I do see EVF as "Live View in My Face" without the environmental glare washing out the back LCD. More than 99% of my images are static landscapes so maybe this makes it easier to use LV/EVF.
I use Live View 0.0001% of the time. I still think that EVF has some time to run until it gets anywhere near OVF. It's the single biggest advantage that my Z has over my A7RII. I can shoot with it for days before the batteries go. I have to carry a back up battery pack of rtes Sony. Would be worse with the Fuji.

04-16-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
too bad, it came so highly recommended.
04-17-2017, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I can certainly see this as a polarizing issue, as the use cases for an OVF and Live View or EVF are beneficial for different types of photography, and invariably some people might try and convince themselves that stepping out of their comfort zone might be worth it for some extra features.
04-17-2017, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
I can certainly see this as a polarizing issue, as the use cases for an OVF and Live View or EVF are beneficial for different types of photography, and invariably some people might try and convince themselves that stepping out of their comfort zone might be worth it for some extra features.
Anyone we know?
04-17-2017, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing your experience. I also went full circle on the view finder. My biggest gripe with the EVF is when shooting in low light, where your eyes adjust to the low light levels. Then looking into the EVF with its 'bright' light into your eye is pure torture. When you take away the camera your camera eye can't see a thing either, at least until it has adjusted back to the low light.

So now I'm converted back to optical.
04-17-2017, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kolor-Pikker Quote
In my case it was not about whether to use an EVF or use an optical viewfinder. I can work with a EVF by Sony (A7r, RX10) if necessary. (I woud step out that far out of my comfot zone). But the EVF of the Fuji has some major issues such as interference patterns (moiré), not being able to show whether something is sharp at the pixel level (even when checking the exposure!) and the major flaw: when shooting in hazy light, the sky is washed out white and the shadows are just closed - and almost nothing in between. I also agree with the problem in low light - but I could live with this even if the EVF does not translate the scene correctly...
With the 645z I am used to do quick adjustments in the viewfinder and make final adjustments - including focussing (never use AF) - in liveview.
04-18-2017, 01:52 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TDvN57 Quote
Thanks for sharing your experience. I also went full circle on the view finder. My biggest gripe with the EVF is when shooting in low light, where your eyes adjust to the low light levels. Then looking into the EVF with its 'bright' light into your eye is pure torture. When you take away the camera your camera eye can't see a thing either, at least until it has adjusted back to the low light.

So now I'm converted back to optical.
I recently fitted a spilt focus screen in my 645z, and this makes a world's difference in cases where I prefer manual focus. I find it much more precise that live view focus zoom, even with peaking switched on, the split screen is still my preferred goto option. I don't think EVF's can do the split screen, or even emulate it.
04-18-2017, 02:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having just recently acquired a 645Z, I'm staggered at how much easier manual focus is compared to the K-1.
And I'm talking about through the viewfinder here, with the standard ground glass focussing screen. OVF all the way for me!
04-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Having just recently acquired a 645Z, I'm staggered at how much easier manual focus is compared to the K-1.
And I'm talking about through the viewfinder here, with the standard ground glass focussing screen. OVF all the way for me!
But as I said above, here the case is the physical size of the OVF making all the difference---and it's not like the K1 has a bad OVF! It's just that the Z's is pretty fantastic. One thing I'd like to see as an improvement in the next generation *Z* is some kind of enhancement to the OVF built-in, like some better coatings to increase brightness, and personally I'd love a built in 2x magnifier...