Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2017, 05:12 AM   #1

645N Mirror stuck and not shutting off

Hi all,

First time post with a query about my 645n which I've picked up after a couple of months.

I shot a couple of frames with no film in the holder and for some reason the mirror has become stuck in the open position. This was accompanied by an odd 30" shutter speed in the viewfinder. Also, when I turn off the camera, the LCD display continues to stay on. I've changed the batteries to a fresh batch, thinking this might be the cause but now I can't seem to get the mirror back down. I was in 'A' when this happened.

Any experiences of this or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

04-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't shoot the camera without a film in it. Load a film, and it should go back to normal (I did the same thing when I first got my original 645 - scared the hell out of me!)

\edit I've since acquired a plate you can insert instead of a film, and be able to trigger the shutter without a film loaded. I've also had another 645 body that needed help getting the shutter down because it hadn't been used in a decade before I bought it. With a film loaded, it should come down (when you wind those first frames on - if no film is wound on, the shutter will not return). If it doesn't, gently pulling it back down is worth trying (but only with a film loaded!!!!). That body stuck twice, but has been fine ever since then!

Last edited by robthebloke; 04-26-2017 at 06:46 AM.
04-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks robthebloke!

That was indeed the issue - even just two shots without film caused the issue. I loaded film and it lowered the mirror back. However, I was getting a ERR on the LCD so pushed in the rewind button on the bottom - sped through the film to the end but cleared the error. I'll try and rewind the film in a dark bag but a small price to pay for getting the body working again.

Thanks!