Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Apologies for trying to understand further - Aki-Asahi video and product (mentioned above) show what I would call "full" light seals. I'd call what I have 1/4 of the perimeter. Is the decision to go full or something less based upon something I can't tell at this point? And is your diagnosis more to do with the last photo posted or each of them with the lower red strips?

Thanks,
Troy

09-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote
Apologies for trying to understand further - Aki-Asahi video and product (mentioned above) show what I would call "full" light seals. I'd call what I have 1/4 of the perimeter. Is the decision to go full or something less based upon something I can't tell at this point? And is your diagnosis more to do with the last photo posted or each of them with the lower red strips?

Thanks,
Troy

The 67 has dovetail sealing along the edges beyond where the seals finish.

It is well within anybody's remit to trim the Aki-Asahi seals to suit, and if you find seals as shown in your camera like that, it follows that any replacements should be identical to what was originally fitted.

Light piping through some sort of damage or extreme wear to the back cover is rarely seen. But light piping through incorrect film loading and unloading is very common!
09-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The last image, I’m not sure, but the arrow looks like it was something printed on the backing paper. Some film has had issues with dyes from the printing on the backing paper transferring to the film it is in contact with. The crescents you see at the bottom of the other two is classic light leaks from loosely rolled film, or even tightly rolled film handled in bright conditions. You’ll potentially see those top and bottom on 6x7 and on the sides on 6x4.5.
09-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, must've been the glare off my forehead. I'll wait until the next new moon, and step into a closet and use a changing bag inside of another changing bag...and cover my forehead with a ski mask.

In all seriousness, appreciate the feedback. I will make every attempt to ensure better loading/unloading next time. FWIW, I also occasionally use a Kodak Vollenda 620, Kodak Jr 620 and always wrap my rolls in foil afterwards. Not a stranger to roll film (but neither a pro).

Thanks,
Troy

09-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HomeMadeSin Quote
[...] and always wrap my rolls in foil afterwards.
This is excellent insurance for the exposed roll. In my pack are a few sheets of pre-cut pieces of foil for just this purpose.
The other method, though bulky, is to use discarded M&M containers, in whatever colour that tickles your fancy: green for unexposed, red for exposed, yellow for part-exposed, pink for dudded, white for 'no idea'...
09-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed but a bit annoying. I tried to find something in the big plastic distributor catalogs but failed to find a suitable item. The next time I find some of those M&M containers, I may buy a bunch to try them out. Just have to find someone who likes M&Ms....
09-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I use one of these:

Plastic Hard case for 5 rolls 120 film Black / White/gray Fujifilm Kodak Lucky 711202925113 | eBay

Assuming the image is correct, you can also buy a few rolls of Foma Retropan 320:

Foma RETROPAN 320 soft Black and White Negative Film 57456 B&H

I know those cans can be bought elsewhere, but I can’t remember where I’ve seen them.

09-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
I know those cans can be bought elsewhere, but I can’t remember where I’ve seen them.
Japan Camera Hunter has them in four different colours -- spoilt for choice!
==> https://www.japancamerhunter.com/shop/japancamerahunter-120-film-cases/
09-21-2018, 02:08 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Light seals originally on the Pentax 6x7

The black on will have the best chance of being opaque, assuming they use carbon black to make it black, which is usually the case.

I’ve never had a problem, but I’m meticulous about keeping rolls tight when handling.

Rick “just bought a couple” Denney
09-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
The black on will have the best chance of being opaque, assuming they use carbon black to make it black, which is usually the case.

I’ve never had a problem, but I’m meticulous about keeping rolls tight when handling.

Rick “just bought a couple” Denney
I have a black one and a grey one, and both are light tight (until you open them to pull a roll out.)