Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Another Pentax 67 hiccup?

A question for y'all: is it possible for a Pentax 67 to fire in "Bulb" mode (i.e. shutter opening and then closing when the shutter button is pressed/released) while the shutter speed dial is set to a mark other than "B"?

That really seems to explain what I seemed to be hearing my last few times out (it's an intermittent problem, naturally). The roll of film I just had developed seems to fit that hypothesis--those frames where I heard a "double click" are simply underexposed, and not totally black, as I assume would be the case if it were a matter of the winding lever not cocking the shutter along with the mirror mechanism.

No doubt I'll have to make the pilgrimage to Eric soon, but I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me provide him a bit of a starting point.

06-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Never heard if that before. But to me, it seems like a shutter issue (possible misfiring?)
06-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
shutter opening and then closing when the shutter button is pressed/released
If it is truly giving a BULB like behavior, then you should hear the mirror go up, the first curtain open and the second will not close until you release and then the mirror will come down.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
simply underexposed, and not totally black
If under exposed, it sound like a hang between the mirror going up and the firing of the first curtain. For it to underexpose, the second curtain would drop too soon after the first and give a shorter than required exposure.

It could be the speed dial is not passing current correctly and short changing the charge to the timing circuit. That could be dirty/oxidized contacts in the speed dial or if exposed to too much moisture, the partial corrosion of the contacts?

...my best guess.
06-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
then you should hear the mirror go up, the first curtain open and the second will not close until you release and then the mirror will come down.

Thanks for the input, guys--I've been in MLU mode while shooting, but I'm not quite sure what mechanism is making the sound when I take pressure off the shutter release. At any rate, the whole 67 scene is reminds me of the Space Cowboys movie of a few years back--y'all will have to fight it out amongst yourselves just which of y'all is Clint, Tommy Lee, or Donald Sutherland...

06-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

These cameras will occasionally underexpose when the battery is low.
06-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
when the battery is low

I slipped a new battery in a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd solved the problem, but I'm thinking it was the "intermittent" thing again--or, perhaps more precisely, the problem seems to show up more at slow shutter speeds.

In other words, when I was out in the field working off a tripod, with a shutter set near "one second," I got these hiccups--when I got back home, I put in a fresh battery, burned through a couple of frames handheld and wide open (above 1/60th) and was happy when the shutter fired normally.

I suppose I might be torqued that I had a ten-mile hike for nothing, but at least I got a couple of nice shots of my dog.
06-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Idiosyncracies with the P67 abound. This is about another.

Bulb means deliberately holding open the shutter for a specified amount of time (anything).
X is the syncronisation speed for flash (1/30), not negotiable.

However—
If the shutter speed dial is set to "black space" between 'X' and 1/1000, the shutter will remain open (Bulb-like behaviour, but it is the shutter that is deliberately held open and the mirror up rather than e.g. the plunger on your cable release) until one of the shutter speeds marked on the dial is set — and that 'black space' thing will drain the battery.

(Reference: Page 23 of the Pentax 67 owner's manual)

Last edited by Silent Street; 06-14-2017 at 10:10 PM.
06-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Idiosyncracies with the P67 abound

Thanks, I had read about where to set the dial when the camera wasn't being used, but I'll definitely pay attention not to be in that "dead zone."

At any rate, I have to admit I considered making my P67 the guest of honor at an old fashioned Southern anvil shoot, but fortunately there were enough well-exposed frames from my first roll of Velvia that I unwrapped the det cord and gently placed the old boy back into the gear bin...

06-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Very funny innuendo! Not many people would know what you're talking about.... kind of like Aussie slang.
06-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
Very funny innuendo! Not many people would know what you're talking about.... kind of like Aussie slang.
Aye. To be expected from a little Aussie mollydooker...
06-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the Canadian says "eh".................?

Phil.