Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #1

PENTAX 67 help

Hey!

I am a proud Pentax 67 user and I am interested in utilizing an off camera flash in the future. I understand how to use strobes with pocket wizards and pc cables due to the cold shoe on the pentax 67, but how can I use a pentax speedlight or flash? Is there a specific type I need to get in order for it to sync with my camera even though it will be on a cold shoe? Do I need to use a pc cable with the flash?

Also if anyone has suggestions on which flash to purchase please let me know!

Thank you in advance!

06-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For a Pentax 67 camera you will need a bracket to mount the flash on. Pentax do make a cold shoe bracket especially for the Pentax 67. (Also a hot shoe bracket for the Pentax 67 II camera)

You will need a flash with a PC sync socket so you can connect the sync output on the camera to the flash.

You will be using the flash in manual or flash auto modes. The camera does not have any flash automation circuitry inside it.

Regards

Chris
06-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The cold shoe option available on the used market via the left accessory handle and sync cord to the P67 body is the only option, together with a flash unit that allows X sync to a camera body. I have seen very old Metz flashes connected this way. The addition of one of the leaf shutter lenses (90mm or 165mm) will get around the pathetically low 1/30sec flash sync speed and allow you to sync up to 1/500sec (in dedicated leaf shutter mode). Outside of leaf shutter mode, either of these two lenses can be used as ordinary short-tele lenses.
06-21-2017, 03:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The AF 400 T hammerhead flash can be used with the 6x7, there is a bracket that replaces the left hand grip with the flash handle and the flash uses a pc sync cord to the camera or 90 or 165mm leaf shutter lenses
search pentax 6x7 af400t flash bracket on eBay for a picture

Last edited by garywakeling; 06-21-2017 at 03:52 AM. Reason: extra info
06-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just looked at the pentaxforums user reviews of legacy flashes on the AF400t and there are photos and reviews on its use with the 67, highly recommended
06-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://app.box.com/s/44lzyxxte8c3v1ipj2kj

Not sure what op question is, but a direct connection from camera to the on-camera flash is always necessary.
For example I have used an AF160 on camera with an AF 360 in optical slave mode on a Yashica Table-Pod.

Also an AF360 directly on camera with a pc ( shutter) to hot shoe cable as shown on the above photo of the 90LS on a home-built camera.

Typical settings from my notes with the AF 360 as a remote, using the AF160 to trigger it:
Iso 100 film, Outdoor 3.5 metre +, set the 90LS to f/8 and 125th, set the AF360 slave 2, Manual 1/1 with screen retracted, 0 degrees
Indoor, shutter 500th and screen down,rotate the flash up to 45 degrees, etc
JJ needs to run a roll with various settings and positions. C41 is quite forgiving of incorrect exposure +/- 1 EV or so.
Blue haze and noise in the black areas indicate under-exposure.

Hope this gives a starting point.
06-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Typical settings from my notes with the AF 360 as a remote, using the AF160 to trigger it: Iso 100 film, Outdoor 3.5 metre +, set the 90LS to f/8 and 125th, set the AF360 slave 2, Manual 1/1 with screen retracted, 0 degrees Indoor, shutter 500th and screen down,rotate the flash up to 45 degrees, etc
There is a bit of conjecture here l in terms of just what the prevailing situation is at the time.
I don't think the OP has access to a leaf shutter lens at the moment, and if/when he does, the necessity of carefully working through the correct modus operandi for either/both.
An additional recommendation to the OP would be to invest in a multifunction flashmeter, with the capacity to balance ambient and flash light — often an especially paramount consideration in portraiture. I would not confidently leaf flash exposure to a P67 and its attendant flash. We can do so much better than such rudimentary steampunkery.

Additionally to the OP, both of the Pentax 67 leaf shutter lenses when configured in LS-flash-sync mode require a camera-side sync of 1/8sec.

06-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
I already have the cold shoe cracket handle! So that is one thing covered. So I basically now just need a flash unit and pc cable?
06-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjocrocks Quote
I already have the cold shoe cracket handle! So that is one thing covered. So I basically now just need a flash unit and pc cable?
You could use strobes — what you have?
The old Metz hammerhead flashes may work (I used these on a Nikon F3HP decades ago).
06-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjocrocks Quote
As mentioned above I would recommend the AF400T with the 6x7 handle. You will also need a special 4p sync cable to connect the flash to the 6x7/67 body. I have used this combo and it works best on these older 67x bodies. If you are really into flash photography with a 6x7 then the newer 67ii body supports TTL flash and can use newer Pentax flashes.

Phil.
06-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #11

Original Poster
I have two Phottix Mitros speedlights that have sync pockets in them. I also have a PC cable and the speedlight seems to sit on the cold shoe and connect to the pc socket on the pentax 67 body very well. Is there any way to use this speedlight with the pentax 67?
06-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing that I've noticed with the cold shoe handle is that some flashes will ground out on the metal with the central contact. A piece of cello tape will help keep this from happening.
07-09-2017, 11:08 AM   #13

If you want to use wireless flash, connect a flash trigger to your camera via cold shoe and pc cable. Flash trigger will fire receiver attached to the flash within specified range.