Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Weird fungus!

Weird fungus growing ONLY on the trapdoor of the lenshood of my 67 300mm IFED M*, used on the 645Z.....results in flare like patches on some images depending the suns direction and incident angle....weird or what?

Attached Images

06-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd be tempted to give the entire hood a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush and lots of hot, soapy water, with a good rinse afterwards! You don't want that migrating to the inside of your lens.

EDIT: Having looked at the photo again I'm sot so sure that it is flora based (as in fungus or mold of some sort). It could be that the plastic of the trapdoor is starting to breakdown due to age and/or UV light exposure. I'd still be tempted to give it a good scrubbing though.

Last edited by Tako Kichi; 06-21-2017 at 01:14 PM.
06-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The photo has insufficient clarity to make any judgement about a fungal infestation, and that is not really what it looks like (my first reaction if it was fungus would be to quickly remove the whole thing, put it in a plastic bag and incinerate it). I have the 75mm f2.8AL with the same trapdoor in the petal hood and for the life of me, after years of outdoor use in all conditions, I do not know why it is shown as scruffy white/grey in your photo. But if that is fungus (and it is a big if!), there is a very strong likelihood it has alsomigrated to a huge number of other things around it — that's the nature of the beast.
06-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is a fungus, and I highly doubt it, then don't fret. Millions of fungus spores are everywhere, including inside all your camera lenses (especially the zoom lenses) The thing is fungus needs moisture and food to grow. If those are absent, your lenses will be fine.
Each one of us (no matter how well we wash) have a few hundred or more tiny skin mites living on us. But they're too small to see with the naked yes so we tend to not worry about it. And so it is with fungus spores.

06-22-2017, 12:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does the white scrub off? If not, Iʻm also inclined to think it is not fungus/mold but rather the polymer in the plastic is reacting to either heat, stress, or some chemical exposure.

A few years back, the house I live in was "tented" for termites. The gas used is only suppose to be harmful to living creatures and of course to any exposed food. I did the best I could to put everything either into ziplock bags, but I noticed a lot of plastic items not removed from the house or sealed from the gas had a bad reaction. It was most obvious in any black plastics.
06-23-2017, 11:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all......did scrub it and of course now clean as a whistle.....under the white powdery 'fungus' the plastic was a sticky black residue , rather like it would be if coated with a solvent/lubricant which also streaked my fingers black when cleaning....but no staining when dried...?...... we live to shoot another day!
06-24-2017, 02:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Sounds like the polymers are starting to break down. Time for a new lens hood I'd say.

06-24-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Theov39 Quote
Time for a new lens hood I'd say.
+1 that's my thoughts too, especially if it affects negatively on image quality on occasion.