Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2017, 07:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adapt 645 lenses?

Are there adapters to adapt 645 lenses to K-mount? Are any of them AF-enabled with the 645 AF lenses?

06-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes and no...

Pentax Adapter K for 645 Lens (645 to K mount) Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I believe there are several third-party manufacturers, as well...
06-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You can adapt the FA and A lenses with the genuine adapter to the K1, but They are hard to find.

You get no AF, nor will you ever get AF because it's screw driven on the older lenses.

I have a genuine adapter for sale if you are looking. PM me.
06-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have been meaning to pick up a third-party one for some time. The originals are hard to find but I understand they're much better, so take advantage of any opportunities to pick one up if you're really interested.

There will be no AF on any adapter.

07-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #5

I have tried two of the Ebay 645 adapters on my K-1. I have three of the SMC 645 A lenses. The 45-85mm, 80-160mm and 55mm lenses. The cheep $29.00 worked however, it was fairly loose fitting on the mount. And, I had quit a bit of trouble with center bloom that randomly appears in the final image. I have seen this blooming reported elsewhere on the forums. No one seems to know what is actually causing it. The consensus seem to be that the rear element on the older lenses is not coated with the SMC process and that the light is a reflection of it. It only seems to appear when the scene is very bright. I have added the longest lens hoods I can without obstructing the corners. This helps but, you still must be careful. If you preview with LV before taking the picture you can verify wether or not you are going to end up with a white smear in the middle of your image. The 80-160mm has the most trouble with this blooming. I was enjoying using these lenses so much that I decided that I wanted a better quality of adapter so I purchased the Kipon Adapter for $125. This unit works much better than the $29 one. It is a better fit and the blooming problem, while still there, is not as bad. I also have a Sigma hyper zoom and Pentax SMC A 28mm 1:2.8 lenses in K mount. Neither of these lenses have the blooming problem. The lens I almost always seem to end up with on the camera is the 45-85mm 645 A. I love that lens. I do not care for auto-focus and I like to be able manually set the aperture so the lose of these features is a non-issue for me. While many indicate that the big 645 lenses are not as sharp as the native new digital K mount lenses I find I like the results with 645 lenses better so far. So, stay away from the cheap $29 units. If you can afford it, get the "real" Pentax brand adapter.

Last edited by Dooglas; 07-05-2017 at 05:30 PM.
07-06-2017, 03:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The adapters are just hollow tubes so the only way I can imagine that different adapters would affect the blooming in the image is it it were caused by a reflection off one of the internal surfaces of the adapter.
07-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eliminating flare or bloom from images created with 645A lenses on the Pentax K-1

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The adapters are just hollow tubes so the only way I can imagine that different adapters would affect the blooming in the image is it it were caused by a reflection off one of the internal surfaces of the adapter.
Yes, internal reflections from the adapter are exactly what I found with my cheap imported Chinese adapter when used on the K-1. The inside of the adapter was black, but a very shiny black. Every lens, to a greater or lesser extent, produced a central-image flare or "bloom," as it is termed in this thread. I could pretty much eliminate the flare or bloom with aggressive hooding. However, I could not find appropriate sized hoods, so used a silly looking black construction paper approach, which eliminated the flaring but was unsatisfactory because the "hoods" would not stay fixed on the lens and because they interfered with use of the focus ring and/or zoom ring. (Perhaps it is unnecessary to say that they also did not look very professional and would sometimes even fall off during a shoot.)

What finally did the trick, however, was spray painting the inside of the adapter with black matte non-reflecting paint. I used black RUST-OLEUM Camouflage paint with non-reflecting finish. I got this paint in a 12-ounce spray can from Home Depot at a price of $3.76 plus Ohio sales tax. Now with the matte painted adapter and cheap screw-in hoods (or built-in hoods), the bloom or flare has totally disappeared, no longer a factor.

All this reported experience was with the following A lenses: 45, 55, 75, 120, 150, 200, 45-85, and 80-160.

As for the future, I have the following FA lenses coming later this week: 45, 75, 120, 80-160, and 300/4. I plan to use them on the 645D, also scheduled to arrive this week. As an experimental exercise, I may also try the FA lenses on the K-1 with adapter but without their hoods to see whether the bloom occurs. In addition, I will also need to make a determination whether to keep the four A lenses for which I will have FA replacements for adapted use on K-1 or sell them and just use their corresponding FA lenses as adapted lenses on the K-1. Possibly I will no longer use 645 adapted lenses on the K-1 except perhaps the 120mm macro, which is the best flower macro setup I have found so far. Comments will be appreciated on whether to keep these four A lenses or switch entirely to the FA versions.