Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #1

AF failure - SMC Pentax-FA 645 150mm F2.8

Hello,

I was shooting today and suddenly my lens stopped auto-focusing.

The motor will wind, though no change. Interestingly, the motor drive will wind in short intervals when trying to focus on something close and wind continuously when trying to focus on something in the distance.

Manual focus works fine. I've switched to my 35, 55, and 120 and all function as expected.

I've taken the battery out, i've engaged and disengaged the MF clutch several times. Still no response. Just the motor winding.

I have tried looking for information on the web and on the forum. The closest article I've found is and article from here back in 2012 regarding SDM lens AF failures.

Has anyone experienced something like this?

I thought it may have been due to heat, though it's been resting for hours in a cool environment with no change.

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated. I'm mentally preparing to have it serviced, though hope maybe its something mechanical that can easily be dis- or re-engaged to return functionality.

Regards

06-25-2017, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I once had a 645 FA lens that stopped focussing, it had had a knock, and something inside had been misaligned. Was easily repaired by someone (whose name I don't recall, this was 4-5 years back).
06-26-2017, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #3
Ole
Administrator

Your lens has no built-in motor, so SDM failure is out of the question. As Smolk indicates, it is most likely a mechanical failure.
06-26-2017, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It shouldn't be too complex of a repair, and I'd expect most repair shops to be able to handle it. Eric should be able to do it (see the sticky in the repairs forum).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you, all.

Adam, it seems Eric no longer repairs lenses (at least this type), due to inaccessibility of parts from Pentax.

I'm going to check some of the others listed on the sticky. Really appreciate the guidance everyone.
06-26-2017, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by simianminded Quote
Thank you, all.

Adam, it seems Eric no longer repairs lenses (at least this type), due to inaccessibility of parts from Pentax.

I'm going to check some of the others listed on the sticky. Really appreciate the guidance everyone.
Good to know. Minimally, Precision should be able to fix it then, since the lens is considered current and still available new.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Mine did not need a new part.