Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Pentax 645 FA 80-160 f4.5 While Zooming Feeling Binding At 135mm?

Hello all, I just received a used 80-160 that has been used all lot and noticed when I zoom it from 80 to 160 or 160 to 80 that at 135 it binds some, then playing with it some more if I set the focus to infinity and closer no more binding, but when the focus is set at infinity for further like to the left of the infinity mark and left the zoom right binds at 135mm.

The point from infinity and rotate right past the infinity mark then it binds but if set on the infinity mark and closer focus then the zooming ring does not bind.

I would like to hear from owners that this is normal but I doubt that or yeah not normal as I just got this used from a major used eq seller.

Also under the front filter threads is a cool feature where you can adjust the filter ring say for a pola filter and you can rotate the filter with the hood attached and on the used lens this is a bit tight rotating with my thumb and should it be that way or loose for easy adjustments?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!
zman

08-17-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zman500 Quote
Hello all, I just received a used 80-160 that has been used all lot and noticed when I zoom it from 80 to 160 or 160 to 80 that at 135 it binds some, then playing with it some more if I set the focus to infinity and closer no more binding, but when the focus is set at infinity for further like to the left of the infinity mark and left the zoom right binds at 135mm.

The point from infinity and rotate right past the infinity mark then it binds but if set on the infinity mark and closer focus then the zooming ring does not bind.

I would like to hear from owners that this is normal but I doubt that or yeah not normal as I just got this used from a major used eq seller.

Also under the front filter threads is a cool feature where you can adjust the filter ring say for a pola filter and you can rotate the filter with the hood attached and on the used lens this is a bit tight rotating with my thumb and should it be that way or loose for easy adjustments?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!
zman
Moving the lens through it's entire zoom range, the front not only moves forward but it also moves a small bit backwards. If you will note, just a bit to the left of 135 is where the zooming of the lens changes direction. My best WAG is that whatever passes for a bearing surface to reduce friction on the zooming mechanism has suffered some wear/damage/misalignment.

My copy has virtually no change in resistance when it hit's this changeover point. I've not tested it in regard to focusing distance.