Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I guess I don't really know how the chimney finder works since I've never seen one. Do use it with your eyes directly on the finder, or are your eyes far away?

Is changing the focusing screen worth the time and effort?

How much nicer is it to use the most recent 105? Optically its the same but its lighter due to the rubber focusing ring instead of metal. Its way more expensive though. Is that because its newer and less likely to break over time?

Thanks!

07-13-2017, 10:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Femto1969 Quote
directly on the finder

This for me...I'm nearsighted, but I can find just enough diopter adjustment to focus with my naked eye. At any rate, I agree that the 105/2.4 seems overpriced--all those diaphanously clad models on Flickr are no doubt influencing the market. (FWIW, I picked up the Super Tak version of the lens for not a lot of money recently--it is a chunk of metal and glass, but if I ever have to throw something at a black bear it might come in handy.)
07-13-2017, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I don't really know how the chimney finder works since I've never seen one. Do use it with your eyes directly on the finder, or are your eyes far away?
Both the folding and rigid finders require you to put your eye against the finder. Both have magnification, 100% viewing area & reversed image. The rigid also has a diopter adjustment and the folding the ability to flip up the finder to expose the focusing screen. The ridigid is much better outdoors blocking sun light.

Is changing the focusing screen worth the time and effort?
Not on a 6x7 or 67, if you want to easily swap focusing screens then best get a 67ii.

How much nicer is it to use the most recent 105? Optically its the same but its lighter due to the rubber focusing ring instead of metal. Its way more expensive though. Is that because its newer and less likely to break over time?
I'd always get the newer version of a 6x7 lens even if it has the same optics. The SMC coatings are better on the latest 67 105/2.4 than on the earlier Takumar versions. Also newer generally means it has suffered less abuse over the years.

Phil.
07-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #19

Original Poster
Does anyone know if the standard p67 eyecup Original PENTAX 67 eye cup for 67 / 67II [Japan import] [Free shipping] [F/S] | eBay work for the chimney finder? I found a nicely priced chimney but it lacks the eyecup.

That really stinks about the folding viewfinder. Whats the point of a "waist-level" finder that has to be used right next to your eyes? I'd like the Hasselblad experience with this camera... at least some of the time. I'd also like to lighten my load from my massive TTL finder.

Do both of these finders flip the view from right to left?

Thanks again!

07-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

That really stinks about the folding viewfinder

I'm thinking something's has gotten lost in translation about the waist-level finder--there's a diopter that can be folded back over the finder to aid with focusing, but I'm pretty sure that the whole mechanism with fold out of the way to let you see the actual focusing screen.

As for the eye-cup, I doubt the one for the TTL prism will work, since that one involves completely removing the diopter then threading it back again through the aperture of the rubber shield. Depending on how good a price on the chimney finder you're getting, though, you might find a field-expedient solution of some sort if doesn't require a lot of faffing about.
07-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #21

Original Poster
The total comes to $63 for the chimney finder sans eye cup. I'm concerned without the eye cup it wont work as it should. Thoughts?

---------- Post added 07-13-17 at 12:35 PM ----------

Also, this seems to be the best deal available right now. Most/all of the cheaper options have some issue, such as fungus, haze, yellowing, or balsam separation. I want to steer clear of those (do any of you ever take a gamble with equipment with these issues?

Pentax SMC Takumar 6x7 105mm f/2.4 Lens for 6x7 67 w/ Hood EXC++ From Japan

Bonus is that it comes with a hood, which I think I will definitely want to use since I mostly shoot outdoors. Total cost would be $334. Seems to me to be a bit steep, but maybe not since major issues seem to be common with this lens.

What do you all think about the price?
07-13-2017, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone know if the standard p67 eyecup Original PENTAX 67 eye cup for 67 / 67II [Japan import] [Free shipping] [F/S] | eBay work for the chimney finder? I found a nicely priced chimney but it lacks the eyecup.

That really stinks about the folding viewfinder. Whats the point of a "waist-level" finder that has to be used right next to your eyes? I'd like the Hasselblad experience with this camera... at least some of the time. I'd also like to lighten my load from my massive TTL finder.

Do both of these finders flip the view from right to left?

Thanks again!
Here is a copy of the manual for both finders:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_67II_waist-level_hoods.pdf

Phil.
07-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Here is a copy of the manual for both finders:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_67II_waist-level_hoods.pdf

Phil.
Perfect! That's very helpful!

07-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Ha, buying into these old systems can be a little nerve-wracking, no? FWIW, my impression is that the Japanese vendors can run a little high, as does B&H; KEH seems to be in the middle, though "name" models like the 105/2.4 seem to command a premium (there was one up last week in the $430 range for an "excellent" copy.) Robert's Camera seems to be on the low side, but as always differences in lens ratings make it hard to compare; and Adorama usually comes in low as well. They actually have a copy of the lens you mention:
Pentax Takumar 105mm F/2.4 SMC Lens for Pentax 6x7
that's probably not in as good of shape as the one you linked to, but with their return policy and the fact they're a US vendor, it might be worth taking a chance if you feel confident you can evaluate the lens.
07-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Ha, buying into these old systems can be a little nerve-wracking, no? FWIW, my impression is that the Japanese vendors can run a little high, as does B&H; KEH seems to be in the middle, though "name" models like the 105/2.4 seem to command a premium (there was one up last week in the $430 range for an "excellent" copy.) Robert's Camera seems to be on the low side, but as always differences in lens ratings make it hard to compare; and Adorama usually comes in low as well. They actually have a copy of the lens you mention:
Pentax Takumar 105mm F/2.4 SMC Lens for Pentax 6x7
that's probably not in as good of shape as the one you linked to, but with their return policy and the fact they're a US vendor, it might be worth taking a chance if you feel confident you can evaluate the lens.

The Japanese vendors know a Yen when they see it! $430!!?
This may sound extreme, but I would advise against buying directly from dealers in Tokyo (off eBay), where profit taking means you are expected to be paying quite extraordinary prices. Of course you are paying a premium, but not for the reasons you normally expect.
Shop in Tokyo in person; don't even think about haggling for a lower price or you would most likely be shown the door. Their equipment grading is not the same as that used by e.g. B&H or KEH, Adorama (others too); at worst, their grading can be extremely misleading and deceptive, and very difficult to qualify by pictures alone on eBay, for example, an Ebony SV45TI for more than $3,600 with scuffs, cracks, broken lens holder stops and misaligned movements is not in "excellent" condition to us, but is "so me, so excellent, very condition" to the suited man behind the counter! This is my personal experience in Tokyo in May 2016; downright tiring searchingn for anything, and walking around battling a teeming, seething mass of phone-addicted humanity.
07-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #26

Original Poster
I've been reviewing P67 accessories from most of the major vendors: eBay, Adorama, KEH, etc. Japanese vendors do appear to be 10-20% higher in price, but they have the supply. KEH may only have one or none of the lenses I want, and their condition ranking system is just as cryptic to me because they don't list the major four issues for each lens, while the Japanese vendors do. I ignore the "EXCELLENT +++" rankings and simply look for:
  1. If the filter threads work
  2. If there is any fungus or haze
  3. If there is yellowing
  4. If there are scratches
  5. If there is balsam separation
  6. Or other obvious issues with the glass/focus ring

Then I see what ballpark ranges a great lens goes for and I try to nab one on the lower end of things.

Does anyone have any techniques for going straight to Japanese vendors, rather than through e-bay (besides flying to Japan?)

Thanks!
07-14-2017, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #27

I bought a D-FA 645 55mm from KEH which they had rated as "U" (Ugly). When it arrived it was in Mint condition. Ha! Lucky me.
07-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Does anyone have any techniques for going straight to Japanese vendors, rather than through e-bay (besides flying to Japan?)
Once suggestion is to engage the services of Bellamy Hunt (aka Japan Camera Hunter); he is the go-between: seller -- BH -- buyer, and has a refined grip on the Japanese retail market, while foreigners do not, which is why they feel they are being ripped off and can't get the communication through (not all retail stores have English speaking staff!). You state with him what you are looking, for, in what condition, what faults to avoid, your maximum price.. No guesswork, no touch-wood stuff. It takes much longer this way, but that's what you get with comparative surety.

Japan is worth the airfare if you like neon lights, Hello Kitty!, selfie-sticks everywhere and strange toys such as robot cats and dogs pulled along by toddlers. It is a very, very strange place (and in some respects very strict in terms of culture). Retailing is the strong point — a nirvana for shopaholics and gadget tragics. But it can leave you with a splitting headache after one day.
07-17-2017, 12:03 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Get the latest version of the 105/2.4 and you are set, it will fit nicely between your 75mm and 150mm. After that if you really want a good 6x7 LS portrait lens then the 67 165/4 is excellent.

Phil.
Agreed....the 165LS lens is excellent!...I use it on my 645Z and the images are almost at the (new) DFA standard...amazing piece of glass (or perhaps I just have one made to the 'best' quality?)...
07-17-2017, 07:03 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Once suggestion is to engage the services of Bellamy Hunt (aka Japan Camera Hunter); he is the go-between: seller -- BH -- buyer, and has a refined grip on the Japanese retail market, while foreigners do not, which is why they feel they are being ripped off and can't get the communication through (not all retail stores have English speaking staff!). You state with him what you are looking, for, in what condition, what faults to avoid, your maximum price.. No guesswork, no touch-wood stuff. It takes much longer this way, but that's what you get with comparative surety.

Japan is worth the airfare if you like neon lights, Hello Kitty!, selfie-sticks everywhere and strange toys such as robot cats and dogs pulled along by toddlers. It is a very, very strange place (and in some respects very strict in terms of culture). Retailing is the strong point a nirvana for shopaholics and gadget tragics. But it can leave you with a splitting headache after one day.
That's funny you mention that, Silent, since I just had contacted him before you suggested it! I found his service poking around looking for opportunities to buy directly from Japan without a middle person.

Unfortunately, Bellamy quoted me another 10-20% higher than what I can find on eBay. He told me:

QuoteQuote:
I am sorry, I cannot beat e-bay prices as my system is different. I can find these lenses, but my fees would apply.

I sell all items totally transparently at cost with no markup, only adding service fees. The standard fee structure for equipment sourcing is as follows: 5000 for items up to 10,000, 10,000 for any item over 10,000 up to 100,000, 20,000 for any item up to 200,000 and so on. To that I add expenses like postage to obtain the item or other fees like banking. A full fee breakdown is available upon request.
So I'm not sure what the advantage of shopping with him would be, unless he offers a guarantee on the items. Maybe if I buy lots of gear he can offer a price break. He quoted me between $350 - $400 for the 105 in a great condition - no broken filter threads, fungus, haze, yellowing, scratches, or balsam separation.

I ended up buying a 105 SMC Takumar on eBay in this condition for $334 which included the lens hood. The hood made it especially worth it, since I will be working outside and want one anyway. Decent ones run about $50. I shopped around for a few weeks, and didn't want to wait any longer on the lens. I have a few shoots coming up and the prices on this item seem to be increasing. Maybe I could have saved $30 by waiting longer, but that's life.

Now I need to track down a good deal on a waist level finder, and my system should be pretty much complete (unless I end up wanting better landscape lenses.)