Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #1

645 D FA 35mm

This lens is on sale at Adorama for $200 off with free overnight shipping. So I ordered it Sun pm. The lens arrived this morning. Awesome!

Today I ran a series of test photos comparing the D FA 35 to the A 35. The copy I received is a bit sharper than the A (my copy is very sharp) as well as rendering better contrast and colors. I was surprised how well the lens did at f 2.8 showing a very significant improvement over the A version. CA was very well controlled. All this plus the added bonus of auto focus makes the added cost of the D FA as compared to the A well worth it in my opinion.

My "A" will soon be for sale!

07-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I presume you mean f3.5 rather than f2.8?
07-12-2017, 06:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed Hurst Quote
I presume you mean f3.5 rather than f2.8?

Yes, f3.5.

Today I made large prints to compare the D FA to the A version. The A is very good! At the time of my first post I was judging by what was seen on the monitor. In some sections it appears the the D FA is giving slightly better sharpness and at other places the A is giving better sharpness. The D FA is producing better contrast graduation.

The A is listing on Ebay for about $500 while the D FA is 1k more. The choice betweeen the two boils down to the budget and use, the D FA being better at the wider aperatures, has the updated lens coating, auto focus and a lens hood.
07-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That matches my experience as well. I was very pleased with the A35 and found an across the board improvement at all apertures with the DFA35. Contrast is better too.

10-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How does the DFA version compare with the FA version of the lens? Would one see a noticeable impact on image quality due to the new lens coatings on the DFA version?
10-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
How does the DFA version compare with the FA version of the lens? Would one see a noticeable impact on image quality due to the new lens coatings on the DFA version?
I ran a side by side comparison of the two lens before I sold the A version. Here's my opinion. The resolution of the two lens is quite similar as judged by the scene used for the comparison. I believe the DFA version provides a noticeable improvement in color rendition and contrast. But the difference is not huge. Apparently the lens coatings on the A version are quite good.

For my use a distinct advantage of the DFA version is the auto focus which is useful for a multitude of situations especially for the wedding I will be shooting for my Grandson's wedding this weekend.

I'm using the lens on the 645Z camera. Overall I really like the way Pentax renders colors.

Phil