Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #1

Use of Polarized Filters for Medium Format Landscapes

Today while testing my newly arrived D FA 35mm lens on the Z I took a few frames using a polarizing filter. Overall the results with the filter "messed up" the color rendering of the pictures resulting in a rather "muddy" look.

The filter I used is a rather expensive B+W DIgital MRC nano that is made in Germany. This led to the question as to if and when do the members of this forum use polarizing filters for landscapes ??

Since these filters are available in different shades - is there an optimum choice for the best color rendering?

07-12-2017, 12:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
Since these filters are available in different shades - is there an optimum choice for the best color rendering?
I was under the impression that all B+W polarising filters were intended to be colour neutral. What do you mean, 'different shades'?
07-12-2017, 03:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Please share some images.

Before switching to Breakthrough Photography for my filters, I used B+W and had no issues.
07-12-2017, 04:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Is there any chance you can post images "with" and "without" the filter?

In addition to the obvious polarization effects on the sky (darkening blue skies relative to land & cloud) and water (reducing reflections or enhancing them), polarizers can modulate the reflections off of shiny leaves of plants is a landscape. Depending on the exact polarizer setting and leaf reflection geometry relative to the lighting, the result is somewhere between a flatter saturated look (leaf reflections suppressed so you see more green but lose object texture) or a more-textured but less-saturated look (leaf reflections relatively enhanced so the green of some leaves is paler but there's more texture contrast between different leaves of different angles and lighting).

P.S. And I assume you have a circular polarizer, not a linear one. Linear polarizers can work just fine but they do affect the accuracy of metering (which might impact the muddiness of the SOOC image) and are a little harder to use on SLRs that have half-silvered reflex mirrors for autofocus.

07-12-2017, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

This led to the question as to if and when do the members of this forum use polarizing filters for landscapes ??
I use a polarizer on shots as follows-
-- seascapes where too much reflection is coming off the water.
-- mountain landscapes of distant subjects where haze is present.
-- in landscapes where highly reflective leaves are causing glare.
-- to darken a pale sky where I feel it is too light.

But remember, just because you want to polarize a scene, doesn't mean you should always fully polarize it. This point is particularly important with digital shooting. Film is more forgiving with polarizing than digital.
07-12-2017, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I would be very, very, very surprised (and annoyed!) if a finger could be pointed at B+W polarising filters as a cause of "messed-up colour rendering". In my experience a colour shift is not borne out evidentially.

In your case no firm conclusion can be made beyond speculation in the absence of representative images and information about the camera's colour space.

At maximum polarisation you may need to increase the filter factor over and above what is being provided by the camera's meter; it isn't much — typically +0.5 to provide "lift" and overcome a dead mugginess — particularly evident where there are large bodies of water: full polarisation will "flatten" the character and colour. It is uncommon however to apply maximum polarisation in open spaces (but I use it in enclosed rainforest areas to remove spectrals).
07-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #7

Original Poster
I'm attaching two photos, one without the polarizing filter and one with. To me the sky looks muddy in the polarized picture and the colors just don't have the blue brilliance I'm looking for and I haven't found a process that makes them look like I want. My experience is the lens coatings produce the best colors so I refrain from using any filters to protect the lens. I understand that the polarizing lens will eliminate harsh reflections and do use them for that. Maybe the filter I have has the wrong tint, it seems to have a warming effect.

However, most responses are to the filter color shift issue, but what I'm really interested in is what others are doing when taking landscapes. There are several people who consistently post what I consider excellent landscapes with great colors - for those of you who are posting these, are you using polarizing filters for your work or do you consistently avoid them? When do you use them? What are you using?

_IMG8244 f8 | Phil Wiebe | Flickr

_IMG8265 f8 polar | Phil Wiebe | Flickr

Last edited by PhilRich; 07-12-2017 at 08:48 PM.
07-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Hmm.. That does look like it warmed the image a bit. Does your polarizer seem to have a bit of sepia tint to it?

As for the sky, the effect of a polarizer can vary with altitude, humidity, and aerosols. In the mountains of Colorado (very clear, dry air), a polarizer can turn the skies almost blue-black.
07-13-2017, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i definitely see that the sky exhibits uneven polarization, evident by the darker right side. be careful at wide angles when skies are blank or you may see uneven skies and not notice til you get home.

I'm assuming you were using AWB and the slight reduction of blue values made the camera adjust accordingly by slighty warming the WB of the polarized image. The polarizer is not to blame.
07-13-2017, 09:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

However, most responses are to the filter color shift issue, but what I'm really interested in is what others are doing when taking landscapes. There are several people who consistently post what I consider excellent landscapes with great colors - for those of you who are posting these, are you using polarizing filters for your work or do you consistently avoid them? When do you use them? What are you using?
I use B+W Polarizers as well, but the Linear MRC versions mostly. Linear are fine for all my film bodies, except the 67ii with the AE meter. The LX also has a metering issue if you shoot in manual mode, but not aperture priority.

Your attached shot is with a CPL I'm assuming, it does look a bit dark with muted colours. Did you do any bracketed shots to check for exposure errors?

I have 6 LPL's in various filter sizes form my 35mm and 6x7 lenses. I use them mostly to emphasize blue sky and water landscape shots.

Phil.
07-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I was under the impression that all B+W polarising filters were intended to be colour neutral. What do you mean, 'different shades'?

He must have been referring to the stops.
07-13-2017, 05:58 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i definitely see that the sky exhibits uneven polarization, evident by the darker right side. be careful at wide angles when skies are blank or you may see uneven skies and not notice til you get home.

I'm assuming you were using AWB and the slight reduction of blue values made the camera adjust accordingly by slighty warming the WB of the polarized image. The polarizer is not to blame.
Thanks for the comments Mike. I very much enjoy the photos that you post here. How often, and, when and what technique do you use a polarizer for your work?

---------- Post added 07-13-17 at 06:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I use B+W Polarizers as well, but the Linear MRC versions mostly. Linear are fine for all my film bodies, except the 67ii with the AE meter. The LX also has a metering issue if you shoot in manual mode, but not aperture priority.

Your attached shot is with a CPL I'm assuming, it does look a bit dark with muted colours. Did you do any bracketed shots to check for exposure errors?

I have 6 LPL's in various filter sizes form my 35mm and 6x7 lenses. I use them mostly to emphasize blue sky and water landscape shots.

Phil.
I was using the view down the street from where I live to make a series of test shots. The scene has a lot of variety close and far with the electrical wires for fine detail and etc. I didn't bracket the exposure.

Overall I've been disappointed with the colors using the polarizer and much prefer not using one, however there are some situations where reflections off of leaves, etc., spoil a picture.
07-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the comments Mike. I very much enjoy the photos that you post here. How often, and, when and what technique do you use a polarizer for your work?[COLOR="Silver"]
Thanks. IMO, a polarizer does best with partly cloudy skies, where the glare reduction of the blue sky can increase contrast and pop the clouds from the blue background. I avoid using them with large clear skies to avoid the uneven polarization issue.
I also bring out a polarizer for waterfalls to control glare on the rocks, and for foliage scenes to "green" up the leaves.
There are so many more applications including eyeglasses for portraits, car windows, reflective insects, wine bottles, etc. I generally realize i could've used a polarizer after the fact, lol.
07-14-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uneven polarization was particularly pronounced at the wide end using the SMC Pentax-A 35-105/3.5 zoom I once owned.
A friend suggested this effect was even greater due to the steeply curved front element of that model lens.

Chris
01-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #15

To me it looks quite OK, a polarizer will give mutted colors as decrease contrast. However, colors are more saturated and less contrast gives you more leeway for post processing.