Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bag recommendation for medium format cameras

I'm looking for a camera bag that I can use when I'm travelling. It needs to be able to carry a medium format kit, either the p67, 3 lenses, light meter, filters and film or my Rollei 6008 and the same. I'm not looking for something to carry all day, just something to get from A to B and store it while I'm there. Preferably a shoulder bag of some kind. I'm thinking the Domke F2 would work, but I'm wondering if there is anything else to consider.

Thanks in advance.

07-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Groan... all those cameras...lenses...weight...

This...

Last edited by Silent Street; 04-21-2018 at 09:16 PM.
07-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use a 1980's video camera bag. Mine is wearing out. It is not easy to find them in good condition now.
07-31-2017, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Billingham 550 Bag, mine is 30 years young and still going strong

08-01-2017, 06:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
p67, 3 lenses

I don't know about the Rollei, but I manage to get my P67 and three lens kit in an Ortlieb "Soft-Shot"
Camera Bags | Ortlieb USA

Unfortunately, it does matter which three lenses: my late model 200/4 is too long to fit when mounted (the 165/2.8 with aftermarket hood is pushing it as well, with camera carried in the vertical configuration.)

Since we're on the subject: does anyone have any thoughts on any relatively compact "holster" options for a P67 with chimney finder and lens mounted? Right now, a smallish Porta Brace video camera "doctor's bag" seems doable, but in truth it doesn't seem to gain me much space over the Ortlieb.
08-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Take your entire kit (both cameras and everything else plus ideas of future additions) to a reputable camera store and work your way through available packs. I question the wisdom of storing multiple systems in one pack though, especially since one might be bigger than the other and require more additions over time, thus squeezing any other system hitching a ride.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Since we're on the subject: does anyone have any thoughts on any relatively compact "holster" options for a P67 with chimney finder and lens mounted? Right now, a smallish Porta Brace video camera "doctor's bag" seems doable, but in truth it doesn't seem to gain me much space over the Ortlieb
I've seen something of the holster/pack style at my venerated dealer, but I have forgotten at the moment who makes it. From a passing glance last week, it has all manner of customisations and add-ons (which adds complexity, which adds to time taken to attach/adjust/sort the thing...). The holster screws into the tripod socket and has a cradle / Y-shaped attachment to the person with a drop-down pack (optioned). I dunno. The efficiency of "wearing" a camera like this is debatable, especially a heavy camera like the P67 or an odd-shaped camera like the Hasselblads. I have seen a few 'tos recently on the street carrying big (and ancient!) cameras freehand: nothing to note re holsters (are they popular at all??) — but there are lens pouches and the like attached to belts or dangling (precariously!) off the side of backpacks.
08-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
The efficiency of "wearing" a camera like this is debatable

Ha, before I got bitten by the 6x7 bug, I'd worked out a kind of modular approach where I kept the DSLR and lenses in separate bags, which allowed me to drop my big 110 liter pack and explore a few acres of countryside relatively unencumbered. (It also helped when climbing--especially "down-climbing"--was involved...I'm sure you've had the experience of suddenly wondering why you weren't born with a prehensile tail.) Unfortunately, the bags that would hold a P67 only don't seem to be that much more compact that the Ortlieb that holds the entire kit, so I'll probably have to let go of the concept.

08-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Take your entire kit (both cameras and everything else plus ideas of future additions) to a reputable camera store and work your way through available packs. I question the wisdom of storing multiple systems in one pack though, especially since one might be bigger than the other and require more additions over time, thus squeezing any other system hitching a ride.
Unfortunately, it's hard to come by a camera store with sufficient selection. I won't be storing multiple systems in the bag, just one or the other. I'd prefer that either system can work in the bag. Both are equally awkward.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a look at Ortlieb, I haven't heard of them before, I'll see about the cart. Billing ham is possibly out of my price range, but it depends on the alternatives.

Last edited by Gareth.Ig; 08-01-2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
08-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Unfortunately, it's hard to come by a camera store with sufficient selection. I won't be storing multiple systems in the bag, just one or the other. I'd prefer that either system can work in the bag. Both are equally awkward.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a look at Ortlieb, I haven't heard of them before, I'll see about the cart. Billing ham is possibly out of my price range, but it depends on the alternatives.

Ah—, I was wondering about that "hard to come by a camera store with sufficient selection", then I saw you are in St John's, Newfoundland!
It's on my bucket list, camera store or no camera store!!

I suspect, with only Google maps to navi by, that if you are ever flying down to NY, you'd have a darned good variety to choose from, especially at B&H e.g. Kata and LowePro (you could always mail order from B&H: they serve us well enough from NY to Australia!).

Looks may thrill, but beauty is more than skin deep. One thing to scrutinise with bags is the manufacturing quality and how utterly variable it is e.g. reinforced haul-handles/loops, the security and durability of zippers, heavy duty stitching, and the durability of the base, that will have to engage with anything you happen upon. I have never owned a Billingham (they do seem quite expensive), but I have had a few Kata bags (present boxy one snuggly holds my forby kit) and a long-serving LowePro AW-something that holds the 67 kit and caboodle "just so". An even older odd rear-side opening LowePro affair holds my much-loved 35mm kit.

So... is it within the realms of possibility to order-up from B&H or another store distant? I hope something can be done. Or just hold tight until I come up yonder with my boxes, portmanteaux and bags (I don't travel light...)!

And now I must get back to Google Maps during lunch to have a peek around St. John's. I cannot help myself when I see quaint fishing villages...
08-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bag for medium format camera and lenses.

When I purchased my 645D with four lenses, the entire outfit arrived in an unexpected black Lowepro bag, which housed the entire kit quite comfortably. Appearing on the bag is the designation Nova 5 AW, and this may well be the model number. I suspect this bag would be quite sufficient for a 67 outfit. Good luck and happy hunting!
08-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use this for my 6x7 kit:

ikan Trekker Lens Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Phil.
08-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #12

I know you mentioned a shoulder bag, but have you looked at any of Peak Design's stuff? They *do* have a shoulder bag but I went with their 20L Everyday Backpack. While nice, it was a bit small for what I wanted to carry in addition to my camera gear at the time. I imagine the 30L may work out well if you set things up right. Or, their shoulder bags could be a good choice for the 67.

The Everyday Messenger Bag | Peak Design

I had a two week vacation that I took the backpack on and it fared extremely well. Had my digital camera, laptop, etc in the bag and while I liked it, it was a bit small. I'd go for the 30L but the backpack wasn't designed nearly as well as my research led me to believe. This is just my experience with the backpack. The shoulder bag/messenger bag would obviously be different but overall, the construction fit and finish of their bags are great. They have a lot of neat little features integrated into the bag that make them pleasant to use. Just didn't work out too well for me.
08-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah—, I was wondering about that "hard to come by a camera store with sufficient selection", then I saw you are in St John's, Newfoundland!
It's on my bucket list, camera store or no camera store!!

I suspect, with only Google maps to navi by, that if you are ever flying down to NY, you'd have a darned good variety to choose from, especially at B&H e.g. Kata and LowePro (you could always mail order from B&H: they serve us well enough from NY to Australia!).

Looks may thrill, but beauty is more than skin deep. One thing to scrutinise with bags is the manufacturing quality and how utterly variable it is e.g. reinforced haul-handles/loops, the security and durability of zippers, heavy duty stitching, and the durability of the base, that will have to engage with anything you happen upon. I have never owned a Billingham (they do seem quite expensive), but I have had a few Kata bags (present boxy one snuggly holds my forby kit) and a long-serving LowePro AW-something that holds the 67 kit and caboodle "just so". An even older odd rear-side opening LowePro affair holds my much-loved 35mm kit.

So... is it within the realms of possibility to order-up from B&H or another store distant? I hope something can be done. Or just hold tight until I come up yonder with my boxes, portmanteaux and bags (I don't travel light...)!

And now I must get back to Google Maps during lunch to have a peek around St. John's. I cannot help myself when I see quaint fishing villages...
If you are planning a visit to Newfoundland, make sure you plan to get off the Avalon Peninsula. Bonavista, Twillingate, La Scie and the entirety of the West Coast are much more rewarding to visit if you are looking for quaint fishing villages.

I have been looking at the LowePro shoulder bags, they seem to have the right mix of bag width and construction suitable for a medium format camera. I'll have to have a closer look at the bags the next time I am in Calgary (I travel there often for work and the Camera Store is a short walk from the hotel I stay at). In fairness to St. John's, NL Camera has a reasonable selection of kit, but its a bit more focused on the enthusiast, although they still sell and process film.
08-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Billingham 550 to move everything (my 6008 plus three lenses, 3 backs, 2x converter and still space to fill).
If I want to be lighter and more compact, I get the 6008, three lenses, two backs into a Billingham 307 (without the detachable grip, which doesn't suit me).
Bags are waterproof and very durable.

Don't know about the size of the P67 or the Domke.
08-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Peak Design Everyday Backpack comfortably accommodates my 645Z and 35, 55, 75, 120 and 150mm primes, with room for a ring flash and other bits and pieces. It is the only way I would consider carrying the full kit.