Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2017, 03:54 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
@texandrews, good to hear from you. Although I am committed to the Pentax platform, I like the 850 specs, especially the 4K video. We have to wait and see how the 4K aspect of the camera performs. It is really getting tougher to decide between systems. Since you have had both 645Z and K1 and have shot them at the same time, you are one of the few people on the forum who can actually comment on the quality of the two cameras first hand.

I know it is too much to ask but I would love to see 645Z and K1 images from the same subject matter, same ISO settings, similar focal length to see if they are really that different.

Thanks
I will try to cook something up for you. It'll have to be Dropbox, so you can evaluate full size. I leave for 6 weeks on the road for work this coming Saturday, and my daughter is visiting us before she meets her husband in Denmark, I have photo deliverables due by Friday for the museum, plus 1 day there this week to document something in obsessive detail (maybe something from that shoot for you....), plus honeydo list, finishing my accommodations for LA, packing, & etc, and one day with my 87 y.o. mom and her second house (sheesh, mom...). Um, busy week. But I'd actually like to work with you on that, even in the midst....so wish me luck!

09-03-2017, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@texandrews, good to hear from you. Although I am committed to the Pentax platform, I like the 850 specs, especially the 4K video. We have to wait and see how the 4K aspect of the camera performs. It is really getting tougher to decide between systems. Since you have had both 645Z and K1 and have shot them at the same time, you are one of the few people on the forum who can actually comment on the quality of the two cameras first hand.

I know it is too much to ask but I would love to see 645Z and K1 images from the same subject matter, same ISO settings, similar focal length to see if they are really that different.

Thanks
Go to this page, select your camera and ISO for the images you want to compare.
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ? Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
09-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Why i never have this kinds of problems???

09-03-2017, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ? Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

That is a great resource to use. A couple questions that i have.

The pictures are in jpg and notice the k-1 is using a 70mm lens, while the 645z is using a 55 mm lens. Do they crop or have the cameras in a different point when they take the pictures?

Could not find the tab but are you also able to change lenses? If lets say you wanted to see how the wide, normal, and telephoto fov behave.

I probably should look a little more but it gets cut off on my phone screen, but do you know if they also offer un edited raw on the list of photos?

I have a few more questions of course, but those are ones that i think are important for the comparison if one was to do one.

09-03-2017, 11:27 PM - 4 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
645Z all the way.
From what i've read so far, the Nikon 850 has no high ISO advantage over the 810D which does not perform better than the K-1. That said, you already have your 645 lenses. why are you thinking of switching platforms to not upgrade from the 645D?
09-04-2017, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
That is a great resource to use. A couple questions that i have.

The pictures are in jpg and notice the k-1 is using a 70mm lens, while the 645z is using a 55 mm lens. Do they crop or have the cameras in a different point when they take the pictures?

Could not find the tab but are you also able to change lenses? If lets say you wanted to see how the wide, normal, and telephoto fov behave.

I probably should look a little more but it gets cut off on my phone screen, but do you know if they also offer un edited raw on the list of photos?

I have a few more questions of course, but those are ones that i think are important for the comparison if one was to do one.
The Sigma 70 is used because it is a great lens and can be used on almost every platform. The 645 had to use something different. I assume they move the cameras, because they use the Sigma 70 on both Full Frame and APS-c cameras. As to why they used the 55, not the 75 or 120, I have no idea.
09-04-2017, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

The Sigma 70 is used because it is a great lens and can be used on almost every platform. The 645 had to use something different. I assume they move the cameras, because they use the Sigma 70 on both Full Frame and APS-c cameras. As to why they used the 55, not the 75 or 120, I have no idea.

That is good to know. They did pretty well to fill the frame for each format in same manor. Maybe they wanted something that was designed and built for digital and not film? Although the film lenses hold up really well.

09-04-2017, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I will try to cook something up for you. It'll have to be Dropbox, so you can evaluate full size. I leave for 6 weeks on the road for work this coming Saturday, and my daughter is visiting us before she meets her husband in Denmark, I have photo deliverables due by Friday for the museum, plus 1 day there this week to document something in obsessive detail (maybe something from that shoot for you....), plus honeydo list, finishing my accommodations for LA, packing, & etc, and one day with my 87 y.o. mom and her second house (sheesh, mom...). Um, busy week. But I'd actually like to work with you on that, even in the midst....so wish me luck!
I appreciate the offer. Take care of work and family first. They are a lot more important. Good luck on the trip and the visits. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 08:57 AM ----------

Thank you. I will check it out. Up to now my go to place was DPReview. Now I know of another source to compare systems. Thanks again.
09-04-2017, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Although the film lenses hold up really well.
This is my experience. There are some on this forum and other ones who strongly feel that only the most modern lenses will do, thus a big part of the hullabaloo about the new Fuji. While I agree that more contemporary lenses should be made, realistically I would not be able to afford them new, and it would be a while before any newer models hit the used market at prices I could afford. The 25, for instance, scarce as hen's teeth, is still too dear for me, as is the 28-45.

Meanwhile, I'm not going to let the lack of newer lens models deter me from using the Z, the best body for what I do available. My film era lenses are working really well for me. That seems true for several other shooters here as well. Also, some of these film era lenses aren't so old as all that....
09-04-2017, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
645Z all the way.
From what i've read so far, the Nikon 850 has no high ISO advantage over the 810D which does not perform better than the K-1. That said, you already have your 645 lenses. why are you thinking of switching platforms to not upgrade from the 645D?
@Pablo Villegas, check out Mike's work. It is one of the best I have seen... and I have seen a lot. If I remember correctly the bulk of his work was done with a 645D. Can you imagine what he can do with the Z.

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 09:08 AM ----------

Meanwhile, I'm not going to let the lack of newer lens models deter me from using the Z, the best body for what I do available. My film era lenses are working really well for me. That seems true for several other shooters here as well. Also, some of these film era lenses aren't so old as all that....
+1. I agree wholeheartedly. I own the A120 and FA200. I had the FA45-85 which I (regrettably) let go. They are all excellent lenses, at least on my K1 and K3. The only thing I noticed which is a shortcoming in my opinion is that they are prone to flare. They do the job for super reasonable prices.
09-04-2017, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

This is my experience. There are some on this forum and other ones who strongly feel that only the most modern lenses will do, thus a big part of the hullabaloo about the new Fuji. While I agree that more contemporary lenses should be made, realistically I would not be able to afford them new, and it would be a while before any newer models hit the used market at prices I could afford. The 25, for instance, scarce as hen's teeth, is still too dear for me, as is the 28-45.

The older lenses perform really well, love using the 135LS especially. i believe the newer lenses will be expensive and out of reach for most people, and if you look back at most of my posts from other threads im probably one of those people you speak of. Its hard to overlook the quick production of the fuji system. As much as the older lenses are doing a fine job, gives more character then a lot of newer glass, when dealing with some of the higher end products of pentax that sell very well, its hard to overlook an aging system. With the k-mount you have some newer glass that are quiet, have the weather sealing, and the newer coatings that help. With the 645 system, except for a couple lenses, you dont have that. I think thats why people make the big fuss. Taking away the 25mm didnt help either. Luckily the lenses that we do have, do a superb job.

09-04-2017, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

645Z all the way.
I have seen high ISO samples and the 850 seems a solid stop better than the 810, so that would put it on par with the 645z.

But this new gen BSI sensor would have increased dynamic range as well.

However, like you Mike I would have to ask why the OP wouldn't just upgrade to the Z.

Only reason is if he wants a more versatile system and lighter weight.

It's a tough call, if I still had the 645D I would consider the same as Pentax aren't paying much attention to the 645 system.

But then what about the replacement (if ever) to the 645Z? It will leap them all again like the Z did the first time.
09-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #43

Original Poster
645Z all the way.
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I have seen high ISO samples and the 850 seems a solid stop better than the 810, so that would put it on par with the 645z.

But this new gen BSI sensor would have increased dynamic range as well.

However, like you Mike I would have to ask why the OP wouldn't just upgrade to the Z.

Only reason is if he wants a more versatile system and lighter weight.

It's a tough call, if I still had the 645D I would consider the same as Pentax aren't paying much attention to the 645 system.

But then what about the replacement (if ever) to the 645Z? It will leap them all again like the Z did the first time.

Hi and thank you all, sorry, Ive been rather busy this week.

My reason for thinking of moving from Pentax is that I run into a lot of problems trying to do certain things, like working thetered, using the camranger, and HSS, although doable with the 645D and Z. It doesn't work as good or as easy as the other brands, it works with some strobes and not others, with some cameras and not others, and in my case it requires to stack two triggers on top of the 645D, already a big camera, so with the XT1 and the Cactus V6ii stacked on top it's annoying and bulky. I could buy another Cactus V6ii for every light I own, but that's expensive and silly.

And finally, Pentax is almost non existent in Mexico, everything is double the price and service is hard to find and slow.

But the thing I care about the most is image quality, which encompasses Dynamic range, Color depth and Resolution with usable high ISO.
That's why I'm asking, I've never even used a D810. If the IQ is similar to the 645Z, will it make sense changing to that system, for overall compatibility? But that's only if I get very similar quality. Sadly there's no rental market here to test the cameras, and I can only do it at the shop, which is not ideal.

Thanks again.
09-06-2017, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
I've never even used a D810. If the IQ is similar to the 645Z, will it make sense changing to that system,
I am a former Canon shooter. I switched to Pentax about 4 years ago and love the quality of the images. However, when it comes to third party lens support and more importantly accessory support Pentax shooters are at a disadvantage as there are far fewer companies supporting the Pentax system.

The other gripe that I have personally with my K1 and K3 is focus speed. I shot weddings back in mid 2000's (with Canons), I have said this to my friends too that if I had to shoot weddings again, I would switch from Pentax because the keeper rates are relatively low. My go to system for that type of shooting would be Nikon hands down. I drool over focus speed and accuracy of Nikons that my buddies shoot with.

If I were you, and if you are not in a hurry, wait for the 850 to arrive and see the initial reactions and quality reports. Then make a decision. I do some studio and mostly landscapes these days so a K1 or the 645Z are perfectly suited for that type of shooting.

Your description of the type of work you do and what your requirements are, tell me that you may have outgrown the Pentax eco system. Tethering is a biggie for some studio shooters. I do not use it but if one needs it for their work then Pentax shooters have been complaining about it ever since I can remember.

It is tough because we are (at least I am) a loyal Pentaxians and want to stay with the system. But if it has serious shortcomings then it is perhaps time to go where they offer a better solution.
09-06-2017, 01:59 PM - 3 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

It is tough because we are (at least I am) a loyal Pentaxians and want to stay with the system. But if it has serious shortcomings then it is perhaps time to go where they offer a better solution.
It the same for many of us. I've been shooting Pentax since 1967, but there could come a time...
At least it's not likely, I'm retired, I don't need to work. I can't imagine what would make me change... but the limitations of the system are pretty clear if you read the forum.

For a retired person a K-1 is so much overkill as to be ridiculous, for a working pro, you gotta do what you gotta do.