Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #1

Canon EF Mount lens on a 645??

Is this possible? I've been heavily invested in Canon EOS gear for a long time and shoot the 6D. Before you all laugh at what maybe a silly question :-D..... I'm a really recent 645 owner and I have the 80-160mm lens and....c'mon, it's a tank! I really wanted to enter the medium format world and the original 645 was my first fiscally responsible choice. I'm looking for something more mobile. I don't care about losing f/ function if that's the case. I mean, if it's a cheap adapter, I'll go for it just to experiment. All the adapters I've seen out there are for 645 lenses to 35mm fullframe bodies, but not the visa versa. Thoughts?

09-03-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nathan, Canon have never made medium format, so for starters I can't see any of their lenses covering a big sensor like the one on your 645 ...
09-03-2017, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Short answer. NO.

The distance from the flange of the lens mount to the sensor plane is the important distance. Lenses designed for a camera with a longer flange to sensor distance can be mounted on a camera with a shorter flange to sensor distance by using an adapter to make up the difference between the two flange to sensor dimensions. So you can mount Pentax 67 lenses on 645, 645 lenses on Pentax K-mount or lenses on Canon EF mount. There are adapters for all these combinations.

Canon EF lenses have a shorter flange to sensor distance than 645 cameras. This would mean that the flange of the lens would have to be INSIDE the 645 lens mount to allow correct focusing. This is something that just would NOT work. You could construct an adapter with additional glass to correct for this situation, but no one makes them.

Regards

Chris
09-04-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Your Canon glass can be mounted on the ML Fuji,plenty of dumb adapters and a recently anounced AF one by TechArt Pro.

09-04-2017, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Your Canon glass can be mounted on the ML Fuji,plenty of dumb adapters and a recently anounced AF one by TechArt Pro.
Don't do this, they'll need corrective glass!

09-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

actually there are a number of canon lenses that will cover a 44mm image circle quite comfortably.
09-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
actually there are a number of canon lenses that will cover a 44mm image circle quite comfortably.
What were you thinking of, 672?

The OP has a 6D, so he probably has EF lenses.

09-05-2017, 10:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nathan, Canon have never made medium format, so for starters I can't see any of their lenses covering a big sensor like the one on your 645 ...
Thanks clackers. I should've mentioned that my 645 is the original film version. Not sure if that makes a difference though - for mounting an EF lens on that body.
09-05-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nathanduncanphoto Quote
Thanks clackers. I should've mentioned that my 645 is the original film version. Not sure if that makes a difference though - for mounting an EF lens on that body.
It makes it worse, Nathan, because it will really be 6cmx4.5cm, right?

As I understand it, the 645D and 645Z use cropped MF sensors, about two-thirds the size.
09-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Short answer. NO.

The distance from the flange of the lens mount to the sensor plane is the important distance. Lenses designed for a camera with a longer flange to sensor distance can be mounted on a camera with a shorter flange to sensor distance by using an adapter to make up the difference between the two flange to sensor dimensions. So you can mount Pentax 67 lenses on 645, 645 lenses on Pentax K-mount or lenses on Canon EF mount. There are adapters for all these combinations.

Canon EF lenses have a shorter flange to sensor distance than 645 cameras. This would mean that the flange of the lens would have to be INSIDE the 645 lens mount to allow correct focusing. This is something that just would NOT work. You could construct an adapter with additional glass to correct for this situation, but no one makes them.

Regards

Chris
Thanks seventhdr1. I should've mentioned that my 645 is the original film version. Not sure if that makes a difference though - for mounting an EF lens on that body. Makes sense what you said though. That corrective glass on other ones makes a difference (like Canon FD to EF mount, etc).

---------- Post added 09-05-17 at 10:50 PM ----------

It makes it worse, Nathan, because it will really be 6cmx4.5cm, right?

As I understand it, the 645D and 645Z use cropped MF sensors, about two-thirds the size.
True true, I was thinking that just now. The D and Z sensors are considerably smaller than the 645 film image.

---------- Post added 09-05-17 at 10:52 PM ----------

Thanks everyone! Looks like I'll have to look at medium format options going forward.
09-06-2017, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of the Pentax 645 lenses are excellent value and also quite compact. A150 is quite compact for such a long focal length, and IMO a great value (one of my most used lenses). Has a built-in hood. The 75 (either the A or the FA) is very compact for a MF lens, also a great performer, more expensive than the 150 but still a pretty good value. The A55 is also good, and not too large and a pretty good value.
09-06-2017, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #12

645 A lenses are very cheap, and most primes are not that heavy or big, the zooms are another story.
09-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Some of the Pentax 645 lenses are excellent value and also quite compact. A150 is quite compact for such a long focal length, and IMO a great value (one of my most used lenses). Has a built-in hood. The 75 (either the A or the FA) is very compact for a MF lens, also a great performer, more expensive than the 150 but still a pretty good value. The A55 is also good, and not too large and a pretty good value.
Ya I was looking at the 55 or the 75 recently. I like those.

---------- Post added 09-07-17 at 07:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
645 A lenses are very cheap, and most primes are not that heavy or big, the zooms are another story.
I agree with you. I was just trying to be cheap and use my current stuff if possible. But the Pentax-A 55mm & 75mm are rather great values and light.
09-11-2017, 08:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

What were you thinking of, 672?

The OP has a 6D, so he probably has EF lenses.
i was stirring the pot a little bit. i know the OP wants to use his canon glass on pentax 645 AND his canon FF. not possible. my point was more that many canon lenses do in fact have an image circle that covers a 44mm circle. i have a canon FD 600mm f4.5 that i shoot on pentax 645Z. it was at some point chopped up for cinema use and covers 44mm quite comfortably.
09-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
i was stirring the pot a little bit. i know the OP wants to use his canon glass on pentax 645 AND his canon FF. not possible. my point was more that many canon lenses do in fact have an image circle that covers a 44mm circle. i have a canon FD 600mm f4.5 that i shoot on pentax 645Z. it was at some point chopped up for cinema use and covers 44mm quite comfortably.
Being all manual it probably works fine for you, 672.

Don't know how he'd even have a working aperture with an EF lens.