Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #1

How much of viewfinder is on the frame?

Specifically, I have the original 645. And I'm new to mf, graduating from 35mm SLR. Since the actual film images are situated portrait (with camera upright) and the viewfinder is viewed as landscape, how far off center may I compose my models within the finder? Like how much of the left and right rides of the finder won't be on the film? 1/4 of each? 1/3? Etc. Thanks!

09-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nathanduncanphoto Quote
Specifically, I have the original 645. And I'm new to mf, graduating from 35mm SLR. Since the actual film images are situated portrait (with camera upright) and the viewfinder is viewed as landscape, how far off center may I compose my models within the finder? Like how much of the left and right rides of the finder won't be on the film? 1/4 of each? 1/3? Etc. Thanks!
The film sees more than the viewfinder, so everything in the viewfinder will be captured, and then some. The viewfinder coverage is 92% vertically and 93% horizontally.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2017, 12:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
I've read the 92% & 93%, but I can't figure how that factors into a more horizontal vf and a more vertical exposure. Confusion....
09-09-2017, 01:58 AM   #4

The viewfinder cutoff is roughly equivalent to the area of film that is covered by a 35mm slide mount. Get a mounted slide, trace the slide opening on the film chip with a marker and unmount the film to see how much gets cutoff. Or take an unmounted slide and place an empty slide mount over the image.

09-09-2017, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The viewfinder cutoff is roughly equivalent to the area of film that is covered by a 35mm slide mount. Get a mounted slide, trace the slide opening on the film chip with a marker and unmount the film to see how much gets cutoff. Or take an unmounted slide and place an empty slide mount over the image.
OP is talking 645 format off 120 roll film, this is not correct
you are correct for a full frame 35mm camera though
09-09-2017, 06:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've read the 92% & 93%, but I can't figure how that factors into a more horizontal vf and a more vertical exposure. Confusion....
The frames are portrait orientation on the roll, but the roll runs through the camera vertically (unlike a 35mm SLR), so it's just an ordinary view through the viewfinder.
09-09-2017, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You are trying to figure out how much of the frame you won't be able to see, on the left and the right? Or the difference in area between the viewfinder and the photograph?

09-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
You are trying to figure out how much of the frame you won't be able to see, on the left and the right? Or the difference in area between the viewfinder and the photograph?
I think both? So let's say I'm holding the camera regular/upright and I have 3 models standing in front of me. And in my viewfinder I see all 3. Tops of their heads touching the top of my viewfinder and their feet are touching the bottom of my viewfinder. The left model's side is also touching the left edge of my viewfinder and the right model's side is also touching the right edge of my viewfinder. The middle model is just dead center. So I'm fully seeing all 3 bodies. How much of the left and right model's bodies will not appear on the photograph?
09-09-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much of the left and right model's bodies will not appear on the photograph?
Everything you see in the viewfinder makes it to film and then some. The film transport runs vertically through the camera, not horizontally, so the viewfinder orientation matches the image orientation on the film.
09-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
Ok cool. My first roll is at the lab right now so I'll see how good or bad I did! I'm busy excited to shoot this second roll soon. 😎