Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Removing stuck SD card in Slot 1 of 645Z?

Just purchased a used 645Z. Shot my first 32gig card. I press in on the SD card, but the spring does not push out the card. Are there any tricks to retrieving an SD card?

645z
Slot 1
32gig Sandisk card.

Thank you.

09-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtps Quote
Just purchased a used 645Z. Shot my first 32gig card. I press in on the SD card, but the spring does not push out the card. Are there any tricks to retrieving an SD card?

645z
Slot 1
32gig Sandisk card.

Thank you.
There are some tips in this thread:
SD Card is stuck in my K-5 IIs. Help! - PentaxForums.com

Assuming the card is the issue and not the body, then you just need to find a way to yank it out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtps Quote

645z
Slot 1
32gig Sandisk card.

Thank you.
Since mine DOES come out, I grabbed a flashlight and magnifying glass and took a close look. I'd never really wondered how these things work before so I thought a bit or research might be useful.

I noticed a small notch on the edge of the sd card just opposite the switch that prevents recording. Looking into the slot I see a white nylon looking device with a protrusion matching the notch, which I assume is the latch. As the notched side is also the side with the angle cut on the corner, I would suppose the angle cut allows the card to push down on the white thing during insertion, causing it to pivot down until the notch reaches it.
Best guess is that pressing a previously inserted card causes it to contact the far end of the white thing causing it to pivot down and latch so the card can be withdrawn.

So, is the card stuck because
a). it's bent or has a piece sticking out or there's a foreign body stuck in with it
or
b). is the latch failing to pivot down and latch in that position so the card can be withdrawn? Since you can't see anything with a card inserted I can't imagine how you would tell.

If It's "a" you could just grab it with a needle nose pliers and pull it out.

If it's "b" the latch may break before the latch pulls out of the card. Using a flashlight I note that there MIGHT be enough space at the bottom of the slot to insert something long and thin, like a needle, far enough to push the latch down.

If it were me, I think I'd just keep pushing on it and moving it around and hope it comes loose.

Or better yet, if it was purchased from a reputable seller I think I'd scream like a pig in a gate. Ebay protection claim possibly?

Last edited by postnobills; 09-19-2017 at 07:37 AM.
09-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you. I finally pushed PRETTY hard and got the spring to engage and release it. I will go with Slot 2 from now on.