Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2017, 10:35 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax 6x7 Marine Finder

I thought I would share a few photos of a recently acquired collectible. It is the optional finder for the Pentax 6x7 Marine housing and is probably one of the rarest pieces of Pentax equipment ever sold to the general public. Internet lore says that less than 100 of the marine housings were produced and since you had the option of using this finder or getting an extension piece (probably even rare still) for the regular prism there would be fewer of these finders sold than the housings. Note that I say finder, not prism, since it is just a mirror at a 45 degree angle inside a sheet metal box with lenses over the focussing screen and at the rear. Although you end up with a reversed and inverted image it would still have to be easier than squinting through a diving mask at the image in the regular prism.

09-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's very cool--while I'm no collector, I do appreciate just how well thought-out these "mature" technologies were.
09-19-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had never heard of this before. I have several Pentax leaflets and booklets about the 6x7 and 67 (including the 6x7 instruction manual) and it is not mentioned in any of them. From the style of it , and the "Asahi Pentax" name rather than just "Pentax" I guess it belongs to the 6x7 period.

How is it used? You refer to a "marine housing" which was presumably a large waterproof box with windows for lens and viewfinder, and at least some sort of shutter release and winder devices, but I have never seen one of those either. Do we have any pictures of one? Never done any diving myself, but it sounds very unwieldy.
09-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It's the big grey thing in the back:

From what I understand, most underwater housings are designed to have fairly neutral buoyancy so although it is very heavy it wouldn't actually be that cumbersome in use.