Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2017, 02:55 AM   #1

P645 bent screen

Hey!

I just today got my first P645 camera and really excited! This is my first medium format camera so I am just learning. Of course ordered from Japan
What does it mean that screen is bent ( it was mentioned in the description and my bad that I did not press attention on that) ? I am not sure but I think I can see that bent in the viewfinder ( if I am correct ). It is like half a circle in darker colour. I have attched a few photos. Does it affect photos?

Many thanks!

---------- Post added 09-22-17 at 03:17 AM ----------

Also in the first attched photo there is visible two black dots which I can not see on the mirror. Somewhere inside?
Sorry for stupid questions...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
09-22-2017, 03:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi, Mada. AFAIK, the 'bent' screen will not directly impinge on the photographs, since it is not in the light path when the image is taken. However, depending on how bad it is, it 'may' affect focusing - you'll have to test it and see. I am unfamiliar with this model, but if replacement screens are available it may be worth seeking a replacement.

I know on my old Bronica the screens were interchangeable, but unfortunately that camera was not fireproof ...
09-22-2017, 03:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The focusing screen sits just above your mirror. If the bend or dent is bad enough, it could affect your ability to focus critically. The only way to know, is to run a test at your largest aperture (f/2.8-3.5) in a sequence where you think it's perfect, then intentionally slightly front focus, and then back focus. Another test would be seeing if infinity looks sharp at infinity. When you get your negs back, use a light table and a medium format loupe (4x) although any magnifier will work.

If you shoot wide angle (55mm or less) or rarely wide open (f/8 or higher), it won't really matter unless you crop a lot or make 16x20 prints where you will see differences in sharpness. If the bent screen affects your focus significantly, you'll want to replace it. Sometimes Beattie screens show up on eBay or you might find a dead 645 being sold "as is" and you could use it for parts. Or if your test results in front or back focusing as the solution, that would be the cheapest fix.

The two black dots are dust typically on the upper surface of the focusing screen. It's a bit annoying but does not affect your images at all. With care you can remove your screen, use a rocket blower to remove the dust, but dust just loves to live in the viewfinder and is magnified to test the photographer's ability to focus on what really matters. I would just ignore those dots (life is full of them).

And welcome to your new 645!!! Once I started shooting medium format, I rarely returned to 35mm.
09-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you all!

I will use the first film and will see the results. I contacted the seller and been told that it won't affect photo quality. So will see...

Many thanks!

09-22-2017, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #5

Yea you can change that screen out. There are several different kinds available (split focus, matte, different grids) and its an easy job. While you are doing that, take a rocket blower to behind the screen up there. The dust is on the prism.