Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #1

Need help - Manual settings

Hi all,

I am new here and just started to use medium film camera. Today is a day I did receive my P645 and just trying to figure out how it is working on Manual mode. I am not sure if this working properly but I might be wrong.

1. Example I set ISO 200 ( will be using Fuji 400h and I love overexposed film) and I will adjust F stops by hand not auto. My concern is how can I get shurret speed? On the camera I can change M 250 and next is 60 and thats all I have attached photos for better view. Sorry if this question is so stupid I'm just learning...

2. Also I have no clear idea when to use +-EF. I understand that this is for underexposing or overexposing the film. But if I set ISO 200 for 400 film do I need to set up these EF to overexpose the film?

Many thanks!

---------- Post added 09-22-17 at 08:40 AM ----------

It seamed did not worked because film wasn't loaded. I loaded film and it is working now.
My only question is regarding those +- EF's.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
09-22-2017, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe that using + or - EF is to adjust the exposure for individual frames where the subject matter could fool the meter into under- or over-exposing.
09-22-2017, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mada Quote
2. Also I have no clear idea when to use +-EF. I understand that this is for underexposing or overexposing the film. But if I set ISO 200 for 400 film do I need to set up these EF to overexpose the film?
If you consistently want to over-expose (I guess you are talking about B&W) then set your film speed to a lower value than it really is; like you say, ISO 200 for 400 film.

The use of EF is for "special situations" where the camera meter is fooled. Eg strong backlighting or a snow scene causing the camera to underexpose the subject, or OTOH a mostly black or very dark subject filling the frame causing the camera to overexpose to try to make it into standard grey. Then you might use a plus or minus EF respectively.

As you want to over-expose by a factor of 2 consistently, then leave the film speed set at 200 and apply the EF in addition to that only for those special situations, which you will meet just as anyone else does.
09-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks all! I believe I just have to start shooting and trying out everything!

Many thanks!

09-22-2017, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To change shutter speeds, push the arrow buttons next to display. If you want to get full manual mode, push the mode button so it has the M in the display, like the M250 in your photo. Then you can use the arrow buttons to change the shutter speed.
09-22-2017, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mada Quote
I believe I just have to start shooting and trying out everything
Don't forget to post the results so we can all admire them.
09-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
I thought I could add another question here so do not want to open another post...

I know that P645 has to be built in light meter if I am right but I can not see him. It does not show up even after pressing shutter half way. Is it an issue or am I doing something wrong? Just wondering...

p.s I am not confident to shoot all film now I do have a light meter so I will use it for now...

Many thanks for your time!
09-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you set the mode to manual shutter speed (with the M on the display) and set the lens to a setting other than A, it will be in manual mode. The light meter will show up inside the viewfinder toward the right (?), showing how many stops under or over export the image it. It is a red display showing 03, 02, 01, +1, +2, +3, and also OK for correct exposure. If you are over or under by more than 3 stops, it will still show 03 or +3, and the display will blink.

To adjust the shutter speed press the arrow buttons next to the LCD display, and to change the aperture, turn the aperture ring on the lens. Changing those will affect what is displayed in the viewfinder. When you get it to "OK", then the metering has determined that you have the appropriate settings for a correct exposure of the film.

09-28-2017, 06:00 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If you set the mode to manual shutter speed (with the M on the display) and set the lens to a setting other than A, it will be in manual mode. The light meter will show up inside the viewfinder toward the right (?), showing how many stops under or over export the image it. It is a red display showing 03, 02, 01, +1, +2, +3, and also OK for correct exposure. If you are over or under by more than 3 stops, it will still show 03 or +3, and the display will blink.

To adjust the shutter speed press the arrow buttons next to the LCD display, and to change the aperture, turn the aperture ring on the lens. Changing those will affect what is displayed in the viewfinder. When you get it to "OK", then the metering has determined that you have the appropriate settings for a correct exposure of the film.
I took one shot in M mode and light meter did not show up at all! Could it be that he will not show up cos settings are right? I used hand light meter.

Nope, it just not showinf up just shot another shot

Thanks!

Last edited by Mada; 09-28-2017 at 08:11 AM.
09-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #10

Original Poster
Shutter M 500 and F2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
09-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The light meter info is visible when you look in the viewfinder to compose the shot. Maybe your camera has a problem?

Do you have a copy of the manual for the camera?
09-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #12

Original Poster
The light meter info is visible when you look in the viewfinder to compose the shot. Maybe your camera has a problem?

Do you have a copy of the manual for the camera?
yes I know it should be when I look in the viewfinder. Problem? Maybe, if it is not visible at all! Bought from Japan so only I can do is to give a 3* review to the seller
10-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried the LED button, as described on page 23 of the manual? (I just noticed this)
2 Days Ago   #14

Original Poster
Have you tried the LED button, as described on page 23 of the manual? (I just noticed this)
No I haven't. Did you mean to turn LED on and then it could be visible? I can not check it now coz I have no film in it. Will try it.
12 Hours Ago   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The exposure indicator display inside the viewfinder is a LED display. The LED button can turn this on and off, so it is possible it is turned off.