Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
A lot has changed in the coffee scene here as well, hipster coffee has taken over.
Toot-toot! I'm cheered by that!
Deconstructed cofvfe is all the rage here in Hipsterville and Snobsville. AUD$4.00 to AUD$7.00 is probably a bit more expensive than YVR...

10-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You seem to be off to a very good start!

1) Have you tried holding the camera a little higher -- say mid-chest? The closer the screen is to your eyes, the larger it is in your field of vision, and the better you can see the focus. (Of course, if your eyes are like mine, you might need reading glasses.)

2) Proficient shoot-from-the-hip manual focus takes a lot of practice. You can do this without wasting film by: 1) set the lens at infinity, quickly pick a stationary target, quickly focus, and then note the exact distance on the lens and carefully focus to check your work to see how close you got. Rinse & repeat!

3) In some cases, you can prefocus carefully on a stationary object (light pole, sign, manhole cover, etc.) and then trip the shutter just as the moving person or object reaches that plane of focus.

4) Consider making blur a feature -- intentionally focus on some very distant or very close object (the sharpness of that object establishes the fact of focus) and let other moving objects blur enough that it looks intentional.

Have fun!
10-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
You seem to be off to a very good start!

1) Have you tried holding the camera a little higher -- say mid-chest? The closer the screen is to your eyes, the larger it is in your field of vision, and the better you can see the focus. (Of course, if your eyes are like mine, you might need reading glasses.)

2) Proficient shoot-from-the-hip manual focus takes a lot of practice. You can do this without wasting film by: 1) set the lens at infinity, quickly pick a stationary target, quickly focus, and then note the exact distance on the lens and carefully focus to check your work to see how close you got. Rinse & repeat!

3) In some cases, you can prefocus carefully on a stationary object (light pole, sign, manhole cover, etc.) and then trip the shutter just as the moving person or object reaches that plane of focus.

4) Consider making blur a feature -- intentionally focus on some very distant or very close object (the sharpness of that object establishes the fact of focus) and let other moving objects blur enough that it looks intentional.

Have fun!
Right now the camera sits about right at my belly. I can jack it up several inches to see if its easier to confirm focus.

I should be practicing my focus - thats a great tip. The Angry Photographer has a good method which is similar to yours. He quickly focuses just past the object, just before, and then splits the difference and shoots.

I like your fourth suggestion. I can picture in my head neat photos of cityscape elements, like fire hydrants or street signs with blurry people walking all around.

Thanks for the tips!
10-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Angry Photographer, LOL. When I first started to follow him, he actually had some really good advice going out. When he's not putting on the tinfoil hat about magnetism and various aspects of physics, ranting about mirrorless hype or foretelling the imminent death of either Sony or Nikon, he still occasionally talks some sense.

Rather fittingly for this topic, the Pentax 6x7 system is something he still retains fond memories of, even if he doesn't shoot film any more. (I can't imagine what the sensor of a 6x7-D would be like. 150MP, anyone? The pixel shift files on something like that would be a wonder to behold, but they'd make most SD cards wet themselves in fright.)

---------- Post added 07-10-17 at 20:43 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
Toot-toot! I'm cheered by that!
Deconstructed cofvfe is all the rage here in Hipsterville and Snobsville. AUD$4.00 to AUD$7.00 is probably a bit more expensive than YVR...
Served by people whose coffee-pouring got them through degrees which are so useless that they will be pouring coffee till the end of days.

10-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The Angry Photographer, LOL. When I first started to follow him, he actually had some really good advice going out. When he's not putting on the tinfoil hat about magnetism and various aspects of physics, ranting about mirrorless hype or foretelling the imminent death of either Sony or Nikon, he still occasionally talks some sense.

Rather fittingly for this topic, the Pentax 6x7 system is something he still retains fond memories of, even if he doesn't shoot film any more. (I can't imagine what the sensor of a 6x7-D would be like. 150MP, anyone? The pixel shift files on something like that would be a wonder to behold, but they'd make most SD cards wet themselves in fright.)

---------- Post added 07-10-17 at 20:43 ----------

Served by people whose coffee-pouring got them through degrees which are so useless that they will be pouring coffee till the end of days.
Oh yeah, Angry Photographer is an annoying crackpot. A few of his videos are pretty informative - however he just repeats the same information over for 8 minutes. Now I just tune into the videos where he feuds with Tony and Chelsea Northrup, who in my opinion, are the best photography vloggers around. I adore their content.

For information about film photography, of course, I go to the Film Photography Podcast.