Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2017, 04:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
35mm HD

I was wondering if I should get this as an easier travel option than my 28-45. Is this a screw drive AF lens or is it like the 55?

10-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I was wondering if I should get this as an easier travel option than my 28-45. Is this a screw drive AF lens or is it like the 55?
It's a screwdrive lens, as it's based on the film-era FA 35mm. Definitely nice and compact, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think if Pentax wishes for future success they would want to release more new and updated lenses like the DFA35, lightweight, well performing and cheap.

They could easily re-release the FA120, FA45-85 and the FA80-160 in DFA or DA form.

Consumers want “new lenses” not old ones, it’s in the mind.
10-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
I think if Pentax wishes for future success they would want to release more new and updated lenses like the DFA35, lightweight, well performing and cheap.

They could easily re-release the FA120, FA45-85 and the FA80-160 in DFA or DA form.

Consumers want “new lenses” not old ones, it’s in the mind.
I think updated versions of the latter two are roadmapped. Until then it's good that there's at least a pretty large lens selection available new.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-22-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They showed us what "roadmapped" means with the Q macro. You should base your approach to what you actually can find on the Marketplace here and eBay.
10-22-2017, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #6

I wish Pentax would update the 33-55mm as it's the closest in focal length to the humongous 28-45mm.

I have a love/hate relationship with the 28-45mm - I LOVE the quality but HATE the size and weight.
10-22-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think updated versions of the latter two are roadmapped. Until then it's good that there's at least a pretty large lens selection available new.
Thats true, but they are asking big dollars for effectively 20-30 year old designs.

Lets face it, for Pentax to make money they need to sell bodies and lenses. BUT..........anybody looking into affordable crop medium format will look at Fuji's offering and say "well the lenses are new and designed for digital" and are much less in price than the Pentax offerings. People with money want new updated designs, not old lenses made new. Its just how it is. Us here on the forum represent such a small sector of the potential market.

10-23-2017, 04:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Thats true, but they are asking big dollars for effectively 20-30 year old designs.

Lets face it, for Pentax to make money they need to sell bodies and lenses. BUT..........anybody looking into affordable crop medium format will look at Fuji's offering and say "well the lenses are new and designed for digital" and are much less in price than the Pentax offerings. People with money want new updated designs, not old lenses made new. Its just how it is. Us here on the forum represent such a small sector of the potential market.
I own several film era lenses and I didn’t pay big bucks for them. There are some that are legendary with superb optics that demand premiums but typically the older glass is not very expensive and fun to shoot. The optics on many of these less expensive lenses are still excellent even without the modern features. I agree with you somewhat that it would be nice to see them updated with modern coatings and DC and PLM motors. But they are still just tools that will only perform as well as the craftsman that is using them.

Personally I would like to see the entire DA* family updated with new motors. I think the optics are just fine. I also feel that they should drop the SDM motor even if it is just because of all of the past issues. I hear SDM and it makes me think do I really need it and is it worth the risk. I own 2 and have an issue with 1. But cannot deny the quality of the optics.

Last edited by steve_k; 10-23-2017 at 04:25 AM.
10-23-2017, 05:04 AM   #9

SDM kenses

which SDM lens are you having issues with. Ive only heard of problems with the K mount SDM,s. Im worried as I have the 55 & 90mm. I honestly prefer the design,simplicity, reliability and usually speed of the older FA autofocus lenses. Am I the only one?
10-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about an updated 200mm f4 macro? Or a new DA* f4 macro with an FL of between150mm & 200mm?
10-23-2017, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sarnian Quote
I wish Pentax would update the 33-55mm as it's the closest in focal length to the humongous 28-45mm.

I have a love/hate relationship with the 28-45mm - I LOVE the quality but HATE the size and weight.
Me, too. I might even spring for the full retail of such a lens if it was really good, eliminated some of its distortion, and similar in size/weight to the current one. Would love to see the 45 revisited as well.
10-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The reason I was asking about the AF method was that I owned a 75mm for a while and found that it worked differently with liveview than the 28-45 or 55. I forget exactly what it was but I think it was not possible to move the AF point around then zoom in unless it was in autofocus mode then I couldn't manual focus it on that point unless it was in manual focus mode so I was constantly having to switch modes. Maybe someone who own's one of the FA lenses can confirm this. Having the manual focus override even when in AF mode is way preferable.
10-23-2017, 08:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
The reason I was asking about the AF method was that I owned a 75mm for a while and found that it worked differently with liveview than the 28-45 or 55. I forget exactly what it was but I think it was not possible to move the AF point around then zoom in unless it was in autofocus mode then I couldn't manual focus it on that point unless it was in manual focus mode so I was constantly having to switch modes. Maybe someone who own's one of the FA lenses can confirm this. Having the manual focus override even when in AF mode is way preferable.

I found that my copy of the fa75 and dfa 55 behaved the same way when in live view and zoomed into focus. Only major difference is that it is easier to switch between af and mf on the 55 than the 75 because of design, even easier with the fa35. Cant comment on the 28-45.

10-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I own several film era lenses and I didn’t pay big bucks for them. There are some that are legendary with superb optics that demand premiums but typically the older glass is not very expensive and fun to shoot. The optics on many of these less expensive lenses are still excellent even without the modern features. I agree with you somewhat that it would be nice to see them updated with modern coatings and DC and PLM motors. But they are still just tools that will only perform as well as the craftsman that is using them.
Yes you can say that all day long, but that way of thinking does not grow a brand and gain market share, nor does it entice new users with money into the system.

Look at it this way, Fuji released an expensive medium format system with a body the same price as the 645Z. Look at how many wealthy amateurs and pros have jumped in and found the money that they otherwise did not have to spend on any system that came before it.

You bring a compelling offering to the market and the market will dive in head first.

PS. I agree with what you are saying, but as a way forward it won't make Pentax any money.