Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 07:26 AM   #16

I agree that something is incorrectly configured if LR and PS are showing radically different results. The raw conversion engine and DNG profile support embedded within LR and PS / Adobe Camera Raw is in fact the same engine. Overall, the entire point of colour management and profiling is to ensure that all devices and tools reproduce colour according to a consistent baseline standard. You will get somewhat (or even large) differences when comparing devices of different classes, such as a narrow gamut monitor vs. a wide gamut monitor, or a monitor and a printer. But two applications properly configured will render the same image the same way on the same monitor. If they don't, then by definition at least one of the applications is not configured correctly, or at least not consistently with the other application.

My second observation is that just because your monitor is calibrated doesn't mean it's calibrated correctly. Depending on what settings you've chosen you may get varying results. As well, the calibration package may not be working properly. Software can have bugs and the hardware colorimeter can fail. I've seen bad calibration results for monitors produce the kind of thing you describe with strange colour shifts, eventually diagnosed as a faulty colorimeter. It's not the thing I normally suspect as the most likely problem, but if other things don't pan out it would be worth looking at the monitor profile to ensure it's reasonable.

10-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Riccidandonno Quote
I have uploaded the original DNG file.
Yes I agree these are still editable files it`s just annoying to get this overall warm/red tonality. If this was a personal project it could be OK but in commercial photography every image is viewed by a number of professional people everyone with is own specialty but all them very well "trained" at see something wrong. In other words apart from my personal taste, when the photo editor, the retoucher, the printer all complained about my photos because are too hot, then a red flag must go up.
While I was testing different solution yesterday I noticed the following: if I developed the same DNG with the same WB and the same custom profile in Camera Raw or LR I get 2 extremely different results. I always knew that LR and PS don`t render exactly the same colors but the difference here is impressive and the "very red" photos comes from LR while the Camera Raw image is much more neutral.
# POSTNOBILLS: Monitor is calibrated with X-rite Spyder and calibrated images looks fine. As mention above the good thing is that everybody see my images too red so at least I know that the monitor is OK.

DNG FILE: IMGP5573.DNG - Google Drive

---------- Post added 10-30-17 at 01:21 AM ----------

Thanks! I`ll give it try.
Skin tones from the unedited Google Drive uploaded file look fine to me.
10-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by postnobills Quote
Skin tones from the unedited Google Drive uploaded file look fine to me.
Agreed. I usually start with Camera Neutral and adjust from there and it looks great.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 

Last edited by enoeske; 10-30-2017 at 09:57 AM.
10-30-2017, 08:03 PM   #19

I found the same as TonyW, which is odd. My own profiles generated with Lumariver Profile Designer are red-biased on this image as well, as are the Torger DCamProf ones.

Camera Natural is about the best on this image, which is the last thing I'd expect as you usually have very flat, low-contrast images with that one.

Do you have a shot of your ColorChecker under the same lighting conditions and power settings? I'm interested to know what the colour temperature and tint come out to in Lightroom when you white balance off the light grey square below the green one.

10-31-2017, 02:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

From what I can see so far it does appear that the problem is really down to the camera profile itself and I do not believe that it is necessarily something you have done wrong. Rather it could be just the way the X Rite software produces the profile particularly relating to producing ‘pleasing Caucasian skin tones’.

I would suggest that you try another method such as using the free Adobe DNG profile editor it just may give you a better skin tone and of course if not a small tweak or two of the profile before saving will reduce the excess red to your requirements. This is the Windows download page
Adobe - DNG Profile Editor : For Windows

As it appears you are ok with posting your image here thought you may be interested in a 30 second fix for your profile using the DNG profile editor. Taking your original DNG and loading it just a tweak to reduce the red produces the result below. Too much too little your call but the easy fix is available.

Should you wish I can post a link to the revised .dcp profile via Dropbox, just let me know either here or use a pm if interested

Last edited by TonyW; 12-01-2017 at 10:26 AM.
11-09-2017, 03:57 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
From what I can see so far it does appear that the problem is really down to the camera profile itself and I do not believe that it is necessarily something you have done wrong. Rather it could be just the way the X Rite software produces the profile particularly relating to producing ‘pleasing Caucasian skin tones’.

I would suggest that you try another method such as using the free Adobe DNG profile editor it just may give you a better skin tone and of course if not a small tweak or two of the profile before saving will reduce the excess red to your requirements. This is the Windows download page
Adobe - DNG Profile Editor : For Windows

As it appears you are ok with posting your image here thought you may be interested in a 30 second fix for your profile using the DNG profile editor. Taking your original DNG and loading it just a tweak to reduce the red produces the result below. Too much too little your call but the easy fix is available.

Should you wish I can post a link to the revised .dcp profile via Dropbox, just let me know either here or use a pm if interested
Yes I`m definitely interested in your revised .dcp profile. pm is ok. Thank you
11-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes I`m definitely interested in your revised .dcp profile. pm is ok. Thank you
Hi, I have sent a PM where you will find a link to .dcp files in Dropbox. Just download and install to the camera directory in PS and you should be good to go.

There are actually 3 versions (maybe one will be close to your requirements)

Pentax 645Z ReduceRed: The original (I thought lost) I posted here
Pentax 645Z CaucasianLessRed: A quick reduction of the red concentrating on the excess on her ear
Pentax 645Z CaucasianWarm: Reduction of red with a touch of warmth added

All made using the Adobe Profile editor mentioned earlier.

Good luck and let us know if they are workable or terrible

11-22-2017, 01:37 AM   #23

This is what I get with no edits except for tweaking the colour temperature with my default profile.

It really looks like your colour temperature is off with whatever lighting you're using, because I don't need to make anywhere near this kind of adjustment with my strobes.
Attached Images

11-25-2017, 03:52 AM   #24

I would guess there is something wrong in your color management. The image looks pretty nice, like enoeske has shown above. On my iMac/Eizo it looks the same in LR classic CC and PS 2018. It's definitely NOT an issue of camera color profiles. How do raw images look from other cameras? Canon, Nikon.. make a test under identical conditions.

Last edited by Clermond; 11-25-2017 at 04:25 AM.
11-30-2017, 06:31 AM   #25
Veteran Member

It definitely IS a camera profile issue.

IF you read the post again you will see that the OP did not like the results of the profiles embedded and his own as to him they appeared too red. Skin tones and ‘the look’ in particular are largely subjective and what you or I may think acceptable may not be for others.

So as the OP did not like the rendering due to excess red and wanted a certain ‘look’ SOOC the profile IS wrong

Unfortunately he has not returned to say if he has made a better profile to match his requirements
11-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #26

didn't you say that the file looks good in Camera Natural profile?
11-30-2017, 07:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clermond Quote
didn't you say that the file looks good in Camera Natural profile?
Not quite but I did say "Looking at the psd files you posted IMHO none are particularly bad or exhibit anything wrong with the colour". But I would go as far as to say that Camera Natural and Embedded and Adobe Standard all looked good as starting points, but X-Rite generated does seem to add a touch too much red/warmth as seen by others in this thread.

Regardless of what any of us here may think the point is that the OP did not like the default rendering from any profile and gave us a clue what he was looking for SOOC; attached are his files showing the difference in number 1 and 2 vs what he would like presented in and edited version no 3. So his choice IMO is to use a preset and apply on import or make a new camera profile, his choice

Last edited by TonyW; 01-16-2018 at 07:20 AM.
12-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #28

Original Poster
It`s important to notice that is not just my personal opinion or personal taste. These images have so much red that the entire line of professionals I work with are asking me to correct the colors and as I sad before that`s definitely a red flag.
Having sad that I do not know yet what the cause of this problem is, might even be the photographer and not the camera! Overall I would say that the reason is a combination of many elements first of all applying a workflow that has been working for years with a different camera system to this new camera system. Canon raw files too require a fair amount of color adjustment but after 10 years of everyday shooting and post production it became second nature to fix them in few clicks.
Also important to notice is that I shoot a lot of jewelry and clients are super demanding about getting absolute correct colors (adding some yellow to a diamond makes a 100k stone look like a 1k one....but if you add a slightly different kind of yellow it suddenly becomes a "fancy diamond" worth 1Mil ! Needles to say that when I shoot food or landscape there is much more tolerance about colors.
Some of the Color Profiles suggested by other members are making the images look much better and it`s getting easier to find good natural colors.

R.
02-22-2018, 05:18 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
I think I have a problem with the colors I get from my 645z.

Anybody else has problems obtaining natural skin tones with the 645z raw files?? I have read of somebody using CaptureOne with CaptureFix... anybody tried that?
I just would love to find a way to shoot and get neutral natural tones without going crazy!
Thank you
I'll bring this up, hope this helps:

if you shoot 645Z/D with ColorChecker you need to keep in mind that Pentax DNG raws are not the same as Adobe DNG, so you will never get the correct colors out of DNG files this way with ColorChecker.

The workflow should be the following:

1. You need to shoot the ColorChecker in native Pentax RAW format (which is PEF)
2. Open file in Adobe ACR and save it as DNG.
3. Import it in xRite software (do not use Adobe profile creator! colors are off there!) and save the profile.
4. restart Lightroom or PS
you are good to go.
02-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by den2099 Quote
I'll bring this up, hope this helps:

if you shoot 645Z/D with ColorChecker you need to keep in mind that Pentax DNG raws are not the same as Adobe DNG, so you will never get the correct colors out of DNG files this way with ColorChecker.

The workflow should be the following:

1. You need to shoot the ColorChecker in native Pentax RAW format (which is PEF)
2. Open file in Adobe ACR and save it as DNG.
3. Import it in xRite software (do not use Adobe profile creator! colors are off there!) and save the profile.
4. restart Lightroom or PS
you are good to go.
This does not sound correct due to the fact that DNG is purely a specification of a non proprietary raw format which happens to have been written by Adobe. Several camera manufacturers have adopted the format including Pentax, Leica etc.

A DNG file is just a container for the raw data including space for the manufacturers own proprietary stuff if required (note only their software will interpret a correct rendering). So a Pentax or Leica DNG will actually be the raw data that a particular camera records i.e. unadulterated/unprocessed image data.

As with any raw conversion software you can expect different renderings and if the colour is 'off' then this will need to be corrected. To this end using either Adobe DNG profile editor or X-rite software you would expect some differences of rendering as you would in putting the files through any other editor.

Having used both I have not seen the behaviour you describe although I must say I prefer the Adobe DNG profile editor for the capability to tweak the profiles to taste.
Do you have any examples illustrating the difference in the workflow you describe?