Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

645N Top Plate Removal

Can anyone help me with getting the top plate off a 645N?

I have the Service Manual.

I've removed the leatherette coverings and the left and right side plates.

I've removed the nine machine screws (all that I can see that are holding the top plate):

4 associated with the flash shoe
2 on either side of the viewfinder
1 below the Memory button at the top of the battery grip
2 at the front of the top plate on either side of the lens opening

The plate is loose except for the part covering the battery compartment/hand grip. I can't get it to release from that area at all. Is there something else that is still attached (but hidden?). The exploded drawings don't seem to show any other screws or hold downs.

Rich

10-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #2

Original Poster
Solved it!
11-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rich14 Quote
Solved it!
Please share! Was this in order to replace one of the dials? The shutter speed dial seem more susceptible than exposure compensation dial to damage. If you were replacing the shutter speed dial, did you replace the entire assembly? Share tips is you were successful - I have a 645N that need a new shutter speed dial (already have the replacement dial).
11-20-2017, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
No, I was not replacing the shutter speed dial. It turns out I only needed to remove the right side plate (the side of the camera with the hand grip). But I didn't know that until I had completely taken both side plates and top off.

My problem was that the mirror hung. It would complete its travel if "coaxed" with a finger under the front edge. And it fired successfully if the camera was turned upside down!

The problem was dried and crusty lubrication at one pivot point. One tiny drop of mineral oil and the camera is performing normally.

Rich