Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2017, 12:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

645Z 25mm F4 DA AL (IF) AW- filter holder question??

Finally found a used copy of this lens...tried it out on an architecture shoot yesterday....amazing image quality (pics to come).....beautiful build quality.....built-in mini-polariser filter holder is a nice innovation.....the only issue is the integral lens hood, which prohibits the use of grads, and hand-holding one over the front doesn't work either due to the intrusion of side reflections on the filter, as it is not flat to the lens front.....is anyone aware of a filter system holder that fits and works?....eg the 'slip-on' mega-holder for the Nikon 14-24mm Lee filters...??

Last edited by BostonUKshooter; 11-07-2017 at 12:46 AM. Reason: title change
11-04-2017, 04:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As an APS-C/35mm film shooter, I had my hopes up until I clicked the link and found myself in the medium format section. :P

Perhaps you'd better alter your title to 645-DA
11-04-2017, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
As an APS-C/35mm film shooter, I had my hopes up until I clicked the link and found myself in the medium format section. :P

Perhaps you'd better alter your title to 645-DA
Thks !.....will do....Rgds
11-04-2017, 05:03 AM   #4

Aurora Aperture make ND's that are available in 40.5mm so would fit in place of the rear mounted CPL

PowerND – Best ND Filter Family – Aurora Aperture Inc.

Bob

11-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob L Quote
Aurora Aperture make ND's that are available in 40.5mm so would fit in place of the rear mounted CPL

PowerND – Best ND Filter Family – Aurora Aperture Inc.

Bob
Thks!....will take a look.....also seems that Formatt-Hitech make oversized front grads (with a special holder of course!) for superwide 35mm and MF lenses....
11-14-2017, 04:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've got nothing constructive to add about the filter question since i don't use grads, but congrats on finding the 25mm! woo.
11-15-2017, 02:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I've got nothing constructive to add about the filter question since i don't use grads, but congrats on finding the 25mm! woo.
Found the Lucroit filter holder from Formatt-Hitech which works brilliantly on the 25mm F4 DA (custom designed collar to fit the lens) with oversized grads and ND's.....the only drawback is the lack of circular polariser for lenses other than the 25mm F4 DA which has its own inbuilt rear filter holder which I keep for the mini-circular-polariser......Formatt products are not the cheapest on the market either!!!!

11-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BostonUKshooter Quote
Found the Lucroit filter holder from Formatt-Hitech which works brilliantly on the 25mm F4 DA (custom designed collar to fit the lens) with oversized grads and ND's.....the only drawback is the lack of circular polariser for lenses other than the 25mm F4 DA which has its own inbuilt rear filter holder which I keep for the mini-circular-polariser......Formatt products are not the cheapest on the market either!!!!
post a pic of the rig in here.
Also, for DIYers, I recall Hark Lee had posted his DIY solution for the 25/4 too, i believe in the lens reviews section.
11-17-2017, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
post a pic of the rig in here.
Also, for DIYers, I recall Hark Lee had posted his DIY solution for the 25/4 too, i believe in the lens reviews section.
Hi Mike - see pics attached....the collar which fits over the lens front lugs is VERY tight!....rubberised ring inside the collar makes a very close fit , but stops any movement when it's on....the oversized grads and ND's are amazing (but v. expensive!).....the holder comes with movie lighting style wings/barn-doors to minimise side reflections.....Lucroit is Spanish and offer collars for most w/a lenses including the 'exotics' such as Phase One through Formatt Hitech ....no vignetting with these oversize filters.......getting an 82mm collar for my 28-45mm zoom.....the Lee 105mm polariser will also fit that one!....
Attached Images

11-17-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
Pentaxian

very cool, thanks for sharing that