Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 06:30 AM   #16

Original Poster
I'm using the Tether Tools pro controller and a Tether tools USB3 cable...

11-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bumgardnern Quote
I'm using the Tether Tools pro controller and a Tether tools USB3 cable...
What happens when you use a plain vanilla tether cord from another supplier without the pro controller? - just a thought that there may be something amiss there.

I like Tom Marvels solution:
QuoteQuote:
...Recently I've had some success using an EyeFi card in the second SD slot. I shoot RAW into SD #1 & an extra small jpg into SD #2 (EyeFi). The EyeFi is set up to link to the wifi network in the studio so the transfer is very quick to the laptop. Of course I can't really manipulate the image on the laptop other than zoom in but I can check composition & lighting much more closely than on the back of the camera. Plus the clients can see the image in a larger mode. Also all images are stored in the camera with out the possibility of losing an image during the transfer. So far not too bad.
I bought the Pentax Flucard so I could control the camera remotely on iPad and Android Smartphone without having to touch the camera. I cannot claim any extensive knowledge (have not used it that much yet!) other than to say I found it works acceptably using as Tom does the Flucard to shoot smallest JPEG to the Flucard slot SD2 and raw to SD 1.

It may be a solution if for some reason you do not discover the cure for your system
11-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #18

I am new to tethering so please take my comments with that in mind.

I'm using a windows 10 laptop. I just upgraded lightroom, loaded the Pentax tethering software and then downloaded from the pentax website (support) Transmitter 2 update and Tethered capture plug in, (below the firmware updates). After reading this thread last night I was worried about the comment that the images went straight to the PC and were not written to the SD cards. I tested the rig this morning and it writes to both the PC and the SD cards.

Soooooo, my only recommendation is to check and see if you have the latest updates for Transmmiter 2 and Tethered Capture: Software Downloads
11-21-2017, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerd Quote
I use tethering with the 645Z since 2014/2015. Including Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 64-bit and various LR versions / 645Z firmwares.

I only had one problem once. Tethering along with mirror lock (MULP) has produced a camera freeze (with older software). Otherwise, the tethering plugin works absolutely without problems for me.

However, I use an active USB repeater to amplify the signal. Maybe you should try a USB Repeater.
Gerd

I think you hit the nail on the head! I bought a powered USB3 hub that could operate on bus power or external power (thinking I might need to go for external power), and since I added this into the mix, tethering has been rock solid, and that's without needing to use the external power supply. I've tested it on both the laptop and desktop that were previously struggling and it's working perfectly on both of these now.

I guess it's a different chipset in the hub versus the different PCs/laptops I've tried to use the 645Z with that simply works together more harmoniously.

For anyone that wants to try it, it's the super-cheap AmazonBasics 4-port USB3 hub (amazon.com: AmazonBasics 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub with 5V/2.5A power adapter: Computers & Accessories?tag=pentaxforums-20&).

11-21-2017, 04:20 AM   #20

Hello Paulster,

I am happy that it now works fine with you.

My USB Repeater / HUB uses an external power source.

I do not think it's basically the chipset that's causing problems. It is more of an impedance problem. My USB cables for the tethering are all 5m - 10m long. Using shorter cables in the studio makes no sense to me. To my knowledge there is a length specification for USB 3 of max. 5 m. But there are many supposedly good cables that are 3 m long, no longer within the parameters.

But that's not just the fault of the cable. Transmitter and receiver automatically and dynamically match your transmit power and frequency characteristics. Without such tricks, signals of up to 5 GHz could not be transported over cheap cables and plugs.

Battery powered cameras usually do not have such a good transmission power. For some of my cameras, the transmit power gets a bit better with a continuous power supply. The 645Z is not part of my feeling.

Some applications are sensitive to such problems, while other applications simply repeat the transfer.

Greeting Gerd

PS: Please do not cascade if possible USB Repeater / HBS that often leads to new problems.
11-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #21

I do not think it's basically the chipset that's causing problems. It is more of an impedance problem. My USB cables for the tethering are all 5m - 10m long. Using shorter cables in the studio makes no sense to me. To my knowledge there is a length specification for USB 3 of max. 5 m. But there are many supposedly good cables that are 3 m long, no longer within the parameters.

But that's not just the fault of the cable. Transmitter and receiver automatically and dynamically match your transmit power and frequency characteristics. Without such tricks, signals of up to 5 GHz could not be transported over cheap cables and plugs.
That's exactly what I originally thought, but in (inconvenient) testing with 1m and other short cables I found the problem was just as bad as on the long cables.

Regardless of the underlying cause, the USB3 hub seems to resolve the issue, so I'm happy with the final outcome.
11-25-2017, 01:46 AM   #22

I'am chiming in with my issue. I was pretty happy with the DNA Software plugin but it doesn't work with the new LR classic anymore. Camera is detected but time / aperture is not displayed. It seems the developer has stopped working on it. What's the fast and reliable mode for tethered shooting? I need both to be captured: computer and SD card.

Is there a solution for a cable lock?
Many thanks!

edit
I re-installed Image Transfer 2 which I did use only for a test when I purchased the camera in 2015. It's faster than I remembered. Unfortunately it downloads the image twice and I have two identical versions filename.DNG and filename.DNG (1) in the selected folder. What's my mistake?

Last edited by Clermond; 11-25-2017 at 03:23 AM. Reason: reason
11-25-2017, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Clermond Quote
edit
I re-installed Image Transfer 2 which I did use only for a test when I purchased the camera in 2015. It's faster than I remembered. Unfortunately it downloads the image twice and I have two identical versions filename.DNG and filename.DNG (1) in the selected folder. What's my mistake?
I had that once, too. As far as I remember it was the RAW setting in the camera to save both SD cards. Then came over the tethering two RAW files. I do not remember what firmware ...

Please have a look and try it.

Greeting Gerd
11-25-2017, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #24

Lightroom Classic CC with the Pentax tethering plugin and an external USB3 hub is working completely reliably for me now.

Images come straight into Lightroom, but are also left on the camera’s SD card, so that achieves your goal.

Having gone from being totally frustrated with it (before I added the hub), I’m finding it works flawlessly for me now.

I just wish that the Lightroom plugin would be more integrated with the camera and let you adjust shutter/aperture/ISO like Capture One’s tethering, but actually being able to trip the shutter reliably will suffice.
11-26-2017, 07:51 AM   #25

I had that once, too. As far as I remember it was the RAW setting in the camera to save both SD cards. Then came over the tethering two RAW files. I do not remember what firmware ...

Please have a look and try it.

Greeting Gerd
Thanks, Gerd, that did the trick!

---------- Post added 11-26-17 at 08:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
Lightroom Classic CC with the Pentax tethering plugin and an external USB3 hub is working completely reliably for me now..
Many thanks paulster! It works even without the HUB now. Seems that I missed that I needed an update for IT2 shame on me..
12-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #26

Original Poster
So I wanted to update you guys. I have now gotten my 645Z to tether successfully again. I ended up deleting the preferences file for Lightroom. As soon as I deleted the file it began to operate as it should have. So it is once again saving to the card and to the computer.
12-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bumgardnern Quote
So I wanted to update you guys. I have now gotten my 645Z to tether successfully again. I ended up deleting the preferences file for Lightroom. As soon as I deleted the file it began to operate as it should have. So it is once again saving to the card and to the computer.
Great news and a simple cure that non of us thought of
04-27-2019, 05:00 AM   #28

645Z tethering problems

Hi,
as many others on this tread suddenly I cannot shoot tether using Lightroom Classic CC anymore.
The funny thing is that everything still works on my laptop were I didn't`t update LR....on my MacPro, same cable, won't work anymore, frustrating !
Updated camera firmware, download latest Plugin Update...nothing!
I understand there's an option to use LR via IT2 but, besides that I don't have IT2, what's the difference with the Simple Version, and would resolve my problem?
I really appreciate the help, I have a jewelry catalog coming up and I cannot imaging shooting untether and the Laptop is too old and too slow for the job.

Thank you!
09-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Riccidandonno Quote
I understand there's an option to use LR via IT2 but, besides that I don't have IT2, what's the difference with the Simple Version, and would resolve my problem?
I really appreciate the help, I have a jewelry catalog coming up and I cannot imaging shooting untether and the Laptop is too old and too slow for the job.
Did you check the options for your 645Z and still need IT2?
Keep the overview on the increasing tethering options for Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com