Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2017, 01:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How do you tote your Pentax 67 or 645?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, Team,

I'm having an absolute ball with my P67 kit. But I'm wondering about the best way to tote all this gear is!

What strap to you use? I started using a BlackRapid over the shoulder strap but its not a good match. The body is simply too big and fragile to have knocking around my thigh. I need a comfortable neck strap so I can use the waist finder. Any suggestions?

My traditional camera backpack isn't great either. The top compartment is not shaped properly for the asymmetrical P67 body/handle. Here's my kit:
  • P67 with wooden handle
  • A 55mm f/4
  • A 75mm F/4.5
  • A 105mm F/2.4
  • A 150mm or 165mm F/2.8 (one or the other)
  • A 200mm F/4
  • A steel manfrotto tripod
  • Three varieties of viewfinders

But in all likelihood I will never take all of these lenses out at once. Probably no more than three at any given time.

Do you use hard cases with foam cut outs? Seems like an appealing option to keep things very safe from shock as well as avoid the back pain of lugging probably 30 lbs of gear. Or do you use backbacks? Or an option I've not listed? Can you link to some products you appreciate?

Thanks for your help!

11-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Remember the old VCR cameras from the 80s/90s? The kind of camcorder you'd put on your shoulder. I have a nice case for one of those. It turns out to be a really good case for my Pentax 67 gear. I use it for transport of a lot of gear that stays in the car or location. When I get there, I then carry at most two lenses along using a regular hiker's day pack.

I have a long strap for my 67 and it carries at on my hip configured with a waist level finder. I use either a one degree spot meter, a light meter app on my phone or no light meter at all. The last few years I have been shooting my Fuji GSW690III a lot. It is a fixed lens camera and I still get as many photos as I did hauling around a pile of lenses with my other cameras. So I've learned to get by hauling less when I do take my P67 or 500C/M out.
11-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I use one of these Tamrac backpacks. They can only be found on the used market now as Tamrac changed their lineup.
Tamrac 777 Expedition Photo Backpack | eBay
11-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
I use one of these Tamrac backpacks. They can only be found on the used market now as Tamrac changed their lineup.
Tamrac 777 Expedition Photo Backpack | eBay
I use this same backpack, although I don't actually walk around wearing it with all my gear in it. I'd probably have a heart attack. It is, however, excellent for moving between the house and car or between car and hotel room

11-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The kind of camcorder you'd put on your shoulder. I have a nice case for one of those.

Great minds... I've been rolling with a Porta Brace "doctor's bag" designed primarily for camcorders, although it wouldn't be wide enough to handle a P67 with the wooden handle on the port side. One option that might work is the Ortlieb "Soft-shot" I was using previously--you could probably get a three lens kit in it, even with the handle attached, provided that the lenses are on the shorter side (e.g. the 105, 90, etc.) Lenses much longer than the 165/2.8 might make for a challenge, though, while mounted.
11-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, all, and thanks Tuco for telling me about that Fuji. Quit triggering my GAS! How would you compare the Fuji GSW690III to a Mamiya 7?

The Tamrac bags look like a great option, particularly since those old camcorder bags are still pricey! Maybe an estate sale will turn one up soon.
11-14-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For my 645D I usually use a Timbuk2 Snoop Backpack. I usually have to choose between the widest and longest lenses to to fit bacause I need to leave either the 30mm Arsat FE or the A* 300 behind. But for all the regular lengths (A 35, A 200, FA 45-85, FA 80-160) everything plus one of those lenses at the extremems fits.

I just use a wrist strap and shoot from a tripod most of the time.

11-14-2017, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Femto1969 Quote
I'm wondering about the best way to tote all this gear is!

What strap to you use? I need a comfortable neck strap so I can use the waist finder. Any suggestions?

Do you use hard cases with foam cut outs? Or do you use backbacks? Or an option I've not listed? Can you link to some products you appreciate?
I have a 645 and 645N. I use a Pelican hard case with foam cut outs for storage only. Because Pelican cases are air tights, I use a reusable desiccant by Eva-Dry, inside the case. Just as these case can keep your gear dry, they can also seal in moisture.

When I go out to shoot, I will narrow down my choice of lenses and store them in a backpack. Then when I go out shooting, I wear a dorky but super functional khaki photographerʻs vest and use the pockets to store a lens, 120 film, lens pen, cell phone, etc.

For a camera strap, I swear by any detachable wide neoprene strap. They make the medium format gear feel so much lighter.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014054-REG/pro_tec_p700_less_stress_...ne_camera.html

Last edited by Alex645; 11-14-2017 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added link for strap recommendation
11-14-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Femto1969 Quote
...How would you compare the Fuji GSW690III to a Mamiya 7?
I had a Mamiya 7II. The M7II is more of a system of course with an excellent 43mm option. And it has a light meter built in for those not yet comfortable without having one. It's lighter and more compact than the Fuji. But it is also a rather fragile camera. I needed to be extra careful with it compared to my Fuji, Pentax or Hasselblad. And that includes the lenses too. Otherwise it's a good rangefinder. I use the GSW690 now instead because it is 6x9 format. I already have the 6x7 format with the Pentax.
11-14-2017, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the original Pentax Branded Hard Case with two fold out sections in the lid and fitted area for the camera in the large base, solid grey and aluminium
11-14-2017, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #11

I'm the same as Alex645 - Pelicase - it can go onboard with me as hand luggage if I'm flying and stays on the back seat of a car when on the move - the foam cut outs hold the body with wooden handle plus three lenses or two lenses and spotmeter - the mesh inside the lid holds all the filters,leads and accessories...it's built to military spec so not just waterproof but guaranteed to float (within certain weight limits) - like Alex645 I also use silica gel sachets on the inside to trap any moisture/condensation

For hiking I use a Kata Bumblebee backpack- well padded ,adjustable internal compartments with enough room for the body ,two lenses and spotmeter with a tripod strapped to the outside - job done
11-15-2017, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I find that most decent-sized camera shoulder bags or backpacks accommodate my 645 without any problems. A 67 would be a different kettle of fish - one day I'd like to have the opportunity to try it out.
11-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use this Ikan bag if I'm taking my Pentax 6x7 and a few lenses somewhere:

ikan Trekker Lens Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

If it's just the 6x7 body with one regular sized lens, then I just use my smaller Lowepro Nova shoulder bag.

Phil.
11-15-2017, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Camera bags available today are nowhere near well enough designed exclusively for big old analogue systems such as the Pentax 67.
And certainly not a P67 with that wooden handle.
I am using an ancient, expandable LowePro AW-something that that snuggly holds 17kg of everything — and festooned to the outside is a personal locator beacon and Garmin GPS, karabiners and a 1.5L water bottle.

Unless they are tiny, flimsy things, tripods are rarely carried on packs, and certainly not heavy steel tripods. For years I have carried my Manfrotto CF tripod with my left or right hand while walking, doubling it as a walking staff for river/stream crossings.
11-16-2017, 02:29 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I wonder where the best place to find these old, robust, camera bags is? Ones where the foam hasn't turned to dust?