Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TLR woes

Just for back scans from my first 2 rolls of 120 film. Camera is a Yashica-A TLR I bought for fairly cheap and immediately got serviced. Very disappointing. Do I need to take it back to the shop? Not sure what they could do if the lens is all shot to hell. Any thoughts?

11-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yipes!

This looks like the effects of a flipped lens element. Is there a chance someone took apart the lens and reassembled it with one of the elements reversed?
11-16-2017, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
A lot of shooters are going for that look these days... Were you shooting wide open? In any case, I don't think there's anything wrong with your camera, but I am no expert on this model. It was a basic consumer model from the 50s. I found some sample images from that camera, and some resemble what you have here. Yashica-A – Sample-Image.com
11-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Make sure the rear element is fully screwed in. I had that happen once to a recently serviced camera and it caused all kinds of wonky focus issues. But yes, definitely either have it serviced again (locally?) or return it, though I do like the effect and think it could be an awesome portrait camera...

11-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
A lot of shooters are going for that look these days... Were you shooting wide open? In any case, I don't think there's anything wrong with your camera, but I am no expert on this model. It was a basic consumer model from the 50s. I found some sample images from that camera, and some resemble what you have here. Yashica-A – Sample-Image.com
I was using Portra 400 and it was overcast. Pretty sure the shutter speed was set at 1/50 so probably had the aperture at F8 or F11? Almost positive it wasn't at F3.5. Hopefully I didn't just buy an expensive pinhole camera.

Here's a scan with leaves in the foreground and the bridge in the background. Center of frame looks reasonable so I don't think it's a DOF issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Make sure the rear element is fully screwed in. I had that happen once to a recently serviced camera and it caused all kinds of wonky focus issues. But yes, definitely either have it serviced again (locally?) or return it, though I do like the effect and think it could be an awesome portrait camera...
It's a local shop I've used a few times, mostly for Pentax 35mm SLRs. They've all done great work and they warranty for 6 or 12 months, can't remember which. I'll definitely take it in after I pick up the negatives.

Last edited by murrelet; 11-16-2017 at 03:16 PM.
11-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Make sure your taking lens isn't loose.
Make sure your lenses and carriage are running parallel to the film plane.
Check to see if the film plate located attached to the rear lid, isn't messed up, bad springs, crooked, etc...
Good luck
11-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That looks like astigmatism, and the sort of photo one might arrive at using a tilt-shift lens or a lensbaby for special effects.
Other than to admire your accidental handiwork (and suspect a serious fault with the lens of your Yashica), nothing much to do except maybe make comparisons with pinhole photography. And on that note, a pinhole camera is soft and fuzzy (in a positive way) right across the image, not just partially.

11-16-2017, 07:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's definitely not right. I suspect something wrong with your lens. Your Yashica A has triplet lenses made by Tomioka, I have a Toyocaflex TLR that has basically the same lens, and mine never does that, wide open or stopped down.
11-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a reversed lens to me.
11-18-2017, 07:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Wish me luck with my Mamiyaflex c2. First roll in ~30-years (tri-x) came back from lab a month ago completely unexposed (probably) thanks to a sticky shutter. Fixed that Cleaning a Mamiya TLR lens | iamthejeff

Tried to load roll of hp5+ couple of weeks ago, but the film advance in the c2 is very futzy and I'd forgotten the procedure and somehow managed to wind through the roll without engaging the film stop release, at which point I realized I would need to manually re-spool the film and try again (either that or toss it and ten bucks + HST. Noooo!).

Fast forward to today. Luckily I have an old changing bag, which I struggled with figuring out (it has a separate zippered liner the film has to go in else you can't touch it), then I struggled with the orientation of the film (I had wrongly assumed it is stuck to the backing) and after a few tries I got it re-spooled correctly (I think).

Onwards to the film loading: by following this guide Film loading and advancing in Mamiyaflex C2 | Twin Lens Reflex | Flickr I got the stop release to engage at the same time as "1" appeared in the tiny, dim red peephole on the camera back.

Wish me luck...
12-08-2017, 11:14 PM - 6 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wanted to follow-up with good news. I took the Yashica A back to the shop where I originally got it CLA'ed. It was still under warranty and when looking at the negatives, immediately identified the problem as a reversed lens. They fixed it and I had it back within the week. Ran a roll of Portra 400 through it, got it developed, and just got the scans this evening. Now I just need to get used to focusing and composing with the waist level finder and making sure I don't overshoot when I wind the film (like I did that first roll).

12-09-2017, 06:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Wanted to follow-up with good news. I took the Yashica A back to the shop where I originally got it CLA'ed. It was still under warranty and when looking at the negatives, immediately identified the problem as a reversed lens. They fixed it and I had it back within the week. Ran a roll of Portra 400 through it, got it developed, and just got the scans this evening. Now I just need to get used to focusing and composing with the waist level finder and making sure I don't overshoot when I wind the film (like I did that first roll).
Great shot of a pair of wild-looking buildings. What are they?
12-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice when we hear of a good ending to camera woes.
12-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Great shot of a pair of wild-looking buildings. What are they?
Brand new office building. It's being marketed to the creative industry, i.e., hipsters. It is a fun building to photograph. But I do wonder how well the paint job will last over time.
12-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Brand new office building. It's being marketed to the creative industry, i.e., hipsters. It is a fun building to photograph. But I do wonder how well the paint job will last over time.
Another side of Portland (11th Ave., two weeks ago)...