Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #1

fujifilm gf 23mm 645

I see that fujifilm make a gf 23mm for their 645 camera, is there any way of getting this optic onto my Pentax 645z? It could be the perfect wide lens for interiors? I've not been successful looking for an adapter, has anyone any experience of this as a conversion?

11-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JKeffert Quote
I see that fujifilm make a gf 23mm for their 645 camera, is there any way of getting this optic onto my Pentax 645z? It could be the perfect wide lens for interiors? I've not been successful looking for an adapter, has anyone any experience of this as a conversion?
I'm not 100% sure, but it seems it won't be possible because the gfx is a mirrorless camera, and 645z has a large mirror box. I think gfx could use the 645 Pentax glass, but not other way around.
11-19-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Unfortunately its not possible, although it would be great to have that focal length, the closest thing would be either the da or dfa 25mm if you can find it.

11-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sadly Pentax do not think that their camera, which was mainly targeted at landscape photographers, needs a wide angle lens.....................

11-20-2017, 01:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Sadly Pentax do not think that their camera, which was mainly targeted at landscape photographers, needs a wide angle lens.....................
Pentax does make both the Pentax HD DA645 28-45mm f/4.5 ED AW SR (22-36mm FF equivalent) and for nearly half the price the Pentax SMC FA 645 33-55mm f/4.5 AL.

Because those are beyond my budget, I still shoot 645 film with a 35mm prime (20mm FF equivalent).

Yes, it would be nice if there were a wide angle 645 prime wider than the 35mm (28mm FF equivalent) in the near future, but if Ricoh didn't think their cameras aren't for landscape photographers, they wouldn't have offered pixel shift in the K-1. There are options and most 645D or Z photographers that need wider angles often stitch 2-3 verticals.....103-154MP composites!!!

Fujifilm currently offers 6 medium format lenses. Pentax has 16.
11-20-2017, 04:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Keep telling yourself that.

But what about the 645 users that don’t want to step back in time and use film? What about their users that invested in the 645 digital system and really need a UWA lens, but don’t want to carry a K1 just for that task.

Maybe it’s the Pentax apologists that are actually the ones holding the brand back.......
11-20-2017, 09:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But what about the 645 users that don’t want to step back in time and use film? What about their users that invested in the 645 digital system and really need a UWA lens, but don’t want to carry a K1 just for that task.

Maybe it’s the Pentax apologists that are actually the ones holding the brand back.......
Then they buy the Pentax HD DA645 28-45mm for double the price of a K-1.

I am a Pentax realist. I use Pentax for what other brands can't do. If there is a better system for what I need to do for a better price, I use the other system. Yes it would be nice if Pentax was better than every system for less money in every category, but that's not realistic. If I needed and wanted a 23mm, I'd rent or buy the Fujifilm, unless it was more realistic ($) for me to get the same or better results with what I currently use.

If a Pentax loyalist (one that blindly supports and uses Pentax no matter the other options) is a Pentax apologist (which I am not) then I should probably thank everyone of them for being any part of why the brand is still in the photography business.

11-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The reason why the Pentax system is not expanding is because Ricoh has $0 to spend on the 645 system. This is because they built the system on its lure of cheap existing lenses which has meant that they haven’t attracted any users to the brand with money to spend on new lenses, so the cycle began. Add this to the fact that they think users are happy with the lens offering because they are not speaking up,

You don’t make money on camera bodies at this level, it’s made on lenses. They aren’t selling any.

I can’t believe that you think the 28-45 constitutes an ultra wide, that I should have to carry an entire other camera for ultra wide, or that you think that Rico’s business analysts are thinking that the system doesn’t need an ultra wide lens when it’s main target market is landscape.

---------- Post added 11-21-17 at 04:45 AM ----------

This thread is exactly a point, the OP has the $$$ to buy a lens for his shiny 645z, but they don’t have it. Also don’t give me that excuse of “users want a 900mm too” because it doesn’t fly.

Fact remains that if Pentax dropped a highly corrected, lighter 23mm f/5.6 lens that takes filters onto the market tomorrow, a substantial portion of Pentax 645 digital users would find the money to purchase it right away without hesitation. I repeat, they will find the money, just in the same way every new Fujifilm GFX buyer has magically found the money to buy into the GFX system.
11-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason why the Pentax system is not expanding is because Ricoh has $0 to spend on the 645 system.
For the record, Ricoh acquired Pentax on Oct. 1, 2011.

In 2012, Ricoh released the HD Pentax D FA 645 Macro 90mm F2.8 ED AW SR.
In 2014, the HD Pentax-DA645 28-45mm F4.5ED AW SR.
In 2015, the HD Pentax-D FA645 35mm F3.5 AL [IF]

Yes, we'd all like 2-3 new lenses each year, but that would probably run the company into bankruptcy. Since the demise of TLRs and Holga/Diana cameras, medium format is not a consumer level product. Most pros with any skill can get what they need either in the studio with a Hassie or Pentax, or in the field with FF.

As I've posted in the past, buy the lens that fulfills your needs, and then buy the camera that supports that lens. If not having a 23mm UWA is a deal breaker, that's a reason to switch to or add a Fujifilm system to your gear. As cell phones become more ubiquitous as image devices for consumers, I am grateful that we still have viable options with SLRs.
11-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Nice tantrum.
What he said ^ ^ ^
  1. If you don't like the system, don't buy the system
  2. If you buy into a system hoping for what it does not have...we all know a good word for that
  3. If you don't own, but complain about what you don't own not meeting your needs, see point #1 above
  4. If you don't own and post a rant lecturing the maker on not anticipating your need in the hopes that they monitor this forum, the special word from #2 above applies here too
  5. If #4 above is done badly off-topic in the hopes of derailing the thread, no friends are made and the mods have been known to become testy over time

For the OP...Yes, the sad truth is that Pentax does not make an ultra-wide in 645 mount and the Fuji is adaptable. is not adaptable.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-20-2017 at 02:09 PM.
11-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said ^ ^ ^
  1. If you don't like the system, don't buy the system
  2. If you buy into a system hoping for what it does not have...we all know a good word for that
  3. If you don't own, but complain about what you don't own not meeting your needs, see point #1 above
  4. If you don't own and post a rant lecturing the maker on not anticipating your need in the hopes that they monitor this forum, the special word from #2 above applies here too
  5. If #4 above is done badly off-topic in the hopes of derailing the thread, no friends are made and the mods have been known to become testy over time

For the OP...Yes, the sad truth is that Pentax does not make an ultra-wide in 645 mount and the Fuji is adaptable.

Steve
Oh, so Fuji can be adapted to 645z? Interesting, I thought due to the big mirror box lens design would be different compared to mirorrless counterparts with much smaller flange distances.
11-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Oh, so Fuji can be adapted to 645z? Interesting, I thought due to the big mirror box lens design would be different compared to mirorrless counterparts with much smaller flange distances.
Thanks for seeing the typo. I will correct!
11-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for seeing the typo. I will correct!
dreamcrushed
11-20-2017, 04:37 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'm not 100% sure, but it seems it won't be possible because the gfx is a mirrorless camera, and 645z has a large mirror box. I think gfx could use the 645 Pentax glass, but not other way around.
Thank you all for your advice, awscreo nailed it early on with the realisation that the Fuji is a mirrorless camera and the Pentax has a large mirror box, simple from there I guess, shame though as I thought I had an answer for a superwide. I'll keep looking on the market for a 25mm lens but it's still falling a bit short for interiors.

I've had the 645z for a year now and it is brilliant, the latitude is excellent with good shadow detail and highlight rendition. It comes out for car shoots and front covers, just for special.

Thanks everyone for the views and knowledge.