Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2017, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #1

New 645z in 2018?

One of my shop owners in Japan where i order my old lenses has written today, that a new 645z will maybe come in 2018. Nothing more about mirrorless or not.
What do you think, is there something on itīs way? I have thought about to buy a Pentax 645z these days, but i also think about Fuji and Hasselblad.
I have an Phase One and never use it, to heavy, to slow. I dont want to have the "first series" like from Fuji or Hasselbald and take better the next one, when they have learned from the faults done now.
With Pentax i believe they had enough time to learn from D to Z, but i am not shure if i really want another DSLR. All my Canons sleep here, while i use the Sony almost all time using focus peaking and old lenses with a shift adapter.

12-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

written where?
12-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I highly doubt it will be mirrorless, but wouldn't be surprised if they released a successor soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #4

It would be nice to have a successor, but honestly I am really happy with the 645Z. The only things I would change are to have a battery that last longer, and to have brighter live view (the newest firmware update helped to some extent), and despite the fact that I don't use AF much it would be nice to have a wider af area.

12-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #5

You know, I actually think the battery life is great! I'd like more AF points or an implementation of Hassy's TruFocus where the camera uses the accelerometer to correct the focus after you recompose based on the focus distance and the angle by which you've moved it. That would make AF a winner for me since I like the central point anyway. Then, of course, I'd like them to use the upcoming 150MP BSI sensor from Sony rather than the current 100MP FSI one that Phase and Hassy use. Hopefully they won't go with the 100MP crop sensor.
12-06-2017, 05:30 AM - 6 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Need......more.......new.........quality.......lenses........first.
12-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by paulster Quote
You know, I actually think the battery life is great! I'd like more AF points or an implementation of Hassy's TruFocus where the camera uses the accelerometer to correct the focus after you recompose based on the focus distance and the angle by which you've moved it. That would make AF a winner for me since I like the central point anyway. Then, of course, I'd like them to use the upcoming 150MP BSI sensor from Sony rather than the current 100MP FSI one that Phase and Hassy use. Hopefully they won't go with the 100MP crop sensor.
It always amazes me how everyones needs are slightly different. I am a product photographer and my camera is always locked down on a stand or tripod. When I use AF it is typically when I am photographing down at hands and the camera is above head. So it would be perfect to have more AF points.

I agree that a new BSI sensor would be amazing. I have been really impressed with the sensor in the new Nikon D850 and would love to see that tech put into a medium format sensor.

I can completely agree with more lenses. As much as I love the 120mm Macro I would really like to see a revamped 120mm Macro with a modern AF motor.

12-07-2017, 12:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Maybe, maybe not. Out of all the Dslr companys still releasing Dslr's, Pentax is pretty much the most tight-lipped/cards held close-to-the-vest company out of all of 'em A.K.A. we won't know what's being R&D/in production/getting released when until they say it.
12-07-2017, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the OP should send me his unloved Phase One.........
12-12-2017, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

645z update? There is not a new 44x33mm sensor from Sony, except for the to-be-very-expansive 100MP one. Without a new affordable sensor, I don't see how 645z in the current form factor can be updated.

Pentax goes mirrorless? That will be very nice. However, given how slow they have been in the past few years in introducing new DSLR cameras or lenses, I can hardly believe they will produce a mirrorless medium format camera all a sudden.

I really want to see new things coming out from Pentax, but I don't have high hope.
12-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

645Z update. Sounds good. Current model will down even further in price��
12-20-2017, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

With competitors releasing cameras in the 5k price range, perhaps Pentax could deliver something new once again by making an entry-level medium format body/line. Really stripped down stuff for those who want the image quality without all the tech.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-22-2017, 04:14 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
Fuji and Hassleblad have stirred up some interest in MF. Pentax could take advantage of that by bringing a 3rd generation 645 to market. I don't think a larger senser is needed just great AF faster framerate etc and lower price point would be enough. A more versatile, faster body and an updated standard zoom (OS) to go with it could be very attractive to many. Maybe it could be made lighter?
12-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With competitors releasing cameras in the 5k price range, perhaps Pentax could deliver something new once again by making an entry-level medium format body/line. Really stripped down stuff for those who want the image quality without all the tech.
So basically they should release the 645z. It has no tech compared to the competition.
12-22-2017, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
So basically they should release the 645z. It has no tech compared to the competition.
They could certainly keep it around alongside whatever comes next. The pictures it takes are still going to be great

Adam