Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2018, 08:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asahijock Quote
Thanks Alex. Good news that you did it at 800, but your shots with 2x look pretty good to me.

I nearly added in my post that I have the luxury of Ilford D3200 wheregrain is hardly a problem with 645 format unless the enlargement is way beyond what I'd ever need to do. However you are the second person to recommend XP2+ at 1600.

Do you develop the XP2+ yourself and if so or if not what do you or the lab do about development time?
Please note that I am not the OP nor the person that posted the examples. I just saw that the examples were shot at 800 ISO and therefore came to the conclusion that Portra 800 would be a workable solution.

In general all 1.4x TCs are going to have better IQ than 2x TCs. But in @bulldrinkwater's examples, I think the 2x look completely acceptable.

Ilford XP2+ is a monochromatic chromogenic film. In other words, it's really a color film that has dyes created during development unlike traditional B&W emulsions. Without getting technical, it is processed in C-41 color chemistry and can be rated anywhere from 50 EI for finest grain to 800 EI WITHOUT the need (nor recommendation) to push or pull process. Overall, 400 ISO is the default, but I usually shoot it at 200 for finer grain.

You can buy a C-41 processing kit to DIY, but I send mine out. If I want to DIY, I prefer traditional B&W chems that are less temperature sensitive.

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/1908/product_id/704...lford_brochure

01-08-2018, 10:46 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've got nothing to add to the OP's question, however, in the interest of curating data points on TC use...

I have 2 67 teleconverters, the 1.4x and 2.0x that I use with the 67 M*300/4 adapted to the 645Z.
Either converter with this rig offers better IQ than cropping the image to achieve equivalent FoV. What's more, when extreme cropping is needed, I have found stacking both TC's together still wins in that comparison. I have concluded they are both very high quality devices and the crop factor permits the best of the glass to be utilized by the 645Z.

Here is an example of both TCs stacked together, not bad at all:

Shangri-La Revealed
645Z + 67 M*300/4 + 67 1.4x TC + 67 2.0x TC

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-09-2018 at 12:08 AM.
01-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The exif indicated it was shot at 800 ISO. So Kodak Portra 800 would be your best bet with color, and I'd probably go with Ilford XP2+ at EI 1600 with monochrome.

IMO the first three shots with the single TC looks acceptable, but the double stacked TCs looks flat; loss of contrast and color.

I guess my eye is not as critical as yours. I pp with picasa mostly which gives a little latitude with color and contrast.

---------- Post added 01-10-18 at 07:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
I've got nothing to add to the OP's question, however, in the interest of curating data points on TC use...

I have 2 67 teleconverters, the 1.4x and 2.0x that I use with the 67 M*300/4 adapted to the 645Z.
Either converter with this rig offers better IQ than cropping the image to achieve equivalent FoV. What's more, when extreme cropping is needed, I have found stacking both TC's together still wins in that comparison. I have concluded they are both very high quality devices and the crop factor permits the best of the glass to be utilized by the 645Z.

Shangri-La Revealed

it's nice to find a fellow tc user and stacker. on a whim I've stacked 2 2.0x and 1 1.4x together. the results were not great but better than no shot. with my hobby's it's been about trying new [ to me] things. "they" say that tc's magnify defects, but when you use primo lenses and tc's , there should be no defects.

---------- Post added 01-10-18 at 07:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote

Shangri-La Revealed

it's nice to find a fellow tc user and stacker. on a whim I stacked 2 2.0x and 1 1.4x tc's together, the results were not great but ok to me. "they" are always saying that tc's magnify defects. if you are using primi lenses and tc's, there should be no defects to magnify. I say if it comes to mind, give it a try.
01-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #19

Thanks Alex645. I should have noted that you were not the OP to whom I had addressed my questions and secondly I had inferred wrongly that when you said you'd probably use XP2+ at 1600 this was a suggestion rather than something you had done personally.

asahijock