Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

DIfferences Between the Different 6x7 Folding Focusing Hoods

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty close to having a decent set up on 6x7, but there's one thing that keeps alluding me. I can't seem to find any reliable information on the differences between the different Folding Focusing Hoods. I'll most likely either be getting a Pentax 6x7 or a Pentax 67 (most likely the latter). I'd like the get the best one necessary, but I don't know if there is actually a difference between them other than cosmetically.

I read through these already and couldn't really find any info that answered my questions:
PENTAX 67 Folding Focusing Hood reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
PENTAX 6x7 Folding Focusing Hood reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
PENTAX 67II Folding Focusing Hood reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Are they universal fit? As in, any hood will fit any 6x7 model? Is there a difference in quality between them?

I'm also having a really hard time finding one for sale. I've checked ebay and they all seem to be the earliest model and haven't found one that is overpriced. I imagine this is a supply/demand problem. Besides ebay, haven't been able to find them for sale anywhere. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

01-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
According to the Pentax 67 II manual the three folding hoods you mention will fit any Pentax 67 camera.

The only ones that are not interchangeable with the Pentax 67 II are the metered prisms.

Regards

Chris
01-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Pentax 67 camera (1989 vintage) and the Pentax 67 folding hood — cosmetically, they are a perfect match and I would say having seen both the old and the new, the newer model is more fined in its appearance but not all that different in elemental function. The Pentax 6x7 / Pentax Honeywell hood would date from around 1969 and would be both the oldest and possibly the cheapest, coming out around the same time as the original Pentax 6x7 camera. I agree they can be hard to find, and even worse, getting a specimen that has not suffered from years of abuse or is fungus infected. Japanese sellers tend to have the highest asking price, and not without speculation that they are gouging.

I am not aware that the old 6x7 folding hood could not be used on the newer Pentax 67 camera, or conversely, a Pentax 67 folding hood on an early Pentax 6x7 / Asahi Pentax body. Other than the old and the new of whichever looking slightly out of [cosmetic] whack with the other!

The Pentax 67II focusing hood is not interchangeable with either the Pentax 67 or Pentax 6x7 cameras.
01-03-2018, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
DIfferences Between the Different 6x7 Folding Focusing Hoods
The three folding hoods are 100% identical except for the name on the front. Pentax just changed their name and font over the years, so all the accessories changed as well. (Lens caps are a good example)

The same goes for the chimney hood and the non-metered prism. You can use any version on any Pentax 6x7 body including the 67ii.

The only thing not universal is the 6x7, 67 TTL metered prism cannot be used on the 67ii and the 67ii AE metered prism cannot be used on the 6x7 or 67 bodies.

KEH is a good place for finding the folding hoods, however getting an older 6x7 version and using it on a 67ii may look a bit funny as mentioned above.

Phil.

01-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for all of your help! I went ahead and ordered one of the older ones this morning. Found a decent deal and should be getting it in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to using it. Thanks again!
01-09-2018, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

67 and 6x7 are two different generations of the camera. The difference is cosmetic when it comes to the folding hood. And for lenses, a few did get new optical formulas but most only had cosmetic housing changes.

01-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
Forum Member

tuco, that is a beautiful shot of the two cameras! Both look fantastic, though I have a soft spot for the Asahi Pentax logo.

01-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
tuco, that is a beautiful shot of the two cameras! Both look fantastic, though I have a soft spot for the Asahi Pentax logo.
Thanks. I've owned the 6x7 version since new in about 1988 I think. It is a little rougher than it looks all prettied up after the picture. The 67 was later purchased used in excellent condition.
01-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I have a 67II and an old Ashi Pentax folding hood. works just fine in case anyone gets a 67II and isn't sure.