Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Mother Lode 6x7 system

Just saw this online, man they should put all of it in a museum. Pristine copies of everything.
I have nothing to do with it, just thought it was an awesome thing to look at all of the photos being a 6x7 fan.

PENTAX 67 Asahi 6X7 - MINT Medium Format *HUGE* BUNDLE UNREAL!!! OBO!! - photo/video - by owner - electronics sale

01-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos of (actually brand new) camera look like taken from Pentax catalogue Amazing bundle!
01-05-2018, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, I've got some of those...cool shot.
01-05-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Photos of (actually brand new) camera look like taken from Pentax catalogue Amazing bundle!
I asked the seller, and they took the photos themselves. They are a Pro Photographer and took the time and did a great job for sure. I told them to sell it to Pentax, and have it all put in a Pentax museum. I bet Pentax doesn't have ALL that gear in pristine brand new condition stashed somewhere.

01-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
Just saw this online, man they should put all of it in a museum. Pristine copies of everything.
I have nothing to do with it, just thought it was an awesome thing to look at all of the photos being a 6x7 fan.

PENTAX 67 Asahi 6X7 - MINT Medium Format *HUGE* BUNDLE UNREAL!!! OBO!! - photo/video - by owner - electronics sale
If I only had the money. In other words:
Attached Images

01-06-2018, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
I asked the seller, and they took the photos themselves. They are a Pro Photographer and took the time and did a great job for sure. I told them to sell it to Pentax, and have it all put in a Pentax museum. I bet Pentax doesn't have ALL that gear in pristine brand new condition stashed somewhere.
Never used? So did they buy it just to collect or were they hoping it would appreciate in value? It reminds me of someone that bought a couple of Buicks in 1987, drove them for less than 1000 miles, and put them in storage for 30 years.

Brand New 1987 Buick Grand Nationals Found!
01-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But does it have mirror lock up?

01-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
But does it have mirror lock up?
It does not appear to from the picture. If I could justify the expense I would try to buy it anyway
01-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Nice. But it may not be as good as it looks. This 1969-era kit is now a very old camera and their vulnerability to age- and latency-related failures is widespread. This will also catch up with the newer Pentax 67 bodies eventually (but they had several engineering improvements over the early 6x7 cameras).

Rather than set down on the desk as glorified paperweights, these cameras need to be worked frequently, not necessarily brutally, because of the vulnerability of the mirror solenoid and shutter mechanisms to latency; the mechanism is archaic, albeit effective. Once this happens, you have a lazy ("sticky") solenoid and potentially inaccurate shutter speeds. This kit would be 49 years old this year and perhaps rarely, if ever used -- when was the last time the camera and the lenses, each one of them, was given a thorough workout? And if this new system is so good, why ditch it?

The lenses are old and average Takumars. The better (SMC Pentax 67) versions came out in 1989-1990.

MLU is sought after in both the 6x7 and 67 cameras as used correctly it separates the mirror whack from the shutter inertia. But if you are only ever going to handhold a 6x7 / 67 then MLU isn't much use.
01-07-2018, 06:05 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Silent Street,

This is good advice. Thanks for contributing it. Are you suggesting that it is unwise to purchase 6x7 equipment if you cannot be certain it has been used and maintained carefully?
01-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can almost equal that lot, but without the close-up stuff, the non-metered prism, and the rigid magnifying hood

The leatherette (or whatever it is) of my lens cases of that age have tended to crack like crazy paving. I recently went through them all with a gentle application of back shoe polish and it makes them look better, although I don't know if it does them any good.

I think he is making a mistake selling it as one lot; it is unlikely that anyone would want exactly everything you are selling, so they will only offer the value of the sub-set that they actually want - unless they are a dealer and will offer a low price anyway.
01-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Are you suggesting that it is unwise to purchase 6x7 equipment if you cannot be certain it has been used and maintained carefully?
There is a difference between being left dormant, used, and abused. Moderation is the best for both mechanical and electronic parts, and most importantly that it has been used and maintained recently. If it is old, and hasn't been CLA'd, you should assume that will be a cost you need to put into buying used cameras....unless you get it from someplace like keh.com that rates it and includes a 180 day warranty. A CLA may be the difference between an "excellent" rating and "excellent plus" or "like new".

Lenses are a bit different. Fortunately here, AF or OS is not a complication. But mold and fungus love dark and humidity. If the lenses were never taken out of the boxes (never used), then they really should not have any fungus/haze. I use an airtight Pelican case, but if I put a cold lens into a warm case, it can condense in the sealed case, so I always use a rechargeable desiccant and make sure it is not saturated with moisture.

amazon.com - New and Improved Eva-dry E-333 Renewable Mini Dehumidifier - Dehumidifiers?tag=pentaxforums-20&
01-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, thanks for the response. I was concerned that there was a special risk with the 6x7. It sounds like you are just asking people to use common sense when purchasing old equipment. That is always a good idea.
01-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Silent Street,

This is good advice. Thanks for contributing it. Are you suggesting that it is unwise to purchase 6x7 equipment if you cannot be certain it has been used and maintained carefully?
Along those lines, yes. My suggestion to prospective purchasers of the early Pentax 6x7 is to inspect the camera in person, not accept all verbal statements as true and correct and get as much information as you can about the camera's history, including but not limited to likely heavy professional use which takes the greatest toll. But unskilled amateur use, particularly not being fully across with using care when removing/replacing the prism so as not to impart avoidable stress on the coupling chain, and leaving the shutter speed dial on any speed other than B or X when the camera is not in use... little things like this can avoid big problems over the life of the camera, but these little things are what most frequently trip first-time users up and potentially, very really, comprise the operational integrity of the camera.

I would not be purchasing an replacement Pentax 67 (newer model) when my current faithful workhorse calls it quits. Both cameras are now quite old but the point of my post was the Pentax 6x7, at 49 years old, is a big risk for people unfamiliar with the camera, its unknown history and propensity to develop faults and failings due either to long-term service and/or age-related decay. The headline screams NEVER BEEN USED!!!!, and that, too me, is the biggest red flag ever. An unused camera of such vintage is commonly more likely to fail simply because it has not been used as intended!

As always, the caveat is Buyer Beware.

Last edited by Silent Street; 01-07-2018 at 06:54 PM.
01-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
not being fully across with ...... leaving the shutter speed dial on any speed other than B or X when the camera is not in use... little things like this can avoid big problems over the life of the camera
I have never heard of that advice, can you explain? I am not sure if you mean we should leave it on B or X, or should not; and why is that?