Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by optikus Quote
last week I got a non-EDIF 300mm f4 in near mint condition for a minimal invest,
There is a reason why the old 300 is cheap--- No tripod mount, some tertiary spectrum seen wide open, contrast is only fair, very susceptible to shutter vib when used on the 67.

01-23-2018, 12:16 AM   #17

Original Poster
Hello Desertscape,

the mess with the missing tripod mount is the dominating problem I think, also as it intensifies the vibrations if you have the lens attached to the 67 without a point to stabilize the setup nearer to the front... - as I wrote I use it with a EOS 1Ds MkII - how the hell use the tripod mount of the adapter???

With a better hood contrast now is ok as I found, I'll try it with a polarizer the next days if the weather will be better as should be as the told in the tv. A rear filter would have been nice also with such a voluminous lens, but we have none.

The lens itself mechanically as Pentax produced it is very fine, the parallel developments of Pentacon and Zeiss Jena for the SIX are archaic in comparison with it. And even heavier, but with tripod mounts. The problems with contrast when the szene is not lighted exaktly from behind with the delivered hoods of the Pentacon 4.0/300 and the Sonnar 4.0/300 are the same, therefore I had the Heliopan-hood which is showed on the foto.

Concerning fringing - will test it stoppend down 1 or 1.5 stops next days at the night sky ...

Kind regards
Joerg
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A510F  Photo 

Last edited by optikus; 01-23-2018 at 07:53 AM.
01-28-2020, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
Good evening,

more than one year passed by until I found what I looked for - a solution für a rigid mounting of the lens. Have a look to the fount solution using a ASI astronomy camera mounting ring. It works properly with an arca adapter on the tripods ball head. The Ring uses the P67-EOS-adapter on a diameter of 86mm. The ring bought at teleskop express webshop was manually manipulated to handle the release-knob of the P67 mount and the foam insinde was removed. The shade was a smaller one from Heliopan, inside covered with ultra black color by airbrush. Stray light sensitivity is reduced as I expected and the mech. dimensions are better to handle. The lens is large enough. Works with GFX50R via adapter as well. The camera attached here is "M" from Canon. All Adapters from K&F Concept or similar work as well, K-Mount, 645, GFX, EOS...

Jörg
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LM-X420  Photo 

Last edited by optikus; 01-28-2020 at 02:52 PM.
01-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I think you will find that the conventional glass lenses to be murder on digital sensors, especially the 300mm. I've used the 300 Takumar for 6x7 astrophotography with good results at f/5.6

The 400 Takumar actually performs better than the 300, which is a bit odd considering that they share the same glass technology. All things being equal, larger lenses have more spectrum aberrations.

With 6x7, the 300 is adequately sharp, but just barely so. I've pulled off some good work with it.

04-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by optikus Quote
Good evening all together,

last week I got a non-EDIF 300mm f4 in near mint condition for a minimal invest, so I thought it would be useful to test the adapter P67-EOS. The first tests with my EOS 1DS MkII were disappointing with low contrast. With my vintage lenses from Pentacon or Zeiss Jena often the too short lens hood causes those problems. So I tried to adapt a longer Heliopan hood:

{Inserting pictures via Flickr works }

This evening I tested a second time near the Loreley rock - now the images are easy to focus (with the split screen) and the colours are ok, sharpness was no problem neither with the short built-in hood nor with the Heliopan hood. The handling is ok with the camera attached, but a solution for the tripod is difficult. Mounting with the camera screw is nonsense, and the screw at the adapter is not much better. Focusing to infinity works properly.

Kind regards
Joerg
Good evening,

With great interest I read your message regarding the use of your Pentax 67 300mm ED on your Canon Eos. May I ask which brand of your adapter is. The fact is that I have an adapter and my lens cannot focus on infinity. I also have a Pentax 67 with a whole range of lenses, including the 300mm ED-IF and also the 400mm ED-IF. I would like to use it to photograph stars and nebulae with my Canon 5DII.
Kind regards
Ken