Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Help: Dry fired my new 67ii and now it won't advance

Hello all,

I just got a Pentax 67ii, loaded up the batteries, and fired the shutter without any film loaded. The shutter fired (ISO was already set to 160 and shutter speed was on Auto), but I couldn't advance it, and a day later, still can't. I've been able to open the back, take lenses off and put them back on, and still the advance won't really budge.

I want to load film and start shooting, but the film advance lever won't move so I can't. The battery is new and the meter and other functions seem responsive, and the camera is basically in mint condition. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help, in advance.

Attached Images

01-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi...

I don't have this camera so can't help directly. However, have you followed the instructions in the manual for dry firing?

This thread may be of some assistance:

Pentax 6x7 film advance not working - PentaxForums.com
01-06-2018, 01:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi...

I don't have this camera so can't help directly. However, have you followed the instructions in the manual for dry firing?

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I didn't follow the manual or use the special key, I just simply pressed the shutter button when the camera was on and there was no film loaded, just to test the shutter. It fired correctly, but now I can't seem to advance it.
01-06-2018, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears that the 67 is designed this way. You have to trick it into thinking it has film. Open the back, move the shot counter by hand to 1 or 2 shots. close the back and it seems it will then fire. I do not have one but I have been looking into it and this is what I remember. There are several Youtube videos which explain it.

01-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
It appears that the 67 is designed this way. You have to trick it into thinking it has film. Open the back, move the shot counter by hand to 1 or 2 shots. close the back and it seems it will then fire. I do not have one but I have been looking into it and this is what I remember. There are several Youtube videos which explain it.
Interesting. Does this work on the 67ii? The film counter is a digital readout on the LCD display - can I manually adjust anything?
01-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax 67 II can be dry fired without needing the special key that the 6x7 and 67 cameras needed.

Try taking the prism off and the lens off, then refit the prism and lens in that order. I seem to recall come mention of this in the manual.

By the way you can download the Pentax 67 II manual from the Pentax website.

Regards

Chris
01-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's a link for the manual: Pentax 6X7 II instruction manual, Pentax 6x7 prism finder, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

01-06-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Better version of the manual is here:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/67II.pdf
01-06-2018, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi...

This procedure applies only to the Pentax 6x7 and later Pentax 67 cameras. It is not applicable to the 67II.

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2018 at 05:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TrevorB Quote
Hello all,

I just got a Pentax 67ii, loaded up the batteries, and fired the shutter without any film loaded. The shutter fired (ISO was already set to 160 and shutter speed was on Auto), but I couldn't advance it, and a day later, still can't. I've been able to open the back, take lenses off and put them back on, and still the advance won't really budge.

I want to load film and start shooting, but the film advance lever won't move so I can't. The battery is new and the meter and other functions seem responsive, and the camera is basically in mint condition. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help, in advance.

I suggest that you load film in, advance the film to the first frame and start from there, not with the back open, no film loaded and dry-firing. I am at a loss to find an explanation for you to start firing the camera without any film in it.
01-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TrevorB Quote
Help: Dry fired my new 67ii and now it won't advance
Welcome to the forum! Did you read page 30 in the 67ii manual for the special instruction on dry firing?

Also note the 67ii is totally different from the older 6x7 & 67, so you must read the manual front to back before doing any testing. This is an advanced camera with many features not found on the other Pentax 6x7 bodies. I would also not recommend dry firing any 6x7 body, including the 67ii, they are meant to be tested with film loaded. This is the only way to really see whats going on.

Phil.