Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

645Z Spare battery recommendations

Seems my spare batteries have gone walkabout so I need to get a couple of replacements. Cannot remember the manufacturer of the spares but they were not Pentax - maybe DST?

Anyway any specific manufacturers to look out for or avoid?

01-08-2018, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are lots, but you get what you pay for. Hard to go wrong with the OEM Pentax batteries IMO, especially with the 645Z

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-08-2018, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m sorry for saying it like this but you bought yourself a 5000$ camera and want to save money on the batteries? Just buy the OEM Pentax batteries. They are so much better. Last night I took 130 thirty second exposures with my K-1 at -5C and the (OEM) battery didn’t die on me. That is quality.
01-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hard to go wrong with the OEM Pentax batteries IMO
They are cheaper than the batteries for hasselblad and phase one cameras.

01-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There are lots, but you get what you pay for. Hard to go wrong with the OEM Pentax batteries IMO, especially with the 645Z
I know this is good info and its the lots to choose from that can lead us down a wrong path. I know with other marques that counterfeit and really bad batteries exist along with others that are at least equal to OEM
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
Im sorry for saying it like this but you bought yourself a 5000$ camera and want to save money on the batteries? Just buy the OEM Pentax batteries. They are so much better. Last night I took 130 thirty second exposures with my K-1 at -5C and the (OEM) battery didnt die on me. That is quality.
Nothing to be sorry about. Your thinking is sound to me as is your sentiment re. buying a relatively expensive camera and cheaping out on batteries for a couple of bucks saving.
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
They are cheaper than the batteries for hasselblad and phase one cameras.
I would like to have considered either at the time I made the decision to jump to MF, but just could not justify the additional expense. When I posted my interest (elsewhere) in buying a 645z I was given a raft of opinion, some positive and some seeing no benefit from my D800E or the Sony offerings and I even had a pm from a distributor suggesting I would be better of with a used MF (still more expensive than Pentax!). I confess I would probably have still asked the same battery question with Hassy or P1

Thanks guys,
I know that it is good sound advice to stick with OEM and although it may be perceived that I am being a cheapskate (definitely fair comment ) in this case it is not so much the financial saving (which is probably paltry compared to lifetime v cost) but one of enhanced usage. For instance I believe the Pentax OEM are rated 1860 mAh but some third party maybe up to 2800 mAh - this could be useful. I am also aware of counterfeit batteries that look very convincing.

Perhaps it would be just better/safer bet to get a couple of OEM in place of a single 2800 mAh as long as I can confirm they are what they say they are
01-09-2018, 05:21 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
For instance I believe the Pentax OEM are rated 1860 mAh but some third party maybe up to 2800 mAh
Don’t just judge batteries by their supposed mAh. Some companies rate their batteries much higher than what they actually offer to make you buy them (especially the very cheap ones). And the quality of the battery also makes a huge difference in degradation over time.

Think of it as buying a gas tank for your car. You buy a cheap one with a capacity of say 50 liters because you want to save some money and at the same time being able to drive further without refilling. Sounds great doesn’t it? But a year or two later you find out that you can now only fit 30 liters of gas in there because it shrunk. Whereas if you had bought the more expensive OEM one with a lower capacity of 40 liters but better quality you could still fill 40 liters of gas in there two years later.

Last edited by alpheios; 01-09-2018 at 05:41 AM.
01-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
I know this is good info and its the lots to choose from that can lead us down a wrong path. I know with other marques that counterfeit and really bad batteries exist along with others that are at least equal to OEM
I haven't heard of any reports suggesting that third-party batteries offer the same durability and longevity. If they did, it wouldn't make sense for them to be cheaper.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #8

I always thought the Pentax batteries were very competitively priced, and perform exceptionally well in the 645Z, so I've never even been tempted to look for alternative solutions.
01-09-2018, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I haven't heard of any reports suggesting that third-party batteries offer the same durability and longevity. If they did, it wouldn't make sense for them to be cheaper.
All I can refer to is my Nikon experience with third party batteries and recommendations from experienced users for the same. Using several different manufacturers indicated equal durablility and life in fact one OEM failed before third party used and charged about the same in rotation - still this does not make it fact that one worse or better than another. You hear story of failures with even recommended makes and even failures and factory recall for OEM!

But that was Nikon experience and I did not want to make a call that this would necessarily apply to another camera manufacturer hence my question here