Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 645D, First attempted use

I was considering selling my 645D, but as I pick it up again, I'm wondering - should I keep it?? I bought it on eBay about 4 years ago and developed health problems and never used it even once.

However, I now have a challenge taking an image with it. I formatted two cards in it and set the date and time. However, when following the instructions in the manual that says look through the viewfinder and take a photo, I look through the viewfinder and see nothing except the lens info along the bottom and the F aspect of the lens (F4) is blinking - Neither do I see an image on the display screen. I'm guessing I need to press some other button or adjust something - not sure what to do. My local camera shop is no help as they said they have never even seen one of these cameras - Shame...

When I power the camera on, I see the info on the top of the camera, with the F4 blinking as well. The display of the camera shows M in the top left and the lens info and the jpeg setting, etc. If the M means "manual" I'd also like to use the AF feature vs Manual the first time around.l

01-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not too familar with that camera but perhaps I can help a bit.

Typically a flashing 'F ' means that the lens being used is not in the 'A' position, or does not have an 'A' position. That is true of most Pentax DSLRs but not sure on the 645D.

What lens are you using?

Also, to eliminate the obvious: have you removed the lens cap?
01-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I would take the lens off and check the mirror- is it down? If not, try cycling the shutter.

The 645D has no live view so you can't see the image on the LCD screen.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-09-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm not too familar with that camera but perhaps I can help a bit.

Typically a flashing 'F ' means that the lens being used is not in the 'A' position, or does not have an 'A' position. That is true of most Pentax DSLRs but not sure on the 645D.

What lens are you using?

Also, to eliminate the obvious: have you removed the lens cap?
Thank you - In doing additional research on line, I found that, in agreement with your suspicions, it was my lens! In had a 135mm LS lens on it and that changes everything. Once I put my other lenses on it, everything worked perfectly. My only issue is that my 80-160 zoom FA lens does not seem to focus correctly. Is there any way to select "manual" and try focusing with that lens manually?

01-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uswrdm02 Quote
My only issue is that my 80-160 zoom FA lens does not seem to focus correctly. Is there any way to select "manual" and try focusing with that lens manually?
Short answer is 'yes'. In some cases there is a switch on the lens itself, in other cases there is a switch on the camera. Not being familiar with the camera I cannot help more than that. Look for a switch or lever marked 'MF / AF' or something similar.

Hopefully some medium format folks will step in with better help.

What is wrong with the lens? Not focusing at all or not focusing correctly.
01-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
No focusing properly, image look in focus when I look through the viewfinder, but the resulting picture in not in focus when I look at on the menu screen.

---------- Post added 01-09-18 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Short answer is 'yes'. In some cases there is a switch on the lens itself, in other cases there is a switch on the camera. Not being familiar with the camera I cannot help more than that. Look for a switch or lever marked 'MF / AF' or something similar.

Hopefully some medium format folks will step in with better help.

What is wrong with the lens? Not focusing at all or not focusing correctly.
Thanks! Found the "button" on the lens. It was next to the F stops. It was set on an F stop, vs A for Autofocus. I pressed the button, rotated past the F stops and set that baby to "A" Now she works perfectly.

Thanks to the Forum members for all the help. This 80-160 is a very nice lens as are all my others. It's just that this camera is heavy and doesn't lend itself to hand-held shooting.
01-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was set on an F stop, vs A for Autofocus. I pressed the button, rotated past the F stops and set that baby to "A" Now she works perfectly.
That button has nothing to do with autofocus. When it is in the 'A' position the camera can control the aperture of the lens with the dial on the camera. If not set to 'A' then you manually select the aperture by rotating the ring on the lens to the aperture you want to use. In almost all situations, with modern cameras, you would set this to the 'A' position and never take it off.

Autofocus is controlled by completely different switches.

01-09-2018, 01:39 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

... My only issue is that my 80-160 zoom FA lens does not seem to focus correctly. Is there any way to select "manual" and try focusing with that lens manually?
This lens is switched to manual focus by pulling the focusing ring towards the camera and then turning it to focus. Push the ring away from the camera body to re-engage AF.
01-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
This lens is switched to manual focus by pulling the focusing ring towards the camera and then turning it to focus. Push the ring away from the camera body to re-engage AF.
This ^

The focus ring moves along the lens barrel a few mm to toggle AF. You will see: "Auto Focus" revealed on the top of the lens barrel when the focus ring is pushed forward to engage AF.
I actually really like that system of engaging AF without cluttering the lens with more controls.

Also, it's a fine camera capable of great images. Enjoy yours now that it sounds like you can!

Last edited by mattb123; 01-09-2018 at 02:02 PM.
01-09-2018, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks
Things are coming together, especially with the help from the Forum.
01-10-2018, 01:09 AM   #11

I quite happily hand hold a 645z with no problems, I do set the base ISO at 200, its something to always have in the back of your mind, but its a perfectly useable camera to handhold in reasonable light, you can always increase the ISO and even ISO 800 is pretty good, expect to do some post noise reduction if you go above ISO 1600