Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Two Big Brutes Fighting Over 6x7 Camera

Well, I officially joined the club as my 6x7 showed up from Japan. Was super stoked to get it. Been reading a lot in the forum about these cameras, and still have some questions.

I live in So.Cal, I know there are different opinions but would like to hear any and all if you would like to advise. Any recommendations for the following:

Where to get film developed?
What brand and speed of film?
What telephoto lens to add to the 55mm f/3.5 I have? Been looking at both 200m f/4 lenses older and newer version, and the 150mm f/2.8 are my first choices.

I will send it off to Eric, as he currently has two Pentax ME's of mine doing his magic. I would like to shoot a few rolls before I send it off.

Last edited by Blasst; 01-23-2018 at 10:15 AM.
01-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If you shoot E6, the best lab for that is AgX in Michigan.Tell us what you shoot and we can tell you what film to use. The 200mm Pentax is exceptional and affordable. The older Takumar is not quite as good.
01-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
I will send it off to Eric, as he currently has two Pentax ME's of mine doing his magic. I would like to shoot a few rolls before I send it off.
Does Eric do 6x7's? I thought I read he didn't do 67s and 645s.
01-13-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Does Eric do 6x7's?

He did mine recently, but it's probably best to ask--he also might still be catching up on his backlog.

01-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #5

Hopefully I can be of some help.

Film-That depends on many factors including subject your likes what you are trying to do etc. Not sure if you are new to film or not but each film has its own looks. Here are some I have used in my 67 they still make. (I think)

Fuji Velvia 50 and 100- Slow speed film. Lots of contrast and very vibrant colors. Good for landscapes. Skin tones can look a little off if I remember. This is an E-6 slide film I prefer the 50 over the 100 for landscapes but that is just me. I use both.

Kodak Portra 160 and 400- Great for taking pictures of people. Very wide dynamic range and even tones. If you really need to flatten out and get details in shadows in a high contrast scene this may be a good choice. The colors do not have a lot of saturation but look more realistic. This is a c-41 ie print film

Kodak Tmax black and white- Traditional Black and white film with finer grain than the Tri-x. I prefer the look of this over the C-41 processed black and white film.

Illford- Delta 100 and 400. Another good choice for black and white film. It is traditional processing and has a diffrent look than Kodak. It is up to you what one you like best.

Illford HP-4 and HP-5 a finer grain Black and White film.

There really is no one best film but each has its own personality, strengths and weakness. Portra 400 may be better for one subject and Velvia 50 better for a different subject. Add that each person has their own style etc and you realize it is a never ending learning experience.

Try this. Find a subject you want to shoot. Try two different films and take the same photo with the same camera lens etc and that will teach you a lot about the differences in film. You tube videos don't do it justice. Pick one or two photos that is the same for comparison and have a large print with high res scans done. You may like the look of the c-41 process black and white or even using portra 400 then converting to black and white prints.

Lenses- Another subjective point that depends if your type of shooting and what you like.
Since you already have one lens one thing to look at is seeing what size the filter it takes. For instance my first lens was a 165 leaf shutter with a 77 mm objective. When I wanted to get a wider angle lens I got one with a 77mm so I could save on money because my filters fit both.

Congratulations on the new camera go out and enjoy.
01-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you are going to use Velvia or Provia, make sure your metering nous it up to scratch.

The TTL meter of the Pentax has a range of 5 stops from the middle (+2.5 and -2.5) and will easily botch bright scenes that do not fit the compressed dynamic range of Velvia and Provia. Things get easier, albeit a bit more complex, if a handheld spot meter is employed to 'sweep' the scene's contrast and brightness and assess it for either/both films. For exposures longer than 1 second, you will need a handheld meter anyway, the 1 second max being a quaint reminder of a bygone era. My own exposures are often in the range of 30 seconds to more than a minute, all separately metered with filter factors and reciprocity number crunched!

Provia is better suited to people photography for its more balanced interpretation of skin tones whereas RVP50 can be gaudy and red and will exacerbate any already strong primaries extant in a scene. I've liked Portra 160 for the very small number of formal portraits I've done. It is a bit bland for nature/landscape photography.

The TTL meter is well able to accommodate colour negative and B&W films.
01-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
ekaphoto and Silent Street, I appreciate your advice and taking the time to share it. I am leaning towards my first roll being black and white. I am waiting for a custom grip to get here first, before I went out with the 6x7 for the first time. I will run a couple rolls through it and see how things turn out. Maybe I won't need to send it in to Eric for a CLA.....then again it is a old camera.

---------- Post added 01-23-18 at 11:02 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by desertscape Quote
If you shoot E6, the best lab for that is AgX in Michigan.Tell us what you shoot and we can tell you what film to use. The 200mm Pentax is exceptional and affordable. The older Takumar is not quite as good.
desertscape, are you asking what type of things I shoot? Most of my work has been video over the years, lots of sports, but I just want to learn how to use a film camera better than I know now, so will probably start with random street snaps, hikes, etc. I would like to test it on sporting events just to see what I can do with it.

Last edited by Blasst; 01-23-2018 at 10:04 AM.