Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-02-2018, 03:45 AM   #16

I am not a professional photographer, so I don't feel the need to have a back-up system. I have a Z which I used a lot (usually with 28-45DA + 90 DFA+ 150FA), without another camera ever at the same time. When I pick up this gear, I know it can cover my needs, and reliability has never been a problem. But I would never take this kit for motorsports ; in this case I choose something else than the Z, and I never mix systems.
I've tried taking 2 different systems during some travels, and in fact I never use the "smaller" one because I feel I could have better pictures with the Z. True, it is not a light system, but the results are rewarding and it kills the wish to use something else.

02-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SylvainB Quote
I am not a professional photographer, so I don't feel the need to have a back-up system. I have a Z which I used a lot (usually with 28-45DA + 90 DFA+ 150FA), without another camera ever at the same time. When I pick up this gear, I know it can cover my needs, and reliability has never been a problem. But I would never take this kit for motorsports ; in this case I choose something else than the Z, and I never mix systems.
I've tried taking 2 different systems during some travels, and in fact I never use the "smaller" one because I feel I could have better pictures with the Z. True, it is not a light system, but the results are rewarding and it kills the wish to use something else.
This kind of sums up my feelings. Even if I take the K1 I will usually be using the Z first as I just prefer it overall but then I feel like I SHOULD use the Z to try and get a different composition with the 15-30 and this then interrupts my thought processes and I find myself getting tangled with the different filter systems etc. On my recent trip to New Zealand almost all of my final 'keepers' were with the Z and I used the K1 for timelapses and some (mostly unsuccessful) telephoto landscapes. I went shooting this morning and left all my K1 gear at home for a change and it was nice

In terms of backup I can totally manage without a backup most of the year while I am shooting locally but I would not dream of going on a photo-centric trip (such as Namibia which I may do again next year) without having a plan B body. Using the K1 as a backup is fine but I just then have to carry another lens for it. Having a 645D as a backup may make more sense.