Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
I feel the need. The need to.... simplify.

I'm using a Z plus 28-45 for most of my landscape work. Having sold all my old canon gear I invested in a K1, 15-30, 24-70 and 70-200 to act as backup to the Z and also for some other focal lengths and I am very pleased with the results I get with that gear BUT I still find that my most successful images usually come from the Z/28-45 and that is the combo I can get away with 90% of the time. I also find that I am a bit tired of the complication of working with a second system and the extra weight and doubling up on focal lengths and the extra bulk of the filter system I need for the 15-30. I find things more enjoyable and my thinking clearer when I can just work with one camera and lens. I also find my need for a smaller camera system much less now for family 'snaps' given how good my galaxy S8 phone's images are.

Would it be stupid to get rid of my K1 system and just have my Z, 28-45 and 55 (and maybe the 90) as my only system? I would miss some shots I'm sure but not many and it might be a worthwhile trade-off. The only drawback is a lack of backup body and I may need to find a cheap 645D just to have around in case.

Who here uses JUST the 645 system with no other smaller system as an alternative?

01-15-2018, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always feel better shooting knowing I have another camera with me just in case. But for me there is another reason
I have more than one camera system...travel. If I am on a road trip in my car I shoot with my 645N with all my lenses I
think I might need. On the other hand, if traveling in Asia where anything big is a handicap, I carry my MZ-S and my
Fuji X100 as a backup and for shooting street or low light conditions.
01-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If it frees you mind to focus on your art, and not your gear, then that's what you should do. I find my favorite times are when i carry only one or two prime lenses. Sure, there are lots of shots I don't get, but it frees me to think only in that one (or 2) FL(s),
01-16-2018, 02:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Depends what you shoot and where. I take most of my photos when I travel 3-4 times a year and I know I couldn’t do without the 28-45 and 80-160.

I also use a Canon 5D4 with a 16-35, 24-70 and 70-300 plus a 14mm for Astro. If Pentax released a new 45-90 OS for the 645z I could probably travel with just that because I shoot a lot at short tele, more than wide.

I don’t like changing lenses when out so I think 2 bodies with 2 lenses is the trick. I say keep the K1 and 15-30 then also travel with the 645Z and another lens like the 45-85 or 80-160.

Our biggest issue is Pentax is very late to release a new wide or tele lenses. You wouldn’t be having this conversation if you shot Hassleblad or Fuji as they have all you need (or will inside 6months).

01-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #5

I have an almost identical set up to you, I use my Z for portraits / nudes and landscapes and use the K1 for Wildlife / Sport and Macro, I find it easy then just to pick up the bag that has the camera for the task im on,

I don't have the 15-30 for the K1 as the 28 - 45 works for me also although not as wide, but you can be to wide sometimes, also have a 45 - 85 and an 80 -160 supplemented with a 150 F2.8 as a portraiture lens for the Z whilst the K1 has a 24-70 / 70 - 200 / 100 - 300 and a 150 - 450 for company.

Chris
01-16-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Gyroscope Quote
I feel the need. The need
Thought I had this one cracked with the answer being... "The need for speed"

01-17-2018, 07:09 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your responses. I think I may try leaving the K1 system home for the next few shoots to see how it works out. I think I do still need a telephoto option if I went all 645 and would love the 90 as it is modern and WR but maybe the 120 is more sensible costwise. Of course the other option is to get rid of the 645 and just have a K1 system but that would be painful....

01-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for your responses. I think I may try leaving the K1 system home for the next few shoots to see how it works out. I think I do still need a telephoto option if I went all 645 and would love the 90 as it is modern and WR but maybe the 120 is more sensible costwise. Of course the other option is to get rid of the 645 and just have a K1 system but that would be painful....
Yes, and you would most certainly miss it and the image quality it can produce. Been there. Done that. Second round with 645Z and K-1 as a result. Economic concerns motivated it selling the first 645Z kit. If that is not an issue, the simplist way to simplify is to take out one kit at a time. Both cameras can create images that inspire and spark creativity. It is important to value your art and yourself enough to keep both whether you shoot professionally or simply for the joy of it. Just my 2 cents.
01-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #9

Who here uses JUST the 645 system with no other smaller system as an alternative?
Me, and I am totally happy with my 646D and 3,5/35, 2,8/90 and (sometimes...) 2,8/150 😎👍

It enlightens not only my back but also my mind. But thats a personal thing I suppose.
01-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ive been trying to downsize as well. I have a k-1, 645z, and an em1 ii. I find myself only using the k1 on special outings. I guess its more for the idea of making sure the camera gets used. Granted i love the color it produces, especially the black and whites, but i have no purpose in owning that many cameras, and well after i discovered the 4:3 ratio the 2:3 ratio of full frame feels too long. Outside of those events i use the olympus and 645z for 90 percent of my shots, been happy with both covers wide to long and i can stay with the 4:3 ratio that i like so much. Also by limiting yourself to a smaller selection of camera/lens combo, you are able to get better shots then having a large selection and thinking about which one you should pull out of the bag. who knows maybe that great once in a lifetime shot might not be there anymore. In short though, besides the size id be perfectly ok with giving up all my other gear and keeping only my 645z with the 35, 55, and either the 135 or 150.

01-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ristretto Quote
Me, and I am totally happy with my 646D and 3,5/35, 2,8/90 and (sometimes...) 2,8/150 😎👍

It enlightens not only my back but also my mind. But thats a personal thing I suppose.
Cool. So do you have a back up body or do you just hope nothing goes wrong with the D?
01-18-2018, 01:12 AM   #12

Cool. So do you have a back up body or do you just hope nothing goes wrong with the D?

I am not in the situation that I could afford a spare camera with the pricetag of a 645D just for laying around in case of... But I am a lucky man, 6 years of constant use and no issues at all.

In case of need I think it would be no problem these days to catch a used 645D very quickly.
01-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
Forum Member

While I have other cameras, both smaller and larger, I never carry more than one with me unless it's a paying job. Shooting for pay requires a different approach and I usually carry at least two of pretty much everything.

For travel, we're fortunate in being able to go out of the country on a fairly regular basis. We take carry on luggage only, use public transportation, and walk an average of around 10 miles a day. Carrying more than one camera under such circumstances is a non starter, particularly for someone who hasn't had a travel camera go down on them since starting photography in the mid 1960's.

While I readily admit that that there's probably some poor sod who, at this very minute, has dropped his camera in the Seine, but chances are it ain't gonna be you . I wouldn't advocate selling stuff, just don't try to carry everything at the same time. Take as little stuff as possible, you will enjoy the trip more, and your back, feet, and wife will thank you.

Last edited by postnobills; 01-19-2018 at 09:25 AM.
01-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #14

U should just get a 645D body and have that as a backup. I find the colors more pleasing out of the box on the D anyway.
01-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #15

Since I changed systems from Mamiya and Phase One back to the Zed. It became quite obvious to me the need for a second system was not required, so my extensive Fuji X series kit has gone, I’ve kept the bodies, as I still like the firm factor and I have a thing for keeping things. Should I get too decrepit to carry the medium format kit in the field, I can always buy a couple of Fuji lenses.

The Zed ticks all the boxes for me, I can shoot quite happily hand held, has great ISO performance, and a good selection of great glass.