Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
It looks like footprints in the sand to me, i we are looking at the same image. Take another look.

Rick “who needs to edit this well, but doesn’t” Denney
I dont know if we are looking at the same image.
Looking at the gallery on my laptop it is the last image in the 6th row. (All rows have 3 images). I'm not talking about footprints. At the top right corner
going down the edge it starts as a dune, then abruptly there appears a glaring whitish line? starting at the edge and pierces into the image towards the left. Directly underneath is a blurry almost rocky image that looks totally out of place. I saw it instantly as a glaring mistake and repeated examination doesnt change my opinion.
However I am interested in other opinions

12-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m looking on my iphone—“top right” has no meaning. The site renders based on viewing device.

Rick “who looked at the first dunes photo he saw” Denney
12-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rdenney Quote
I’m looking on my iphone—“top right” has no meaning. The site renders based on viewing device.

Rick “who looked at the first dunes photo he saw” Denney
I will try spell it out even clearer: It is the second sand dune image
12-11-2018, 03:11 AM   #34

Original Poster
Hi folks, yes indeed I've found the image in question. It may be better to view the images via the portfolio page portfolio ? Darren Lewey as the front page is just a teaser. The 4th image in the dunes gallery does indeed have a striking white line or two in the top right corner but checking the processing for that file, there's no brush work or any manipulation in that area. The overall image had minimal work done, only curves and levels which increased the contrast. Essentially the white line is the top edge and bank of the dune that's lost texture detail in process. Certainly these small elements become essential when printing and enlarging, not something I do as yet. Megapixel has a keen eye and it's something I'll look at toning down if possible, so thanks for the observation.

12-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by moroccanimager Quote
Hi folks, yes indeed I've found the image in question. It may be better to view the images via the portfolio page portfolio ? Darren Lewey as the front page is just a teaser. The 4th image in the dunes gallery does indeed have a striking white line or two in the top right corner but checking the processing for that file, there's no brush work or any manipulation in that area. The overall image had minimal work done, only curves and levels which increased the contrast. Essentially the white line is the top edge and bank of the dune that's lost texture detail in process. Certainly these small elements become essential when printing and enlarging, not something I do as yet. Megapixel has a keen eye and it's something I'll look at toning down if possible, so thanks for the observation.
Thanks for your reply and hope you appreciate the spirit it was intended. I appreciate your explanation and am looking again it again in light of it.
I don't necessarily have a keen eye: in fact I instantly felt something didn't work in that top right quarter of the image. However it's only my perception.
Your gallery as a whole is beautiful. Many of the images will look magnificent gracing walls when you eventually get into printing them
05-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #36

Original Poster
JPEG presets

Recently I've been using the JPEG settings on the 645Z. I've found 'radiant' to be my current favourite. The following is a gallery produced during the current lockdown in a forest close to where I live. Adjustments on the computer are mainly limited to levels using Mac 'Preview'. I've bypassed the usual software in post, although I did attempt to work the Raw files to get the same look in C1 but without success. River path
05-10-2020, 07:35 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recently I've been using the JPEG settings on the 645Z. I've found 'radiant' to be my current favourite. The following is a gallery produced during the current lockdown in a forest close to where I live. Adjustments on the computer are mainly limited to levels using Mac 'Preview'. I've bypassed the usual software in post, although I did attempt to work the Raw files to get the same look in C1 but without success. River path
Very nice. Reminds me of Ektar vs. Portra.

'Radiant' (page 68 of the 645Z Operating Manual) had avoided my notice. Did you set any of the parameters shown in the page 68 table to values other than whatever the Z defaults to for your gallery images?

05-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #38

Original Poster
Thanks, no I stuck with the defaults, I had Portra 160 set on my phone app which I use to compose ('viewfinder') and scrolled through the Z settings until radiant offered something close. Usually I ignore JPEG settings. One reason perhaps, for not playing with the parameters is, I was exploring subjects from the start and so became 'locked in' to composition early rather than vary the parameters and experiment. I did underexpose as per usual with the Z and this allowed some level work back on the computer without highlights blowing out. The set is really as much about finding interest amidst the scruffy. I've also recently been using the mono setting for another project. Again, I like the tones, In the shadow of the factory.
05-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the insights on 'Radiant.'
I've also recently been using the mono setting for another project. Again, I like the tones, In the shadow of the factory.
Mono shots are also impressive.
05-12-2020, 08:42 AM   #40

Original Poster
Many thanks. It's still in development but slowly chipping away.