Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2018, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Did anyone find out if Eric fixes the 645N?

Sorry to hear about Rich's KEH disaster. Have you filed a report to the BBB?

One time I sent a lens to Nikon for repairs and they immediately sent me macro photos of additional damage to the lens that I did not report....because when I shipped the lens, it didn't have those additional problems. It came down to my word vs. their word, so ever since, I photograph and document everything I send and then include that to the sender in case I need to make a claim against the shipper or against the repair facility.

OP: Update?
Eric does not repair 645N. He can't get parts.

I did not report to BBB.

Didn't even think of doing that. But the whole experience was very bad.

02-23-2018, 03:54 AM - 2 Likes   #17

Original Poster
Read this!

Thank you for your comments!

What happened to my camera?
Thecamera came back from Hamburg, no repair were made, the error was"multiple layers" they claimed. Lack of spare parts was aproblem.
I contactedseveral stores around the world. Everyone said they did notrepair 645's.

What to do? Iwent to Ebay and found a nice 645N body with a fair price tag. So I bought it at once! It arrived and lookedfine, worked perfectly too!

But,I have always felt that the problem was not serious with my old 645N body. Itseemed as the camera had stopped in some position from where it could not comeback to normal operation by itself. After manyattempts, I noticed that the repair shop had manipulated with all the buttons. That is normal, I think? Ireturn to the settings I usually use. Pressingthe shutter button I could hear a "click", that was new !! Before it was completely"dead". Something hadchanged! WhenI pressed the shutter button and the little "wind film to its end"button simultaneously, the motor started and stopped, just like a normalexposure. Itried some more times, everything seemed normaI? I loaded a film, good, andadvanced film to "frame 1". Iwent out, took some shots in different exposure modes, AF tested and even withflash FTZ500. Afterdeveloping the film, I could see that everything worked perfectly! Perfect!

What could we learn from this?.. Well, don’t trust everything you hear justlike that. Trust your instinct! Don´t give up! (At least not at once!!)

Whatto do with my "new" (it is actually older!) 645N body ... I thinkI'll keep it, just in case!
Rgds
Anders
02-23-2018, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As a long time 645 and 645N owner, I appreciate this thread for all the info for that future date when I may need to send mine for repair. Also appreciate Anders follow up on both his old and new 645N.

Over the decades of ownership, my own 645 has had "gremlins" of going from brick-like status to totally normal, and often without me identifying the fault or the fix. I am sure it must have been a power or electronics related issue, as anything mechanical wouldnʻt just fix itself (without a gremlin putting things back).

I also have a theory for Anders that by buying the replacement 645N, that fixed your original camera. When you only have one, you need a back up. When you have a back up, you really only need one. Itʻs one of the laws of the Universe that the ʻforceʻ wonʻt revoke because itʻs just too ironic.
02-23-2018, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #19

Pentax 645N Repair

Hi All,
After much research I found a camera repair company in Quebec City. The name is Service Camera Pro, 2042 boul. Pere Lelieve, Quebec, Q.C. Postal Code is GIP 2W9 or G1P 2W9, Tel 418-527-0880 speak to Rene. He is terrific fixed my 645N and spoke excellent English, and charged a fair price. Highly recommended.
Samuel

02-24-2018, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #20

645n repair

Hi Anders,
I found the best 645N repair guy. He does all cameras as well.

He is Rene Genest
Service Camera Pro
2042 boul. Pere Lelieve
Quebec, Q.C
GIP 2W9 (or G1P 2W9)
418-527-0880

Good Luck

Samuel Kaymen
02-24-2018, 07:35 PM   #21

Wow.

Great to know. Thanks!

Rich
03-06-2018, 01:22 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thank you!

Hello.

Thank you for all information about repair possibilities for the 645N! As you know my problem was solved but I will keep your information for the future. If....?
I am also thinking about selling one of my 645N in favour for a 645Nii? Is that a good idea? There is only minor difference between the models, I think.
Maybe, soon, I can do this transaction without any extra cost! But is the 645Nii actually a better camera? MLU seems to be the most important new feature.
If caps, to external power inlet, PC-sync outlet etc, are missing; where can I buy such things. Is there a market place for this or do I have to search all over the internet?

Again, Thank you.
It is good to know there are many guys out there, ready to help!!
Rgds
Anders

03-06-2018, 02:42 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by perstromer Quote
I am also thinking about selling one of my 645N in favour for a 645Nii? Is that a good idea?
Anders
Anders,
The two main upgrades between the 645N and the 645NII was the mirror lock up and half EV shutter speeds.

That would give the NII a bit less chance of internal vibration blur on tripod shots in the 1" to 1/125" range. Half EV stops/steps is nice if youʻre shooting with a film with very little exposure latitude like a low ISO slide film such as Velvia 50 or Provia 100.

Personally, neither of those features are significant enough in my opinion to upgrade, other than the NII could be anywhere from one to twelve years newer. (645N=1997-2001; 645NII=2001-2009).
06-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem as you, my 645 broke, because the assistant put the wrong lens in the camera, damaged the part that controls the diaphragm mechanism. Any update on repair center in europe?

about assistance in canada does anyone have his email?
06-11-2022, 01:05 AM - 2 Likes   #25

Original Poster
Thank You for your answers. My problem is now over. The problem was that the camera had locked itself in a position from were it could not recover itself.
Solution: I pressed the tiny switch that wind the film to its end and at the same time pressed the normal switch for taking pictures. After that the camera worked as normal!
I have two 645, one 645N and one 645 NII. Fantastic cameras.
Anders
06-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by willeisner Quote
I have the same problem as you, my 645 broke, because the assistant put the wrong lens in the camera, damaged the part that controls the diaphragm mechanism. Any update on repair center in europe?

about assistance in canada does anyone have his email?
I found this on the Ricoh website. Foto Maerz - Impressum

By email and phone they were very helpful and next month I'm taking my camera for a service.
06-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel Kaymen Quote
He is Rene GenestService Camera Pro2042 boul. Pere LelieveQuebec, Q.CGIP 2W9 (or G1P 2W9)
Service Camera Pro is located at 2042 Boulevard Père Lelièvre, Quebec City, Quebec. The Postal Code is G1P 2W9. Sometimes, I can attest they perform miracles.

E-mail address : "servicecamerapro@gmail.com"

P. S. In French a "lièvre" is a hare, a wild rabbit. "Père Lelièvre" was an Oblate Father born in France in 1876. He died in 1956 in Canada after spending his whole adult life in Quebec.

Best Regards

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 06-11-2022 at 01:13 PM.
06-16-2022, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #28

I'm glad to hear that service is still available for these cameras.

Alas, I have just listed my two 645N cameras and associated gear on "the big auction site."

No more film.

I can still remember the smell of developer, fixer and the film stock itself when I processed my first rolls of film in the mid 1950s. A lifetime of almost 70 years of continuous "wet process" photography. Amateur and professional.

No more.

I'll just have to be satisfied now with the superb quality from my Fujifilm GFX 100s and it's incredible array of lenses.

Keep the faith, everyone.

Rich
06-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #29

thank you all very much, I will get in touch with both assistances. hopeful of concerted screen