Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

Pentax 67 broken chain – can I still use it

Unfortunately I broke the chain in my new Pentax 67 and I was wondering if the camera is still operational if I were to use an external lightmeter. So can I still use the camera to take photos? I am using the 105mm lens. Does the lens maybe need to be in manual or auto to work, does it matter?

02-10-2018, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Hen_K Quote
Unfortunately I broke the chain in my new Pentax 67 and I was wondering if the camera is still operational if I were to use an external lightmeter. So can I still use the camera to take photos? I am using the 105mm lens. Does the lens maybe need to be in manual or auto to work, does it matter?
External light meter will work. Prism light meter will work if the lens is set to Manual. This is a good time to try the other finders since only the Metering Prism uses the chain.

Sterling
02-11-2018, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can use a separate hand-held meter to determine the exposure in the absence of a functioning TTL meter.
The meter coupling chain is a weak-link, engineering wise, in both the Pentax 6x7 (1969) and the later Pentax 67 (1989) cameras, although small improvements were made throughout in the 1989 release. It breaks because of repeated stress caused by improper alignment of the meter coupling chain with the TTL meter.

Repair is fairly involved and intricate, and post-repair requires calibration of the lens mount and focusing to regain accuracy. Threading a replacement chain is straightforward in skilled hands, but it does require removal of the lens mount to access the inner workings — there is no way around that.

To avoid stressing and breaking the chain, if you remove the prism —, remove the lens. THEN, re-mount the prism and finally re-attach the lens.
02-13-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

A light meter app for you phone works wonders. The one I use has a mode where it actually takes a picture to get the meter reading and in that case you get matrix metering that really does a good job.

02-14-2018, 01:29 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. I was shooting with it two rolls and everything just works fine.
I think though that I will send it in for repair as I am nice to my cameras. Hopefully it does not happen again. But if I am not changing the viewfinder or at least follow the advise from silent street it should stay intact.