Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2018, 05:27 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Forum Member

6x7 Dual Custom Grips

I had Snapu, the seasoned custom right hand grip maker for these cameras, make me a custom grip for the right hand side out of the super dark wood which will cost you extra

And I liked it so well I convinced him that a grip could also be made for the left hand side, using the right hand side metal plate, though he came up with the final solution knowing how the locking bracket would not work by flipping the plate over. The left hand grip does stick out a bit more due to that side of the camera not being as wide as the right. It doesn't bother me and I love how the black wood looks and the camera looks better balanced aesthetically to me, along with being able to hold the camera better with the left hand when needed.

The metal plate that attaches to the wood is silver, and I used some black 3M tape on the exposed parts of it to give it a better final look IMHO.
I use a wrist strap made out of Paracord 550 mounted to the tripod socket for that extra protection, and I can also let the weight of the camera be on my arm and not the fingers while carrying it this way.

The factory left hand grip looks good, yet I wanted to have it done this way as an option.
Next time, I will have him make both, at the same time to get them even closer in appearance.
Snapu makes a great product and I really appreciate him doing this for me and having patience with all my back and forth emails for the last month!

Last edited by Blasst; 02-14-2018 at 05:33 PM.
02-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
looking good! I actually have to get in touch and get a grip made myself. The regular one that is.
02-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

I would post a like but I cannot see the option to do so!

Regards.
02-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I see some kind of strap attached. Where does the necks strap attach?

02-15-2018, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I would post a like but I cannot see the option to do so!

Regards.
Thanks, not sure why there is no option for you to like my post, it doesn't give me the option on my own posts that I see, not that I would vote for my own posts, so you don't see a thumbs up icon on my posts either?

---------- Post added 02-15-18 at 11:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I see some kind of strap attached. Where does the necks strap attach?
I have a wrist strap made from paracord 550 mounted to the tripod slot. I can also fasten a neck strap there, but I prefer the smaller form factor of the wrist strap on my cameras.

---------- Post added 02-15-18 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by apathey2131978 Quote
looking good! I actually have to get in touch and get a grip made myself. The regular one that is.
Having a grip on this camera is fantastic, I know you will enjoy having one.....or two

Last edited by Blasst; 02-15-2018 at 10:34 AM.
03-02-2018, 06:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i was wondering what is the price for the grip ?
03-03-2018, 06:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
i was wondering what is the price for the grip ?
Mine were a bit more as I used a type of wood he doesn't stock, so send him an email to get a price: myoatmail@gmail.com

04-05-2018, 06:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks gorgeous. Sent him an email this morning.
04-29-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My rosewood grip arrived last week. It really changes the way you hold the camera and reduces fatigue. @Blasst, what is the mount you’re using for the wrist strap attachment?
04-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
My rosewood grip arrived last week. It really changes the way you hold the camera and reduces fatigue. @Blasst, what is the mount you’re using for the wrist strap attachment?
Cool, welcome to the custom grip club

I bought the Peak anchor mounts which are very strong, yet are flatter with a lower profile, than most tripod anchor mounts that I have used.

amazon.com : Peak Design Anchor Mount for Camera Straps : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
04-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blasst Quote
Cool, welcome to the custom grip club

I bought the Peak anchor mounts which are very strong, yet are flatter with a lower profile, than most tripod anchor mounts that I have used.

amazon.com : Peak Design Anchor Mount for Camera Straps : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
One more thing - what did you use to blacken the metal bar stock used to attach the grip to the camera body lugs?
05-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
One more thing - what did you use to blacken the metal bar stock used to attach the grip to the camera body lugs?
Ha, the silver bothered you also I used 3M Super 33+ black vinyl electrical tape, trimmed it to fit and it works great. This tape is used on car window trim areas also, works great there, as I've used it for that application also.

3M Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl Electrical Tape, .75-Inch by 66-Feet, 4-PACK: amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific?tag=pentaxforums-20&

You can buy it in shorter lengths, or just get one roll instead of the 4pack listed in the link.